06-16-18 07:01 PM
    Why BlackBerry dusted off a 7-year-old phone to inspire the new Key2
    Hey Ralph, you're still out there ....!
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    06-17-18 02:32 AM
    It's a pity they didn't use a picture of the 9900. Not all Bold's are the same!
    RaybanRJ and DWonder like this.
    06-17-18 02:34 AM
    It's a pity they didn't use a picture of the 9900. Not all Bold's are the same!
    When I first part of the article I thought OK maybe they used the exact mould from a 9900 but I guess that’s wishful thinking. I hadn’t even seen what a K2 looked like until I found this.
    06-17-18 03:28 AM
    It makes a good story for the hipsters I guess. But to anyone who has owned a Passport SE, they K2 looks like exactly the same design, reformatted for 4 row keyboard. In fact you can scroll to the bottom where they have a picture of the PPSE.
    BlackBerry already did the homework to get the keys right, swipe and all, for the Passport, there was no need to start from scratch
    06-18-18 03:22 PM
    It's nice to see recognition as an honorable mention, at least. Only smart to invoke BB's single most successful model. Imo.

I haven't tried a K2 but, as with my K1, it still looks to be a mini tablet monster slab with a (possibly good) keyboard patched onto the bottom. I don't have much complaint about K1's KB, in itself. The monstrously oversized chassis that represents the other half of the PKB represents the single biggest impediment to typing proficiency, for me. If the chassis itself were sanely sized, perhaps things like key shape, finish & spring rates might prove relevant. As it is, my single thumb type rate on k1 is less than 1/3 of what 9900 provides. I attribute K1's monstrous chassis dimensions to MOST of that handicap. imo.

There's little doubt I'd type faster than even my 9900 using an old IBM model M full sized PC KB. Fitting that full sized KB onto a mobile device will not result in satisfactory mobile typing experience, tho. Size matters!! They can fit the most superb KB ever onto a too large slab and it will still be a too large slab. MY hands have not grown significantly in the 7 years since 9900. Why do manufacturers persist to enable size envy insanity? Lol.

K2 is certainly in my future. Possibly the ONLY PKB future we'll have post 1/1/2020... But best doesn't equate to perfect. As we know, 9900 was a "Goldilocks perfect" result of quite a few years of hands-on feedback evolution. On MANY levels... Including KB.

Once perfection is achieved, attempts to "improve" on it most frequently degrade that perfection. My dream machine still represents our 9900 chassis withOUT alteration, fitted with K1/K2 guts... Similar to what many of us have begged for over these past 7 years... Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 06-24-18 at 11:35 AM.
    DWonder likes this.
    06-24-18 11:24 AM
    The 9900 inspired the Key2, which is now my daily driver, however the keyboard is far from the sublime creation that adorned the best Bold of all time. Put them side by side and you quickly understand that the Key2 took a less assertive or more subdued approach. Still, best keyboard device out there right now. Better than the Keyone for sure.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    07-17-18 08:51 PM
    I’m back in my hometown for a visit and I can’t wait to go to the local sasktel to see if they actually are stocking the K2 since they seem to usually have everything else from Blackberry.
    07-17-18 08:55 PM
    I've all but given up with my K1, it's just too big to become my daily driver. I suspect the K2 will be the same, although the typing experience (with matte, sculpted, bigger keys) should be better.
    For now, I'm sticking with the Q10 (or 9900) as my comms device. When I do need a bigger screen, I'll use a cheaper Android slab-phone (e.g. media consumption) or my MacBook (for more intense work related activity).

-- posted via CB10 on my Q10 --
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 07-18-18 at 08:34 AM.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    07-18-18 08:01 AM
    I've all but given up with my K1, it's just too big to become my daily driver. I suspect the K2 will be the same, although the typing experience (with matte, sculpted, bigger keys) should be better.
    For now, I'm sticking with the Q10 (or 9900) as my comms device. When I do need a bigger screen, I'll use a cheaper Android slab-phone (e.g. media consumption) or my MacBook (for more intense work related activity).

-- posted via CB10 on my Q10 --
    Even if they did make a new device that was exactly like the 9900 but with power to match today’s devices, can you just imagine the outrage most people would probably have that “it is too tiny!”

The tech media would tear it apart. “You need a magnifying glass to type on it!”

“I had it in my pocket but it was so light I didn’t know it and I searched my entire house for it”

After having large devices for the last several years you have to wonder how the mass majority would look upon something like this haha
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    07-18-18 11:31 AM
    Ok so I had a nice young lady show me the new Key2 and amazingly they still have the full Blackberry lineup.

I found the keyboard similar to the 9900’s for sure but I still prefer the “smile” upswept pattern of the keys on the 9900 because then you do not have to bury the device so low in your hands to reach the top row of keys with your thumbs. Still a pretty nice device.

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    07-25-18 04:04 PM
    Some stills

07-25-18 04:29 PM
    The K2 feels as dense as a 9900 so I think it will have better ergonomics than the K1.

The problem that BlackBerry has is that the PKB market world wide is quite small. They could make a 9900 replacement but the price point would have to be in the $250 range. Because of the small screen and limited uses they could get by with lesser internals.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 07-25-18 at 07:04 PM.
    07-25-18 04:46 PM
    The K2 feels as dense as a 9900 so I think it will have better economics than the K1.

The problem that BlackBerry has is that the PKB market world wide is quite small. They could make a 9900 replacement but the price point would have to be in the $250 range. Because of the small screen and limited uses they could get by with lesser internals.
    I would be happy even if a NEW 9900 only ran email, Phone calls and texting. Even without an App Store (because it would get me off my app addiction) because this is why I kinda went to a 9900 in the first place a few years ago, I just had too many apps on my iPhone 5C.

But of course it is always a necessity to have certain apps now and I would definitely not say “NO” to a 9900 “look-a-like” that had just basic functions and a few bonus apps like Twitter and Facebook.
    07-25-18 04:51 PM
    BlackBerry is unlikely to take on additional risks at this point in time.
    RaybanRJ likes this.
    07-25-18 04:59 PM