I was wondering how the 9900's browser was compared to the browser on the top Android models. I know that the 9900 doesnt support flash so right away it's worse than Android but I am wondering how much worse. I have a 9780 now and am trying to decide whether to get the 9900 or go to Android. The web browser is prob the most important thing to me. Thanks so much.
    10-22-11 10:03 PM
    I went to the 9930 from a Droid 3... And I would say that the browsing speed is pretty much equal. It's no 4G LTE device, but the 9930 has a very snappy browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-22-11 10:09 PM
    Thanks a ton for responding. I am actually more concerned with how websites are rendered than how fast they load. How would you compare the two browsers in this regard?
    Also, you think flash support will come to these new Blackberries, anytime soon? Thanks a lot.
    10-22-11 10:12 PM
    Thanks a ton for responding. I am actually more concerned with how websites are rendered than how fast they load. How would you compare the two browsers in this regard?
    Also, you think flash support will come to these new Blackberries, anytime soon? Thanks a lot.
    It renders just fine... Not a lot of difference between the two. The BB's screen is smaller, but seems to be more clear. Probably the biggest difference is that the BB will do a checkerboard effect when scrolling on an image intensive page. My D3 doesn't do that. I would say that mobile sites are a little more Android friendly (double tapping the screen on the D3 causes the page to format perfectly to the screen in most cases, whereas the 9930... Not as often.

10-22-11 10:20 PM
    It renders just fine... Not a lot of difference between the two. The BB's screen is smaller, but seems to be more clear. Probably the biggest difference is that the BB will do a checkerboard effect when scrolling on an image intensive page. My D3 doesn't do that. I would say that mobile sites are a little more Android friendly (double tapping the screen on the D3 causes the page to format perfectly to the screen in most cases, whereas the 9930... Not as often.

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it.
    10-22-11 10:24 PM
    I have a Droid X2 as well, and I like the browsing on that better. The speed is about the same but the larger screen is a big help. If web browsing is your #1 function, then a larger screen phone would probably work best for you.

But like industrial revolution said, the screen is so clear compared to my X2.
    Last edited by NickA44; 10-22-11 at 10:49 PM.
    10-22-11 10:47 PM
    I have a Droid X2 as well, and I like the browsing on that better. The speed is about the same but the larger screen is a big help. If web browsing is your #1 function, then a larger screen phone would probably work best for you.

But like industrial revolution said, the screen is so clear compared to my X2.
    Thanks for the responding. I am so torn about whether to stay with Blackberry or go over to Android.
    10-22-11 10:54 PM
    Go to the store and spend a lot of time with both before making a decision. And take advantage if the return policy. Also, check out the forums at AndroidCentral.com too and get some feedback from the forum members there.
    10-22-11 10:57 PM
    Go to the store and spend a lot of time with both before making a decision. And take advantage if the return policy. Also, check out the forums at AndroidCentral.com too and get some feedback from the forum members there.
    Well, I am going to be purchasing the phone online. It's a really tough decision. I know of a site that supposedly has HTML5 videos. Would one of you guys who has a 9900 or 9930 be willing to go there and test it out for me? Thanks a ton.
    10-22-11 11:23 PM
    If you update your OS to .440 the browser speed will be improved on Bold 9900 for sure.
    10-22-11 11:51 PM
    I am into working out and this site I go to has videos that use HTML 5. I was wondering if one of you guys could go to RXMUSCLE.COM and see if the video on their homepage works as well as the other videos they have on their site. Thanks so much.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    10-23-11 12:18 AM
    Even if you are going to purchase your phone on line you can still avail yourself of a carrier store to check the phone out.

I would never purchase something without first holding it in my hand. Especially a phone.
    10-23-11 06:52 AM
    I am into working out and this site I go to has videos that use HTML 5. I was wondering if one of you guys could go to RXMUSCLE.COM and see if the video on their homepage works as well as the other videos they have on their site. Thanks so much.
    I wasn't able to get any of the videos to play on my 9930. When I would select one, all I got was a blank grey square. I love my 9930, but when it comes to browser capabilities, the Androids I've used, blows BB out of the water.
    10-23-11 07:15 AM
    Sorry but in no way my 9900 browser comes close to my Galaxy S2 browser. Obviously screen for one, full flash, page rendering is better, wifi range and speed on both H+ and Wifi is better. My Galaxy S2 is even better and faster then my Playbook.
    10-23-11 07:26 AM
    browser hasnt been a problem for me..snappy and fast, renders fine. videos seem grainy though and if you live on browser you will want abigger screen for sure.

no brainer for u by your needs, 9900 wont work well compared to bigger screen...
    10-23-11 07:40 AM
    browser hasnt been a problem for me..snappy and fast, renders fine. videos seem grainy though and if you live on browser you will want abigger screen for sure.

no brainer for u by your needs, 9900 wont work well compared to bigger screen...
    10-23-11 07:40 AM
    I wasn't able to get any of the videos to play on my 9930. When I would select one, all I got was a blank grey square. I love my 9930, but when it comes to browser capabilities, the Androids I've used, blows BB out of the water.
    Wow, thanks a ton for checking it out for me, I really appreciate it. It does make my decision easier. I am still kind of torn. In an ideal situation, I would go down to the store and experiment with the phones but I am not 100 percent sure I will be able to do that.
    10-23-11 07:47 AM
    As big of a proponent of the 9930 as I am, I agree...a bigger screen may suit you better if you are a browser first user. The bold has quite a snappy browser and the best of any previous bb, but if I was buying primarily for the web, I'd look elsewhere first...

One thing I haven't experienced on it yet is checker boarding as someone mentioned earlier. It renders pages very well.

10-23-11 07:49 AM
    I love my BBerries...let me say that first.

Having said that....the web on my Atrix is superior to the 9930 and the 9810. I'm not blind to that. However, the browser on OS 7 is far superior to OS6, and the display is much better on the 9930, although smaller, than on the 9810.

The display on the iPhone and the Atrix are, however, superior to the BB.

Yet, for my use, I prefer the BB over anything else I've tried and currently have.
    10-23-11 08:55 AM
    Yup. A bigger screen is way better for browsing. BUT, I can actually put my BB in my jeans without a problem. My previous Droid Bionic was kinda HUGE. lol
    The BBs browser is suitable, it gets the job done.....
    10-23-11 10:43 AM
    The trackpad and keyboard shortcuts are very important for the usability of the browser.

Last edited by Masahiro; 10-23-11 at 12:35 PM.
    10-23-11 12:33 PM
    Pages render worse on the BB broser. Sometimes double tap to zoom will not render the page to fit the screen properly. Also pinch to zoom does not re size the page to fit the screen like it does in the Android browser. Also you have a much smaller screen on BB than Droid. So if browsing is your #1 priority I would go for a droid.
    10-23-11 02:41 PM
    The browser on the 9900 is very usable, but I would not recommend it if web browsing on all types of websites is your #1 need. (The iphone falls short in that area too). What is better about the 9900? The fact that the trackpad acts as a mouse/cursor so you don't have to pinch and zoom on navigation links to make them large enough for your fat fingers to tap on accurately. I also find the physical keyboard much easier to type urls and especially passwords with accuracy. These were 2 things that drove me up the wall using a touch screen only android device. The 9900 will render most pages, even ones with heavy use of java script, quite accurately, but flash is a non-starter. Fortunately, many sites are starting to use HTML5 or providing links to mobile compatible video. I guess we can thank Apple for that trend.

If your top priorities were voice, email, text followed by social media, and music player ... then web and your camera is an afterthought, it would be an idea device, which it is for me. I typically use the browser to look up a part #, find a phone number, look up an address or kill some time reading news articles linked to a tweet. Sharing a youtube video or watching a movie trailer linked to flixster is another common use, and the loud a clear speaker on the 9900 is a big plus for that situation. You probably won't have OS7 apps for your online banking, ebay and paypal right away, but the mobile sites work perfectly on the BB browser.

It is an awesome looking, premium device but it is first and foremost a Blackberry lovers Blackberry, and IMHO, when the device comes with BBX/QNX, it should be in this form factor --- a compact, pocket-sized candy bar form factor, communication focused device with a keyboard. I can touch type with a berry with ease and that is what I like best about it. I think there will always be a market for that, albeit a niche market compared to what RIM enjoyed 5 years ago.

I tried a MyTouch 4G and sent it back after a week. You can always try the 9900/9930 for a few weeks and see if it works for you. 5 or 6 new droid phones will likely come out in those 2 weeks, so no worries, right?
    10-23-11 07:48 PM
    The browser on the 9900 is very usable, but I would not recommend it if web browsing on all types of websites is your #1 need. (The iphone falls short in that area too). What is better about the 9900? The fact that the trackpad acts as a mouse/cursor so you don't have to pinch and zoom on navigation links to make them large enough for your fat fingers to tap on accurately. I also find the physical keyboard much easier to type urls and especially passwords with accuracy. These were 2 things that drove me up the wall using a touch screen only android device. The 9900 will render most pages, even ones with heavy use of java script, quite accurately, but flash is a non-starter. Fortunately, many sites are starting to use HTML5 or providing links to mobile compatible video. I guess we can thank Apple for that trend.

If your top priorities were voice, email, text followed by social media, and music player ... then web and your camera is an afterthought, it would be an idea device, which it is for me. I typically use the browser to look up a part #, find a phone number, look up an address or kill some time reading news articles linked to a tweet. Sharing a youtube video or watching a movie trailer linked to flixster is another common use, and the loud a clear speaker on the 9900 is a big plus for that situation. You probably won't have OS7 apps for your online banking, ebay and paypal right away, but the mobile sites work perfectly on the BB browser.

It is an awesome looking, premium device but it is first and foremost a Blackberry lovers Blackberry, and IMHO, when the device comes with BBX/QNX, it should be in this form factor --- a compact, pocket-sized candy bar form factor, communication focused device with a keyboard. I can touch type with a berry with ease and that is what I like best about it. I think there will always be a market for that, albeit a niche market compared to what RIM enjoyed 5 years ago.

I tried a MyTouch 4G and sent it back after a week. You can always try the 9900/9930 for a few weeks and see if it works for you. 5 or 6 new droid phones will likely come out in those 2 weeks, so no worries, right?

You guys are very helpful, I totally appreciate it. There is something thats making me want the Blackberry although I am not sure what that is. I am not sure why RIM can't make a phone that can compete with Android in every way. That would make it a no brainer.

10-23-11 08:13 PM
    If web browsing is your most important thing then you should not be looking at the 9900 as the BB to compare against a droid, but the Torch lineup, all of which have larger screens, you just have decide if you like sliders or an all touch phone.

The BB browser does play html 5 videos, I use the youtube site all the time and they have migrated to html5. Unfortunately your muscle site seems to use flash or something else to embed the videos, so I guess if that one site is critical for you BB's are not going to work out.

But I agree the rendering engine on the BB is as good as anything out their, and having the trackpad really is a plus, as clicking links on a non-mobile web page really can be a pain without a " mouse".

CS
    10-23-11 08:39 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD