I have a 9900 (AT&T) running 7.0. Besides being on AT&T this is an employer admin'ed phone so I don't know when I'll be able to update to 7.1.

I thought this question would have come up before but i did a search and didn't see it (but there were a ton of posts to go through so I could have missed it).

I was trying to create Contact Alerts with multiple contacts so I could assign groups of contacts ringtones (Alerts for Contacts -> Add Contact Alert -> Give it a name -> Add Contacts -> select a ringtone).

I added one person and that person's ringtone changed to what I selected. So I added more contacts and created other Contact Alerts (no overlap though). Then the next time I got a call I noticed that the ringtone was the AT&T ringtone, a ringtone I didn't assign to anyone and it's not the default for the profile in use. Calls from phone numbers not in a Contact Alert do use the default ringtone for the profile.

To make a longish story short what I discovered was that if I had one contact in the Contact Alert that contact had the selected ringtone. If had I had more than one contact and checked them in Contacts (contact list), all the contacts in the Contact Alert had the AT&T ringtone. If I deleted all but one contact (and changed nothing else) that remaining contact switched back to the selected ringtone again. I tried rebooting just in case but that didn't make a difference. The problem is repeatable using different Contact Alerts and different contacts.

Anyone know what's going on?
    05-04-12 11:51 AM
    Might be a bug in your OS version. I just set up a group with a couple of contacts, then added that group to my Contact Alerts for my active sound profile, giving the group a different ring tone. When I check both members of the group in my regular Contacts, they both correctly show the ring tone I had just assigned to the contact group.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what your problem could be.
    treophonefun likes this.
    05-04-12 12:58 PM
    Thank you for the info! That is very useful to me. It tells me that what I'm trying should work and that the problem I'm having is probably a bug not a feature and that implies that there is a chance it will be fixed in a future update. I'm hoping my employer pushes me 7.1 and that will also fix it (uh, and not brick it ).
    05-05-12 12:31 AM
    Instead of setting up a group withe same ring tome, set the same ring tone to each individual contact. This would be a fix until you can update the OS.
    05-05-12 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD