I've gone thru many BB models over the last 10 yrs. As a self-employed non-profit consultant based in UK but travelling regularly to Asia, I needed excellent email and low data roaming costs. BB has been great, as the data compression means data roaming charges are very reasonable (typically US$6 for a week in India, Singapore etc) and I an leave my BB on all day. I always remember to switch off features like HTML-email, Google Sync, to minimise data while roaming.

I took my new BB 9900 to India for a week, and came home to find US$50 of roaming data charges....quite a shock for me. Looks like it had pulled down 11 MB over the 7 days, over the whole period. Are there apps running that I am not aware of? My only thought was that Location Service was on, and that pulls down lots of GPRS enhancement data as well as the (no data) GPS function.
    And, yes, the battery sucks. I now have to travel about town with a charger. Never done that before.
    Any suggestions welcome.
    10-17-11 06:42 AM
    I've just checked my latest Bill, and it looks as though you're correct. I used to average around 55Mb a month on my 9700 but this month I managed to go up to 119Mb, over double what I used to.

I havent changed my usage at all, and am on Wifi at home so the 9900 must be using more data somehow...
    10-17-11 07:26 AM
    Did you leave social feeds running?
    10-17-11 07:38 AM
    I dont have social feeds installed on my phone and other apps like facebook and ubersocial have the same refresh settings as I had on my 9700...so it must be something else thats eating up the data!
    10-17-11 07:40 AM
    Facebook, but that ran on my older BB with the same settings. LinkedIn is not available on os7, so I don't have that anymore. I was using BB Travel, which is new to me, and that might have pulled some data. I still think that Location Services is one culprit. I have switched that off and am monitoring data, which is now looking like it might be back back to old levels.
    10-17-11 11:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD