I notice some of the BB devices like the Torch advertise 4GB of internal memory, but it ended up being 4GB micro SD card included. I hope that isnt the case with the BB Bold 9900.
    07-05-11 10:29 PM
    I notice some of the BB devices like the Torch advertise 4GB of internal memory, but it ended up being 4GB micro SD card included. I hope that isnt the case with the BB Bold 9900.
    It is, its just onboard memory... only for pictures and songs and media and whutevah.
    07-05-11 10:39 PM
    Meh, I'll just end up swapping out for my Torch's microsd anyways. But I wish that RIM would include 16GB of onboard storage so I wouldn't have to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 03:29 AM
    thats what i cant stand.. My Droid X has 8GB built in and came with a 16GB card
    07-06-11 02:14 PM
    32gb card on ebay is $20 cant go wrong there @ all
    07-07-11 09:31 AM
    32gb card on ebay is $20 cant go wrong there @ all
    $20 for 32GB Micro SD.. I'm sorry man but you get what you pay for and what you're getting for that is complete ****... You have to pay around $20 for an 8GB class 6 KNOWN BRAND micro sd.. You have to pay like $60 for a class 4 KNOWN brand micro sd (and by known brand, I mean one that isn't going to fall apart or break within a few weeks ie. the brand name cannot be "memory card" New 32gb micro sd card with Adapter | eBay)

Anyways, You have to spend at least $50 or $60 to get a good one, NOT $20 lol
    07-07-11 10:13 AM
    I think it's up to the carriers themselves if they want to include a microSD card w/the Bold 9900/9930...say, At&t might put in a 4GB or Sprint might put in a 8GB...I'm sure that SOME GB microsd card between 4-8gb will be preinstalled by the different carriers on the Bold 9900/9930
    07-07-11 12:51 PM
    I think it's up to the carriers themselves if they want to include a microSD card w/the Bold 9900/9930...say, At&t might put in a 4GB or Sprint might put in a 8GB...I'm sure that SOME GB microsd card between 4-8gb will be preinstalled by the different carriers on the Bold 9900/9930
    I'm not so sure about that... I don't see much incentive there for them to give you additional storage for free
    07-07-11 11:48 PM
    one question,os 7 is like os 6?Applications are installed on RAM?
    07-08-11 01:00 PM
    They aren't installed on the RAM. They are installed on the flash storage like the iPhone but RIM has partitioned it so that only a portion of it can be used for app storage. Think of it this way, the iPhone has 512mb of RAM but has far more for storage, the 8/16/32GB flash.

07-08-11 01:05 PM
    I'm not so sure about that... I don't see much incentive there for them to give you additional storage for free
    I wouldn't be suprised to see the carriers install at least a 4GB MicroSD card w/the Bold 9900/9930...but if they don't, a Sandisk MicroSD 8GB is around $17.00-$20.00. I'd prefer at least a total of 16GB in the device (if like I've posted on other threads, I might get a iphone 5 IF? it does indeed come to Sprint also in September, they for sure will have at least 16GB inside)
    07-08-11 03:02 PM
    They aren't installed on the RAM. They are installed on the flash storage like the iPhone but RIM has partitioned it so that only a portion of it can be used for app storage. Think of it this way, the iPhone has 512mb of RAM but has far more for storage, the 8/16/32GB flash.

If this is true, that is abig change for RIM right? Aside from the playbook no ther device does this right?

07-09-11 07:12 PM
    The 8gb onboard memory is purely for RIM's enterprise and government customers (but a bonus for consumers). BES will give you an option to disable the sd card slot, but I've also heard that the cameraless 9900s will also ship without an sd card slot. Security is bigger in the enterprise then it's ever been, and an sd card slot is considered one of the biggest holes possible.
    07-10-11 12:49 PM
    If this is true, that is abig change for RIM right? Aside from the playbook no ther device does this right?

I believe that they all do this (like the Playbook) but that the partioned space has always been equal to them RAM so people confused the two. RAM is meant to be super quick temporary storage (like for a tab in a browser) and it's contents are erased when it's turned off. If it was stored on the RAM, your apps would disappear once it's off.
    07-10-11 03:15 PM
    Apps are not stored on the onboard device memory, they are two distinct storage spaces. Blackberry devices carry both ram and flash storage for apps, in addition to emmc which is the onboard memory for pictures and videos and blablabla.
    07-10-11 10:34 PM
    Apps are not stored on the onboard device memory, they are two distinct storage spaces. Blackberry devices carry both ram and flash storage for apps, in addition to emmc which is the onboard memory for pictures and videos and blablabla.
    That is so incorrect it makes my head hurt... Apps are definitely stored on internal memory for security purposes. It's always been that way, and now that RIM is putting more flash on the phones it will never change.
    07-11-11 11:52 AM
    That is so incorrect it makes my head hurt... Apps are definitely stored on internal memory for security purposes. It's always been that way, and now that RIM is putting more flash on the phones it will never change.
    Which is exactly why you contradicted yourself about security, adding them to the onboard flash memory is not secure, and they would be easily accessible. Apps are not stored on the onboard flash memory, which is the one that acts as a mass storage drive when you connect it to a computer, otherwise they would be easily accessible and wouldn't make sense that it only has allocated 512MB which on top of that, you dont see the allocation being taken from the 4GB of emmc. Need an advil? Apps are stored in an internal storage not accessible via usb by conventional means, which is what the onboard flash memory is, just a "pendrive" or usb mass storage device. Not to mention that not every blackberry has onboard flash memory, like the 9700 or the 9780, so the point that the onboard flash memory is used for apps is null. They have their own internal flash for apps and then RAM.

If you ever look at the engineering you will also notice that the RAM is not 512MB, but more like 125MB total or so, and then you have the flash storage for apps. I dont know the reason of this discrepancy between RIM's advertisement and what the engineering screen displays. The sum of both ram and app flash storage makes around 522MB. Im talking about the torch here.

QNX runs different than the current java OS. QNX actually does use the onboard flash storage (mass storage device) for apps and has dedicated RAM, and you can explore the folder structure of where the apps are installed, even when its not shown when connected to a computer, for which the playbook does not act as a mass storage device, but more like a network drive.
    Last edited by gbsn; 07-11-11 at 01:18 PM.
    07-11-11 12:01 PM
    I'm talking with a friend of mine via bbm who is at work and is currently getting training on the 9900. I asked him about the 8gb storage and he says
    6.2gb of storage
    200mb for apps
    1.6gb remaining is the o/s
    mssca likes this.
    07-12-11 11:15 AM
    I'm talking with a friend of mine via bbm who is at work and is currently getting training on the 9900. I asked him about the 8gb storage and he says
    6.2gb of storage
    200mb for apps
    That doesn't sound right at all... I think your friend needs more training

07-12-11 11:22 AM
    6.2gb of storage
    200mb for apps
    If this is true then this phone is dead before it's even released. 200mb for apps is absurd .
    mssca and Dammerung2010 like this.
    07-12-11 03:29 PM
    6.2gb of storage
    200mb for apps
    I can also confirm this is right. The app memory is 200 mb AFAIK.
    07-12-11 04:07 PM
    If this is true then this phone is dead before it's even released. 200mb for apps is absurd .
    It's beyond absurd. It's so unbelievably ridiculous that there isn't even a word for it.
    07-12-11 04:40 PM
    I can also confirm this is right. The app memory is 200 mb AFAIK.
    It seems people are satisfied with this and personally RIM will never learn. 200 mb for apps is a complete joke.
    07-14-11 09:14 AM
    Well its absolutely fine for the apps that are available out there right now. I still have tons of app memory on my Torch.

And your friend does need better training or better explanation skills because I think it rather unlikely that RIM has LOWERED the amount of app memory on their new generation phone. All current (9780/9800) BB's have 512 of app memory (which includes the OS). the 200MB may be what's LEFT after whatever apps are loaded on. But there is no way it's 200MB total. 1.6GB for the OS? Have any of the OS7 leaks been over 250MB even?
    Last edited by barrist; 07-14-11 at 09:35 AM.
    07-14-11 09:31 AM
    The 9000 had 1gb internal memory (not app memory and not the sdcard). But you still can't install apps to the internal memory, so having a sdcard instead isn't much different

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    07-14-11 10:55 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD