History:
    got a 9900, downloaded 7.1OS, shrunk it on disk with BB Boss 2.2
    While updating the phone, i got an error message on the phone asking me to go to http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe....com/507...the phone was bricked (i guess)

while it was updating, it created a backup file LoaderBackup-(2012-02-16).bbb

i was finally able to get the software loaded, but i cant get the .bbb backup file to be seen by the desktop manager so i can restore my contacts etc.

can any one help me ?

worst case scenario, the phone was on my company's BES plan, so when i get it reactivated tomorrow, im guessing all those settings will be restored as well. (I really hope so anyway)

but what about that .bbb file. would I have to load another software version, and then upgrade again to 7.1 so the DM can use the .bbb file ?
    Last edited by yunvi; 02-16-12 at 10:30 PM.
    02-16-12 10:21 PM
    So you created a back up file while updating the handset os? Or before/after? A little clarity on the sequence of events will help, plus that back-up file, what size is it?
    yunvi likes this.
    02-16-12 10:28 PM
    Which version of Desktop Manager are you using?

v6 and older supports .ipd backup files, and the newer v7 supports .bbb backup files.
    yunvi likes this.
    02-16-12 10:33 PM
    So you created a back up file while updating the handset os? Or before/after? A little clarity on the sequence of events will help, plus that back-up file, what size is it?
    - well i installed the OS7.1 on the pc
    - shrunk it on disk with BB Boss
    - connected the phone
    - DM asked if i wanted to upgrade..i said yeah
    - then DM asked if i wanted to backup...i said yeah
    - while DM was updating, first thing it does it the back up (im guess thats the .bbb file)
    somewhere around "connecting to JVM" process, an error was displayed on my phone saying the software cant be loaded, see Installing Device Software

i then deleted the OS7.1 from the computer, and then reinstalled it, and then ran the loader from BB Boss.
    Phone's fine now, but clean...all my contacts etc is gone.

the .bbb file is ~7mb
    02-16-12 10:36 PM
    Which version of Desktop Manager are you using?

v6 and older supports .ipd backup files, and the newer v7 supports .bbb backup files.
    Desktop Manager 6.1.0.35.

was going to download the 7, but after all those issues voiced in here about it not working, i decided against that.
    02-16-12 10:38 PM
    Desktop Manager 6.1.0.35.

was going to download the 7, but after all those issues voiced in here about it not working, i decided against that.
    I would update to v7 as that definitely supports the .bbb backup file you have there.
    The only issues I believe are with syncing, which I don't do anyway.
    yunvi likes this.
    02-16-12 10:41 PM
    I would update to v7 as that definitely supports the .bbb backup file you have there.
    The only issues I believe are with syncing, which I don't do anyway.
    ooooh. Will give that a shot right now.

thanks for the help by the way folks. much appreciated.
    02-16-12 10:43 PM
    - well i installed the OS7.1 on the pc
    - shrunk it on disk with BB Boss
    - connected the phone
    - DM asked if i wanted to upgrade..i said yeah
    - then DM asked if i wanted to backup...i said yeah
    - while DM was updating, first thing it does it the back up (im guess thats the .bbb file)
    somewhere around "connecting to JVM" process, an error was displayed on my phone saying the software cant be loaded, see Installing Device Software

i then deleted the OS7.1 from the computer, and then reinstalled it, and then ran the loader from BB Boss.
    Phone's fine now, but clean...all my contacts etc is gone.

the .bbb file is ~7mb
    7 megs sounds right for size. sounds to me like the first time BB Boss got rid of something it shouldn't of but you got it the second time. phill_uk is right, use dm7 to try to load the backup file, i would suggest a clean uninstall of dm6 before installing dm7. good luck!
    yunvi likes this.
    02-16-12 10:49 PM
    thanks guys. the restoration worked fine with the DM7.

Strange enough, it didnt restore either of the apps i had installed (flixster & gas buddy). Also, the phone is reeeeeally reeeeally slow now. Mem usage is about the same as before the upgrade. hoping a few bat pulls does the trick
    02-16-12 11:18 PM
    thanks guys. the restoration worked fine with the DM7.

Strange enough, it didnt restore either of the apps i had installed (flixster & gas buddy). Also, the phone is reeeeeally reeeeally slow now. Mem usage is about the same as before the upgrade. hoping a few bat pulls does the trick
    Glad it worked out for you.

Unfortunately DM doesn't backup 3rd party apps, unless you do it like this. If you installed those apps from App World, it's an easy process to reinstall them.

A few battery pulls will definitely do the trick
    02-16-12 11:26 PM
    Hi,

You may also try using the Blackberry Backup Extractor tool to retrieve the files directly from the backup. It can recover contacts, call histories, SMS and text messages, calendar entries, notes, app files, saved games, etc. It works for both .ipd and .bbb files. Just give it a try, it's worth it.
    02-23-12 08:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD