This was my experience. My first 9930 nuked twice while on a near full battery, once using Google Maps and once in the middle of browsing.
    This second refurbished 9930 has even shut itself once when I forgot to charge it and it's doing great. I've had it since November, the first one I had for just over thirty days.
    01-18-12 05:23 AM
    What does the screen look like when it bricks?
    Blank!
    A bricked phone is one that is completely dead (ie as useful as a brick). If it's bricked there will be zero life in it...
    01-18-12 09:33 AM
    I charge overnight every night and so far so good. I wanted to ask though, do you turn the phone off overnight or leave it on?
    andreicretu likes this.
    01-18-12 09:39 AM
    I never turn mine off and charge it overnight almost every night. The battery is so good, some days I don't need to.
    01-18-12 09:48 AM
    I had the bricking incident happen to me on an overnight charge while on vacation in Europe last week. Was not happy to say the least as phone was about 4.5 months old. Called Rogers technical support, which after about 15mins of testing, couldn't get it to reload the OS and therefore sent me to the nearest store to get a replacement 9900 right away. So in the end I have a new 9900 again...not sure if that's a good thing or not.
    01-18-12 10:02 AM
    EDIT: One question though... has the overnight bricking issue been mainly 9900s? Is it rarer with 9930s, or just coincidence that most of the overnight bricking threads have been related to 9900s if I'm not mistaken?
    My 9860 bricked this week during a backup and software update (not to 7.1).
    01-18-12 02:09 PM
    My 9900 bricked yesterday about 5 minutes after a phone call while it was in my holster! SOOO MAD! And to make matters worse the store game me a freaking pearl as a temp phone, a PEARL!!!! ARRRRGGGGGGG I don't get it, this is a known issue, just swap on the spot...
    01-18-12 02:18 PM
    Hey all...

I've had my BlackBerry just a tad over 4 months now and I charge it overnight frequently. I also have it set to turn off in the middle of the night while charging.

The charger that I use is the one that came with my PlayBook <it charges it faster>.

I guess I've also been Blessed with being one of the fortunate ones
    01-18-12 02:19 PM
    I just loaded leaked OS 7.1.0.205 on my gf's 9900, i will leave it to charge till i come from work tomorrow (18ihs hrs) then drain the battery till it dies and then try the whole process again for the next day to see if it bricks with new OS.

Will keep you guys posted.
    01-18-12 09:53 PM
    Hi guys, new here from Waterloo

I owned 9900 for about 4 month and everything worked fine I never charged it over night but I just gave it to my gf few days ago and she charged the phone for the second time since getting it and she charged it over night. This morning phone was bricked.
    Did this happen to anyone else? Does overnight charge burry 9900s or is it just a random event?

os7 devices did not get adequate testing and they have been rushed to the market so they can ship out before 2011. get your 9900 replaced or switch to iphone or nexus.
    01-19-12 09:21 AM
    os7 devices did not get adequate testing and they have been rushed to the market so they can ship out before 2011. get your 9900 replaced or switch to iphone or nexus.
    And where is your proof of that? I still think it is a bad piece of hardware kind of like the swelling capacitors that plagued some pc's awhile back otherwise wouldn't every phone be bricking?
    01-19-12 09:33 AM
    My TMO 9900 bricked in the middle of the day; just locked up and after battery pull never cycled through boot-up. I'd had it only about 4 weeks.

Fortunately, I returned it to TMO and they gave me a new one. So far, no problems with 2nd 9900. I love this phone and hope RIM fixes this issue.

I understand OS battery pulls and can even stomach the occasional OS re-install, but bricking kind of stinks. I've tried Android...not bad, but not the BB experience I enjoy.

Not that I think it matters, but I don't charge over-night and I only have essential apps loaded, so as to not bog down the OS/memory/CPU (whatever is causing 99xx to brick). This should not be the case for a $500 (retial...$600 at TMO) phone.

This is not a slam RIM post. I love my 9900. It's a plea to RIM from someone who really likes their products: Fix this, or, at least, acknowledge it and offer some assistance to your ever decreasing, yet loyal (for reasons that boggle the minds of many Android and iPhone users) customer base.
    01-19-12 09:51 AM
    I am on OS 7.1 now but I used the stock Telus OS 7.0 before. I always charge overnight and I never had issues with this phone. I have a feeling that this bricking may be caused by a combination of BOTH hardware and software issue. That's why it is so hard for us to point out the root of the problem.
    01-19-12 09:58 AM
    I just loaded leaked OS 7.1.0.205 on my gf's 9900, i will leave it to charge till i come from work tomorrow (18ihs hrs) then drain the battery till it dies and then try the whole process again for the next day to see if it bricks with new OS.

Will keep you guys posted.
    Thank you. Could you also please post her PRD number and Made in Country? This will help us find which plant the phone came from and PRD number is a general lot number so you don't have to worry about posting it here.
    01-19-12 10:01 AM
    And where is your proof of that? I still think it is a bad piece of hardware kind of like the swelling capacitors that plagued some pc's awhile back otherwise wouldn't every phone be bricking?
    Agree with this. If it was bad software - every device with it would brick. If it was hardware - QA/QC might have been asleep at the wheel when that batch went through.
    01-19-12 10:04 AM
    Except that devices have bricked w no apps loaded. Like CrackBerry Kevin's. He's suspiciously quiet about his 9900 now though after ut bricked twice on him. I'm assuming he doesn't use it anymore.
    01-21-12 06:02 AM
    Except that devices have bricked w no apps loaded. Like CrackBerry Kevin's. He's suspiciously quiet about his 9900 now though after ut bricked twice on him. I'm assuming he doesn't use it anymore.
    He is probably using his 9790.
    01-21-12 10:40 AM
    He was pretty mad about the 9900 brickings. I haven't heard any other podcasts mentioned the issue.
    01-21-12 10:45 AM
    I think he is using the newly released white 9900. He did an unboxing video a few weeks back, so I'm assuming he's that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-12 08:44 AM
    I don't think it's hardware related because some people where successful in reviving their 'bricked' device.
    01-22-12 10:04 AM
    YES!!! MINE JUST DID THAT LAST WEEK. I plugged it up from being out all day and then went to sleep. Woke up the next morning and black screen and nothing!
    01-22-12 02:44 PM
    From what I saw in the White BlackBerry 9900 unboxing video, it sounds like he is regularly using different models (and different brands) of mobiles. He even said he uses the iPhone ocassionally. Actually, I think all phone reviewers should use all types of phones, so kudos to Kevin for actually trying other models (unlike some reviers out there) and keeping an open mind.

9930 OS 7.1. On VZW
    No bricks yet
    01-22-12 04:21 PM
    I also have a bricked Bold 9900. Tried everything but the phone is completely dead. All data is gone. E-mails, photos, important company info. I bought it with a T-Mobile subscription and had to pay an additional €310. Here in Europe you have many BB users with the same issue.

I have to wait 6 - 8 weeks for a repair or replacement. What I don't understand, I've looked all over BlackBerry.com and can't find any section to submit a formal complaint to RIM. I'm really pissed off at the fact that even if they have the biggest marketshare here in The Netherlands, they will make it almost impossible for a customer to make a complaint by phone or e-mail. This is definitely not the way you treat your customers.

Why don't they just admit there is a major issue and get it replaced?
    Last edited by WilliamTheNetherlands; 01-23-12 at 02:26 PM.
    01-23-12 02:22 PM
    I also have a bricked Bold 9900. Tried everything but the phone is completely dead. All data is gone. E-mails, photos, important company info. I bought it with a T-Mobile subscription and had to pay an additional �310. Here in Europe you have many BB users with the same issue.

I have to wait 6 - 8 weeks for a repair or replacement. What I don't understand, I've looked all over BlackBerry.com and can't find any section to submit a formal complaint to RIM. I'm really pissed off at the fact that even if they have the biggest marketshare here in The Netherlands, they will make it almost impossible for a customer to make a complaint by phone or e-mail. This is definitely not the way you treat your customers.

Why don't they just admit there is a major issue and get it replaced?
    RIM is doing a lot of things wrong like this one. Instead of talking more about the bricking issue they try to hide what is the issue.

After 2 bricked bold 9900 I have decided that the best is to avoid charging the phone in the night. This is what causes the bricking issue.

In Mexico I can go and have a new bold 9900 in only one day but it takes time and it is not funny to loose all your information, tell your bbm contacts that you have a new pin, and wait some hours to go and leave the bricked phone and the other day go again for a new phone.
    01-23-12 03:21 PM
    In Mexico I can go and have a new bold 9900 in only one day but it takes time and it is not funny to loose all your information, tell your bbm contacts that you have a new pin, and wait some hours to go and leave the bricked phone and the other day go again for a new phone.
    Are you using a BlackberryID on your phones? Your PIN should update with your contacts automatically when you get the new phone and login with your BlackBerryID. It is not instantaneous and may take a while to get your new PIN to your contacts. I have done it a couple times, just switching between phones and it has worked. I don't have a lot of BBM contacts, so it may be different for somebody with many BBM contacts.
    01-23-12 03:27 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD