Hi,

I will be traveling to Cuba from Canada for vacation later this July for one week and would like to take my BlackBerry Bold 9900 with me. However the travel packages are ridiculously priced ($150 for 15mb of data). With that being said, what can I do with 15mb of data? I am only planning on checking Twitter a few times a day, very limited email with no attachments (under 5 emails per day while on vacation), and very limited BBM, and very limited browsing.
    06-26-12 08:17 AM
    Hello,
    I just had people on my family plan go to England and previously to Mexico. The lessons I learned at ATT were that you need to get a data, texting, and voice plan. Unless you are going to do all your messaging from e-mail and BBM.

I've learned the hard way to call the carrier and specifically ask questions instead of relying on them to tell me what I need. I would take the charge up front so you at least know the cost. Otherwise, you could be looking at a BIG surprise when you come home.

Sadly, it is just part of the cost of traveling as far as I know.

Enjoy your trip.

P.S. I believe each country is different and so look at your bill when you return. That will help you for next time. Also, at ATT the bill was prorated. So if you get a monthly quote but only spend a week there you should be able to only pay a fraction of the quote. Just make sure you call as soon as you get back to cancel.
    boys_inter likes this.
    06-26-12 08:44 AM
    If there is wifi at the resort, you can set the data roaming to off and just use wifi for everything else. You will need the Bell SIM card in the phone. I don't know if you need the cellular radio on for it to work though.

It looks like it is about $25 a mb (.025 per kb) if you do not buy a plan. Voice is $3.49 a minute.

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Netw...h_will_it_cost
    Last edited by robsteve; 06-26-12 at 09:26 AM.
    boys_inter likes this.
    06-26-12 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD