BlackBerry Bold 9900 Has Wireless Charging Built In? - BerryReview

Not sure why RIM would keep it a secret but who knows, it'd be neat.
    07-20-11 01:00 PM
    very interesting
    07-20-11 01:07 PM
    but if it had that capability, why also include the exterior charging contacts (presumably for the pod)? doesnt that seem redundant?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 01:14 PM
    This would be great and kinda ironic at the same time. A BlackBerry device (which typically has the best battery that lasts longer than it's competitors) won't need to be tied to it's wired charger but Android, iPhone don't yet have this and they need it the most.
    07-20-11 01:41 PM
    So basically it makes it a powermat back... stock
    this would be awsome if all the new phones coming out had it. i have a powermat for my old bold 9000 and 9700 and torch and i love them very convenient!
    if this is true good job RIM!
    07-20-11 01:44 PM
    Text of story:

I am still trying to confirm this rumor but the signs seem to be pointing in this direction� RIM has also been really hush about the Wi-Fi mobile hotspot feature in BlackBerry 7 devices so this could just be another hush feature.From what we are hearing the technology is built into the back cover which connects to the device. There are also two tiny prongs on the bottom of the device possibly for a cradle. I am really excited to see RIM getting in on the forefront of a new technology with wireless charging. This is the kind of engineering that will create buzz sort of like the Palm Touchstone wireless charger. It could also explain why this Bold 9900 is eschewing the faux leather back cover for this new meshed metal design. Originally we were told that the back cover was for NFC communication but it looks like it will be pulling double duty.

We knew that RIM was looking into wireless charging but it seems like they were holding back when they announced the BlackBerry Bold 9900 in May. We have been hearing rumors about RIM adding wireless charging but now two sources have confirmed the story. They heard from RIM that the BlackBerry Bold 9900 is packing wireless charging inside. We know that RIM is part of the Qi Wireless Consortium which promotes magnetic conductive charging (unlike inductive which has metal exposed) but I have not been able to confirm that it is using inductive charging.

Now, this would be quite a nice surprise!

Last edited by BergerKing; 07-20-11 at 02:43 PM.
    07-20-11 02:30 PM
    You do realize that those 2 metal prongs are the same as what was on the 9550 don't you.......

Personally I think it is just for added radio reception. But what do I know.
    07-20-11 02:49 PM
    I have a Pre with 2 touchstones - I have to admit - its awesome - I just toss it on and go..... This would be great to somehow be able to use the touchstones with this phone! Maybe one of the current users can look at the inside of the battery cover and see if their are metal prongs that connect to the battery terminals? Thats how the Pre has it - with a magnetic disk in the back cover.....
    Last edited by tliolos; 07-20-11 at 03:12 PM.
    07-20-11 03:09 PM
    but if it had that capability, why also include the exterior charging contacts (presumably for the pod)? doesnt that seem redundant?

I'm guessing that pod connectivity might be one reason but possibly also for a powered car cradle.
    I have a pod at home and another on my desk here at work for my Tour and love it. If there's no wireless charging but there ends up being a pod option then I'm definitely down with that. Either option would be great.
    07-20-11 03:47 PM
    I saw this article today, it seems pretty interesting. I just hope the 9930 actually comes out on July 28th after all.

07-20-11 03:50 PM
    The charging pods have been around since the 9000 and are better in my opinion than Power Mats, because they allow you to use your phone while charging and for those of us who enjoy bedside mode... it just makes sense; rather than the phone laying flat on its back charging on some ugly mat.

here is the charging Pod for the 9900
    07-20-11 04:02 PM
    articles been updated saying its for NFC.

and that pod looks wicked
    07-20-11 04:55 PM
    Wireless charging is via the accessory charging cradle that matches up with two contacts on the bottom of the phone edge/corners.

I do not see anything in my phone at the battery cover that would do inductive charging but it would be a nice feature. I just want the cradle.
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 07-20-11 at 06:12 PM.
    07-20-11 05:04 PM
    The inside of battery cover has the NFC, the two metal contacts on the inside and shown in the picture are part of the NFC.

07-20-11 06:24 PM
    The charging pods have been around since the 9000 and are better in my opinion than Power Mats, because they allow you to use your phone while charging and for those of us who enjoy bedside mode... it just makes sense; rather than the phone laying flat on its back charging on some ugly mat.

here is the charging Pod for the 9900
    I agree with your asthetic assessment of the inductive mats, I'd rather use a pod/dock myself. The price of those mats is definitely more than I'm gonna shuck out, but it would've been a nice surprise for some.

07-21-11 01:37 AM
    The inside of battery cover has the NFC, the two metal contacts on the inside and shown in the picture are part of the NFC.

I agree with the NFC antenna on the battery cover, but do you see any hint of a coil that would be required to charge via induction. Unless the NFC antenna has a dual purpose?
    07-21-11 05:04 AM
    I agree with your asthetic assessment of the inductive mats, I'd rather use a pod/dock myself.
    ^^this.

I think that the alternative charging option would have been nice all the same though for the 'wow' factor.
    RIM needs some unique features for these upcoming devices in order to stand out from the crowd in a good way.
    07-21-11 09:37 AM
    Soooo I remember hearing about this rumor.. I have my 9900 and just remembered this story, can we charge our 9900's wirelessly?? Thatd be sweet hopefully they can make it possible via nfc
    02-12-12 10:48 PM
    Hahaha just want to make sure you guys know that the two metal prongs connect to the back cover which also happens to be the NFC antenna.
    02-12-12 10:58 PM
    Soooo I remember hearing about this rumor.. I have my 9900 and just remembered this story, can we charge our 9900's wirelessly?? Thatd be sweet hopefully they can make it possible via nfc
    Ummmmmmm NOPE........
    02-13-12 08:02 AM
    NFC does not = Wireless charging.
    02-13-12 08:04 AM
    I saw a wireless charging pad for blackberries at Walmart the other day. Almost bought it, glad now I didn't.
    02-13-12 09:10 AM
    The 9900 has NO and will have no wireless charge capability, so I wouldn't be holding out for that...
    02-13-12 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD