I'm thinking about replacing my iPhone 4 with a Bold 9900. However, my only concern is the battery life. I've heard that some people are running out of juice in less than a day. Anyone have experience with both the 9900 and the iP4 and could shed some light on how the two compare? I'm getting about a day and a half on my iP4 with two push accounts and normal usage. Thanks.
    11-09-11 05:08 PM
    I cant understand people that say I get 'a day and a half' from my battery.

Does that mean you dont charge it over night on the first day but then once its discharged (after the day and a half) you put it on charge for a couple of hours?

Surely charging your phone half way through the day isnt as ideal as overnight while your sleeping?

Sorry, been pedantic there....

Anyhoo, I did have the iToy4 for 6 months and find the battery to be about the same, BB maybe better.

Its 11pm now and just looked at my 9900 which is at 40% and my wifes iToy4 (ios5) thats on 75%.

Ive used mine for work all day though, 6 or 7 calls, 2 of which were 10 mins long, connected to BT car kit for 5 hours, wifi and 3g on. 10 emails, 5 facebook notifications 5 SMS's (ish). Came off charge at 6am this morning.

Wifes phone came off charge at 2:15 this afternoon and shes been at work since 430 till 9pm and her phone was on silent in a locker. Shes only used it for facebooking/browsing for 30 mins while on the bus home.

So, id say the BB def compares, maybe better.

Steve
    11-09-11 05:20 PM
    Keep your iphone until blackberry releases a fix for the red led light.

I have return from my carrier with a new blackberry bold 9900 because the first one was bricked and even I have try to do anything I could not fix it.

I like more my iphone but blackberry is great for the blackberry messenger
    Jake_fowler12 likes this.
    11-09-11 05:38 PM
    The battery life on my Bberry 9700 was definitely better than that of my iphone 4. However the battery life on my bold 9900 (when it worked) was worse than my iphone 4. Keeping in mind I dont play games on my iphone 4.
    11-09-11 06:09 PM
    As a sidebar, Apple has been aware of its battery problems and almost immediately addressed it.

The 9900's been out for a couple months and RIMM still seems like its in the dark.
    tkwolf likes this.
    11-09-11 06:26 PM
    I have both. And previously a 9700. The 9700's battery was much better than the iPhone 4's. Now I almost think they're similar. I bump charge my 9900 in the evening (top it up), and it is set to shut down from 11-7. I charge the iPhone overnight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 06:53 PM
    As a sidebar, Apple has been aware of its battery problems and almost immediately addressed it.

The 9900's been out for a couple months and RIMM still seems like its in the dark.
    The iPhone 4 still doesn't have great battery life and it's been out since June. A beefy processor uses a good amount of power and the 9900's 1.2GHz (more than the iPhone 4's 1GHz) processor is no exception. I would rather my phone last 1 day and run quickly than 1.5 and run less quickly. The half day means nothing as I charge at night.

On topic:

My bold ends its day at about 40% when taken off the charger at 9am with moderate usage all day. I have noticed that talking on 4G takes its toll on the battery, but I have not run out by the end of the day yet. And that's with me playing with the Augmented Reality, installing and uninstalling apps, checking crackberry.com frequently, wifi, bluetooth, receiving and sending 50+ emails and hundreds of SMS or BBMs. I will note that I am using the updated OS (.474 i think)
    Last edited by Zwickliffe; 11-09-11 at 10:39 PM.
    Vijik and serverherder like this.
    11-09-11 10:37 PM
    I get more than twice the battery life on my 9900 than my friends with IPhones get.

Vijik likes this.
    11-10-11 02:10 AM
    The iPhone 4 still doesn't have great battery life and it's been out since June. A beefy processor uses a good amount of power and the 9900's 1.2GHz (more than the iPhone 4's 1GHz) processor is no exception. I would rather my phone last 1 day and run quickly than 1.5 and run less quickly. The half day means nothing as I charge at night.
    The iPhone 4 runs at 800 Mhz, uses a bigger battery and doesn't do real multitasking. So it should have a better battery life.
    Vijik likes this.
    11-10-11 04:13 AM
    It all depends on what your doing during the course of a day. Ive had iPhones, all of them, and always was running on fumes by the time i went to bed but always made it through a day. With the 9900, I'm not playing games on it, I'm not running music or a third party app that is streaming for long periods of time, if i am its plugged in like in my car. I text, email, Facebook, twitter, and read crackberry often through out a day and rarely dip below 25% on any given night. I am happy with my battery use. I expect to charge my phone every night, i use my phone heavily and am on it all day, so i expect the battery will run low every day.

My conclusion, for me, same. Either is better. All depends on what your doing though like any phone.
    11-10-11 08:14 AM
    The iPhone 4 runs at 800 Mhz, uses a bigger battery and doesn't do real multitasking. So it should have a better battery life.
    I forgot they underclocked those... Maybe it was due to battery life. I know that my girlfriend's iPhone 4 is always running on fumes. And my step dad's is always plugged in at about half-day. Neither use the phone that much, my step dad does receive more phone calls as he runs a business, though.

11-10-11 08:20 AM
    for me, i have both iPhone 4 and blackberry 9900. 9900 IS HORRIBLE FOR BATTERY. I GET 5 HOURS MAX ON HEAVY USAGE. for my iPhone i get about a day max on heavy usage. i definitely miss my iPhone 4 battery now that i have 9900. i can switch back anytime since i still have it, but definitely stick with iPhone 4. i hate 9900 battery. it's horrible.
    11-21-11 07:57 PM
    for me, i have both iPhone 4 and blackberry 9900. 9900 IS HORRIBLE FOR BATTERY. I GET 5 HOURS MAX ON HEAVY USAGE. for my iPhone i get about a day max on heavy usage. i definitely miss my iPhone 4 battery now that i have 9900. i can switch back anytime since i still have it, but definitely stick with iPhone 4. i hate 9900 battery. it's horrible.
    5 hours? What software are you on? I upgraded to the latest .540 and get almost two days from my 9900.
    Last edited by gg22; 11-22-11 at 09:04 PM.
    11-21-11 08:13 PM
  14. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    battery life with the latest software upgrade is by everyone's accounts amazing! ... easily blows away the Iphone! ....

SammH421 likes this.
    11-22-11 02:02 AM
    While I love this phone, I will say that I'm only getting about 10-12 hours on pretty heavy usage, where as I could usually squeeze a full 18 hours out of the 9700, I'm waiting to see if my battery life improves, as it usually does when I get a new phone (if that's me just getting used to the performance or the battery/device is up in the air).

If your using an iPhone 4 and want the 9900 but are just worried about the battery life, definitely get the iPhone 4, I'm on this 9900 a lot during the day, and do have apps like Twitter and Facebook, Foursquare and BerryWeather going (with any auto-updating turned off, excluding BeWeather), and also am doing a good bit of SMS and BBM, along with occasional browsing, so I consider this heavy usage, I'm also forced to choose between EDGE and AT&T's 4G/LTE, and I've found in limited testing 4G/LTE isn't helping my battery at all.

If your a "normal user" then you'll get 18-20 hours out of it easily, You may want to have a look at these two articles about the 9900's battery life and maybe follow of the suggestions, if your still worried.
    11-22-11 02:13 AM
    I forgot they underclocked those... Maybe it was due to battery life. I know that my girlfriend's iPhone 4 is always running on fumes. And my step dad's is always plugged in at about half-day. Neither use the phone that much, my step dad does receive more phone calls as he runs a business, though.
    It's not obvious. But under clock could also be due to heat dissipation issues.
    Anyway any phone won't last the day as soon as you have lots of calls. I mean the 9900 is rated for 5.9 hours. If you are 5 hours a day on the phone the battery will be down to 84%. So you're left with 16% for the phone to idle meaning for it to stay connected waiting for push notifications. Is 16% enough?
    About the iPhone 4 I've noticed it is not as good as BlackBerry on idle with push enabled.

Either something is wrong or your heavy usage is somewhat very specific. What do you do on such an heavy usage? As proposed before update to 540 and try again.

battery life with the latest software upgrade is by everyone's accounts amazing! ... easily blows away the Iphone! ....
    I wouldn't say it's amazing. It's back on the usable side. I get something like 40% left at the end of the work day on light use. Nothing really stellar. I mean I can get over 24 hours no problem but with the 9780 I would be at 30% at the end of two days... I still carry a spare battery in case my usage is more than light. The updates are great improvement on idle consumption. I hope for more improvement with 7.1..
    11-22-11 02:41 AM
    Your 9900 is broken. Side by side the 9900 outlasts the iphone4 all day long, any day of the week, without a doubt, it's not even close, etc, etc.
    Zwickliffe likes this.
    11-22-11 07:58 AM
    9900 last about 12 hours of heavy use with new OS .503 and .540
    anyone who hasnt upgraded is missing alot
    11-22-11 08:18 AM
    Have had my new bold for a week now...battery has never lasted past noon. Lots of emails, 2 or 3 calls...no bluetooth or wifi. Sucks!

Last edited by darin3000; 11-22-11 at 10:26 AM.
    11-22-11 10:23 AM
    I really don't understand how people have 40% after 15 hours.. Do you guys use your phone? I took mine off the charger at 830AM and its at 65% at 1130AM.. Haven't even used it that much....

11-22-11 10:36 AM
    If you're a heavy user no phone is going to last all day, I don't care who makes it. If not they're pretty comparable. I wouldn't say either one has a distinct advantage over the other regarding battery life.
    11-22-11 11:16 AM
    I have both phones and I would say the battery life is pretty similar for me. It really depends what your doing on the phones. On my BB I am usually just sending messages and emails and with my iPhone I am listening to music, playing games (more media based stuff). I don't use wifi on either through the day cause my job doesn't have any. The battery life on both phones is getting me through the day (never in the red).
    11-22-11 11:31 AM
    It's not obvious. But under clock could also be due to heat dissipation issues.
    Anyway any phone won't last the day as soon as you have lots of calls. I mean the 9900 is rated for 5.9 hours. If you are 5 hours a day on the phone the battery will be down to 84%. So you're left with 16% for the phone to idle meaning for it to stay connected waiting for push notifications. Is 16% enough?
    About the iPhone 4 I've noticed it is not as good as BlackBerry on idle with push enabled.
    I don't quite know how this has anything to do with my previous post?
    11-22-11 07:05 PM
    I used a 9930 for 2 weeks and now have been using a 4s for 2 weeks. 4S has better battery life. For me anyways. 9930 was dead by 2 or 3 in afternoon and with the 4S I am making it all day for the most part!
    wylderubicon likes this.
    11-22-11 07:26 PM
    The battery life on the 9900 is a problem for sure, i have to charge it over night and in the middle of the day, everyday. I even bought an external usb battery charger from Duracell so i have no surprises on the go. Thats really the only problem im having with this phone.
    11-22-11 07:33 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD