Hi guys,

I read that post from Kevin on the main page and had to LOL about many furious comments, but I also realized how much trouble it caused...

So I personally consider to buy a 9900 soon and did some "research" and found this interesting site that has a close look into the Nokia EDoF-Camera. Same technology as the 9900.

Have a look:

EDoF versus Auto-focus: Understanding the compromises involved

Feature on "document photos":

Document capture on Nokia's new EDoF camera phones (e.g. E7)

(obviously its possible)

Basically, my 2 cents, RIM sacrificed the AF for the better video and a technology that needs different handling of the camera (especially in close-ups)

Greetings,

Takeo
    08-12-11 11:09 AM
    My only question is why is Rim the only company that had to make this "sacrifice"?

IPhone 4: 5MP AF with 720P recording

SGS2: 8MP AF with 1080P recording

I mean the list can go on. So I don't buy this sacrifice stuff. I just think thats a poor excuse Rim is giving or that we are making for Rim.
    08-12-11 11:24 AM
    My only question is why is Rim the only company that had to make this "sacrifice"?

IPhone 4: 5MP AF with 720P recording

SGS2: 8MP AF with 1080P recording

I mean the list can go on. So I don't buy this sacrifice stuff. I just think thats a poor excuse Rim is giving or that we are making for Rim.
    To be honest, I believe its about the supply-chain. Apple and others have bought all supplies already
    08-12-11 11:29 AM
    To be honest, I believe its about the supply-chain. Apple and others have bought all supplies already
    Companies that sell products are ALWAYS more then happy to sell more of those products...
    ...The reason EDOF is in the 99xx is simply because it's cheap junk tech.
    ...And with the "new demographic" of customer RIM is targeting AF isn't needed.

My guess is that RIM has realized it's lost so much of it's market in the business community...
    ...That it wasn't worth attempting to stop the blood loss in that area.
    ...Therefore it's now going after the young crowd where FB and twitter.
    ...Are more important then the ability to capture business related shots.
    08-12-11 12:13 PM
    Poor dead horse just got digged back up and now its getting beat again.

STOP BEATING THE POOR DEAD HORSE!!!
    bAAx likes this.
    08-12-11 12:57 PM
    The consumer driven market does not turn a blind eye to poor quality devices being sold at a premium price...
    ...Any more than society ignores a known pedophile sitting outside the playground of a grammar school.

This horse will continue to get beaten to death, resurrected and beaten again until RIM produces a solution that doesn't involve foolish theatrics such as packing around a magnifying glass IF you find yourself in need of document capture - OR the equally insulting suggestion of the purchase of a point and shoot with a belt clip.
    08-12-11 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD