Everyone having problems seems to have used the 'device switch' feature... that was my issue and when I wiped and put everything on manually my battery life became much much better!
    Yep, a lot of people with various random issues used device switch or a full backup/restore...
    09-20-11 06:10 PM
    I used bb protect to put the files it backed up on my 9700 on my 9900. I'm getting horrible battery life. I fell like I know how some Android users feel now. I'm running 7.0.0.261 on Optus Australia. I might try putting one of the higher os on here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-11 06:32 PM
    well the OS7 forum starts looking like android forum after all. talk about using 2G only, deleting social apps and so on. god knows what else..deleting service books, turn off APN, juice defender..? hehe
    hopefully 353 will come soon and fix the battery. mine go up to 10 hours but i'd like to have some spare/additional 10-20% just to get of the range anxiety
    09-20-11 06:38 PM
    Hmmmm, I wonder if that's the reason for my bad battery life. I have updated OS' since though.
    Updating OS isn't the same as wiping. If the device switch brought in some sort of corrupted option, that would likely persist during an OS upgrade. Wipe and start fresh is the only way to be certain of a clean build.

Only things I restored were my options...... BBM wireless restored and calendar and contacts re-synced with BIS.
    I only used device switch to bring in my options as well (not apps)... I think that's where the trouble is. Something in OS6 options is coming forward and causing problems in OS7.
    09-20-11 06:40 PM
    .. lots of people seem to be defending the 99XX series and blame it on the way people set it up or use it or whatever else.. seriously.. lol..

For those who talks about device switch and a full wipe, that's just plain non-sense.. I tried both methods and got the same average amount of battery life.. Upgrading the OS to .362 perhaps had slightly improved my battery life by 2-3 hours compared to while using the previous versions..

I tried 3 different batteries and own 2 batteries that came from different cell production and processing places.. Japan-Mexico and Korea-China.. Both technically gave the same average amount of juice and lasted for about the same amount of time for my category of use which is quite heavy..

My conclusion against the 99XX series is that the phones do consume a lot of juice to support its tech-specs and features hence anyone switching to this phone from a different device or previous blackberry models would find that it has a disappointing battery life.

I like my blackberry a lot and wouldn't trade it for anything else but I'm no fan-boy.. So either stick with it or dump it.. It's just my 2 cents tho'...

9930 - 7.0.0.XXX
    blackberryusr likes this.
    09-20-11 06:54 PM
    Its strange. I was a big defender of the smaller battery pre launch. There was supposed to be some huge steps in power consumption management. Now at post launch and owning the device I can't say I'm too happy. And while spell checking this post before I posted it the spell checker once again decided to malfunction and now show the choices of what the word should be spelt like. I'll definitely be trying to get a different OS on here tonight.

09-20-11 07:03 PM
    .. lots of people seem to be defending the 99XX series and blame it on the way people set it up or use it or whatever else.. seriously.. lol..

For those who talks about device switch and a full wipe, that's just plain non-sense..
    Unless you're calling me a liar, you should be prepared to admit that others have had different experiences than you. Don't be so quick to dismiss something that could possibly help others just because it may not have helped you.

My experience (with same usage in both situations):
    Using device switch = 20% avg discharge rate over 3 days (per meterberry)
    Using fresh wipe only = 4% avg discharge rate over 3 days (per meterberry)
    09-20-11 07:11 PM
    Unless you're calling me a liar, you should be prepared to admit that others have had different experiences than you. Don't be so quick to dismiss something that could possibly help others just because it may not have helped you.

You, and the others, are talking about a security wipe right? Then re setting the phone up? I have yet to "wipe" any of the BlackBerry phones( 3 now)

09-20-11 07:22 PM
    You, and the others, are talking about a security wipe right? Then re setting the phone up? I have yet to "wipe" any of the BlackBerry phones( 3 now)
    Yup! Full wipe of the apps, data, options... everything, to restore to factory state... then manually set up everything (except contacts and calendar entries which I restored through BB Protect)
    09-20-11 07:26 PM

.. look mate.. did you see anywhere in the post saying that anybody is a liar? .. lol..

edit:

additional info:

.. my average hourly discharge rate varies from 3% - 3.6% said meterberry and I'm currently using the korea - china battery.. pretty much the same average as the percentage I would score on japan-mexico battery.. I tried both methods, switch and wipe, still getting the same average discharge rate...

.. I'm using facebook, ubersocial, tapatalk, fancycharacter, meterberry, running icon, leave it on, berrypopup, crunchsms, blink and other apps which sum up to 17 apps.. I'm sure they all eat juice..

.. one more thing, the most stable signal in my area is 2G not 3G or above it hence if I lock the signal reception to 2G my battery would last a lot longer.. just my experience with the device and not calling anyone a liar.. lol..

9930 - 7.0.0.XXX
    Last edited by tda_tda; 09-21-11 at 01:38 AM.
    09-20-11 09:42 PM
    .. my average hourly discharge rate varies from 3% - 3.6% said meterberry...
    With your discharge rate of 3%-3.6%, you're not even experiencing the rapid battery drain others have... so of course doing any of the actions won't fix a problem you don't have!
    09-21-11 05:16 AM
    Its strange. I was a big defender of the smaller battery pre launch. There was supposed to be some huge steps in power consumption management. Now at post launch and owning the device I can't say I'm too happy. And while spell checking this post before I posted it the spell checker once again decided to malfunction and now show the choices of what the word should be spelt like. I'll definitely be trying to get a different OS on here tonight.

During pre launch and when something goes wrong, its a good excuse for the sales people to say that the phone is still in development and things will improve when its released.

Although there are truth to it, but dont expect much changes. Say the phone is slow, dont expect it to be fast during launch. All those small optimization might only bring 5% overall improvement at most.

So sometimes, I hate it when people say that these devices are under testing and things will improve when its launch.

- Charles
    09-21-11 06:15 AM
    my 9900 easily last 2 full days

always on 2G network, will switch to 3G when i need to browse. (i found out that emails comes in jus as quick for me even on 2G)

Firmware - .261
    backlight - 10
    backlight duration - 20sec
    Location services - On
    Facebook feeds - Never(however i still on my FB notifications on)
    Auto on/off - Off @ 2am, On @ 7am

hope this helps!
    09-21-11 06:22 AM
    I don't like it when you have to turn down or off just about every feature of a device just to get normal usage out of it. It's getting ridiculous....as someone else said "this battery lasts forever ... I wish I could turn the phone on though"
    09-21-11 06:33 AM
    With your discharge rate of 3%-3.6%, you're not even experiencing the rapid battery drain others have... so of course doing any of the actions won't fix a problem you don't have!

.. Back to the wipe and switch device.. I mean, really, does it affect battery consumption? .. i think it is more to how heavy do we use our device, the number of applications we use, how we set our applications to behave e.g. how frequent is the app refreshing itself, how long do we keep pop ups and how long do we want leds to keep on blinking.. even some even say signal reception setting should be set to hook on the best available stable signal in the area or otherwise it will exhaust the battery..

.. my apologies if I have offended you in anyway.. anyways, don't take it personally.. I'm just a regular user who happened to setup my blackberry to the minimum battery consumption in the way I know how and got 3% - 3.6% discharge and still not satisfied but can live with it..

9930 - 7.0.0.XXX - on Tapatalk
    09-21-11 06:39 AM
    .. Back to the wipe and switch device.. I mean, really, does it affect battery consumption? .. i think it is more to how heavy do we use our device, the number of applications we use, how we set our applications to behave e.g....
    Obviously, under normal situations where your phone is working normally, those are indeed the activities that drive battery life results.

But... when device switch brings some corrupted settings or junk into your new phone and causes abnormal issues (i.e. non-stop 100% CPU utilization for Social Feeds), that will cause much higher battery drain like some people (myself included) were experiencing (i.e. the difference between 4%/hr and 20%/hr).

You're limiting your thoughts to normal situations and no corruption imported from an old device (luckily because you haven't had this issue!). Some will use device switch successfully because they didn't have the one unknown corruption, error, or junk that's causing the OS7 CPU issue.

As it turns out, my coworker today had the exact same issue. I just got a BBM from him and the wipe and manual setup from scratch also worked. (he was 30%/hr and is now 3.5%/hr three hours after wiping and getting everything set up again).

BTW -- after living with 20% drain for a few days, 3% is a dream and seems perfect
    09-21-11 07:04 PM
    Hey everyone!
    Just got my phone a few hours ago. I actually bought 2 one for myself and 1 for my bro.
    We have the Hungarian versions that were brought into Russia - which is where we reside. I paid 1k usd for each phone and am in rage about it right now.
    I have been a hardcore fan of the blackberry and have been using them for close to 7 years.
    The worst phones have been: 1. Storm - huge piece of garbage - terrible touch screen 2. The tour for verizon in USA - the worst phone ever with the worst battery life. 3. The 9800 torch - bad track pad. And now I got the phone that I was waiting for, the 9900! This phone is beyond pissing me off with its battery life. I am so dissapointed. I charged the phone fully at 8pm and by 1am I am low on battery. This will be my last blackberry and I hope RIM becomes a penny stock company. I'm getting the stupid iphone 5 when it comes out and will be like everyone else.
    I'm gunna buy a car battery and carry it around in my backpack to which I will attach a charger to plug in this piece of junk rip off phone. I wanna throw this phone into the CEOs face and fracture his scull.
    Last edited by imgleb; 09-22-11 at 04:12 PM.
    09-22-11 04:08 PM
    HOW I FIXED MY BATTERY LIFE!

I did NOTHING, I just used it normally and charged it. One day i drained it a lot (i used bridge and watched youtube... drawn like 150 mb over and hr and a half) my battery was down to 10~20% when i got home. Next day my battery went from 10 hr-12 hr regular battery life to ~24 hrs.

I did the device switch thing as well so i do NOT believe that is the issue.

I DO believe though that just like a car, the battery (or gas-efficency) gets better after you cycle the battery through a few times.

Give it a week, it SHOULD get better, when I was having issues it seemed like this was the answer i found as well.

This info is ALL in the MANY battery threads. Please use search function (its actually already flagged.. so u dont even need to use search function).

No more battery threads! thx!
    09-22-11 05:16 PM
    Obviously, under normal situations where your phone is working normally, those are indeed the activities that drive battery life results.

But... when device switch brings some corrupted settings or junk into your new phone and causes abnormal issues (i.e. non-stop 100% CPU utilization for Social Feeds), that will cause much higher battery drain like some people (myself included) were experiencing (i.e. the difference between 4%/hr and 20%/hr).

You're limiting your thoughts to normal situations and no corruption imported from an old device (luckily because you haven't had this issue!). Some will use device switch successfully because they didn't have the one unknown corruption, error, or junk that's causing the OS7 CPU issue.

As it turns out, my coworker today had the exact same issue. I just got a BBM from him and the wipe and manual setup from scratch also worked. (he was 30%/hr and is now 3.5%/hr three hours after wiping and getting everything set up again).

BTW -- after living with 20% drain for a few days, 3% is a dream and seems perfect

... not using the blackberry (as in idle mode) will get anyone less drain and a better battery life..

09-22-11 07:12 PM
    ... not using the blackberry (as in idle mode) will get anyone less drain and a better battery life..

So I might as well turn it off or get a different phone

I am using my company issued 9930. my "normal" use would be email and phone call. I had it charged to 100% this morning. With 4 less than 30 seconds phone calls, 4 short text messages, and 6 hours later I am down to 15%!!!!
    09-27-11 01:37 PM
    So I might as well turn it off or get a different phone

I am using my company issued 9930. my "normal" use would be email and phone call. I had it charged to 100% this morning. With 4 less than 30 seconds phone calls, 4 short text messages, and 6 hours later I am down to 15%!!!!
    That doesn't sound right, do you have any company aplications on it that might be running in the background? They could be tracking your arse lol

I can stream music using bluetooth to my car stereo for longer then that.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 09-27-11 at 01:43 PM.
    09-27-11 01:41 PM
    I have had my BB 9900 for a week now and was very surprised how quick the battery empties. I am a very light user but do have Twitter and Foursquare. Both are set not to update automatically. Have follwed all the advice about helping reduce battery drain. The result of all this I can only last two days before recharge.

I traded my iPhone 4 in for the BB which I do not regret doing but will say the iPhone 4 had better battery life.
    09-27-11 02:06 PM
    As a reasonably experienced bb user, I can't quite work this out.
    I would say I was a light user, and currently my 9900 struggles to get a full day.
    This is with wifi off, and minimum brightness settings. On previous Torch with no special actions I would always have good charge left at end of day. This in no way stacks up with crackberry findings.
    Going to try some base tests to get to the reasons behind this

09-27-11 03:15 PM
    I always use that kind of way for years after i passed 9700 series..
    But after moving 9900, i've disappointed..

I don't use feeds,
    Always EDGE for years (because i know 3G makes my device faster but drains my battery)
    My screen light is 10.
    Only activate it as i browse some big web sites or as i feel unpatient myself.
    Or activate it when i listen Pandora, tune in etc.
    Have BES account approx.150 mails every casual day.
    Have also BiS connected 7 accounts 50-100 mails approx.
    Facebook,twitter keeps connected.
    Bbm,Ubersocial,foursq,whatsapp,google+,linkedin when needed(i don't let them keep working on background)
    GPS disabled.
    Listen my playlist on bus,subway etc. sometimes if i transfer with them or listening when i walk somewhere like 30 min.

With this usage i was capable of using my 9780 till 8pm.

After moving 9900 and using same habits, it drained 3 pm in the middle of day.
    I was disappointed and began look forward to releasing 9790 which is 1500 mAh battery ( i hope so )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fatih.kurnaz; 09-27-11 at 04:52 PM.
    09-27-11 04:26 PM
    1.Disable Your GPS...Even if you dont use it at all!!!!....2. Put your Mobile network to 2G instead of 3G.. and switch it to 3G whenEver you need to browse heavy Webpages or videos or Online Radio... Thats it... You will have 2 full days of battery!... Let me know If you still have trouble with your battery after doing the modifications I mentioned above.
    09-27-11 04:37 PM
89 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD