I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem but my wife and I just bought the 9930 and we talk on the phone quite a bit. We've discovered that if either of us is doing ANYTHING while talking it is at an ear piercing level through the speaker.

For instance, I was putting vitamins in a small cup the other day and my wife said it sounded like I was hitting the speaker over and over. We have both noticed way too much speaker sensitivity on the new devices. Anyone else? Thoughts?

Side note - love the phone other than this problem AND all close-up photos with the camera are blurry....HATE that.

MG
    09-13-11 01:58 PM
    I actually ran into this problem yesterday. I was walking down a city street talking to my girlfriend (different phone and different carrier than I) and she was complaining about the street noise (an ambulance went by, crowded streets, etc). I was trying to think if I'd been in that situation before. I'm usually not on the street using my phone at that time of day so I don't think anyone has complained before. There also doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the microphone volume (at least I haven't found it).
    09-13-11 03:36 PM
    In my case, it was definitely an issue on my end because my voice was coming across at the same volume as the atmospheric sounds despite the phone being to my ear and some of the sounds she heard originating quite far from me.

I used to have the opposite problem with my 9650 where people had a hard time hearing me (in general). I'm pretty sure that phone had some sort of microphone surpression techonology but I can't remember where that option was in the menu.

Idk, I just hope that yesterday was a fluke and this won't be a reoccuring issue.
    09-13-11 04:10 PM
    Having the exact same problem with my 9900, I work in a kitchen and every time I'm on a call the person I'm talking to is complaining about the background noise, extractor fans etc, had the 9780 and 9700 previous to this and there was never an issue and the background noise definitely hasnt increased so it has to be an issue with the phone. Waiting to see if its a fault or if the microphone is too sensitive before I send it back to shop see if they can do anything. Apart from this issue and the terrible battery life I'm extrememly happy.
    09-13-11 04:31 PM
    yes! just walking down a busy high street, the other end of the conversation said they could here people talking as I walked past people in the street!
    09-14-11 11:09 AM
    Had that problem on BB8300 way back. At the time RIM was supposedly implementing "noise cancellation". In was supposed to amplify your voice while decreasing background noise. It did the opposite and increased background noise. Subsequent models had this issue fixed. I see it is an issue again on the 9900/9930's. I tried several in many Verizon stores and all did same.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    09-14-11 03:36 PM
    I have had my 9930 for a little over a month now and I am having more and more people tell me that they hear everything that is going on in the background. I had my daughter take my phone out and call me on her phone and it was pretty annoying. I have done the same with two other people as well with the same result. It's almost like the mic is too good. It just needs to cancel out the background noise.

I love everything about this phone, but this bothers me as I use it as my primary phone.
    09-22-11 03:18 PM
    Yes, definitely too sensitive, especially living in NYC i get complaints about background noises all the time.
    09-22-11 03:32 PM
    I returned my first 9930 for this reason. On several occasions I had to end conversations because the background noise was so loud (and people said my voice was similarly loud). One of the reviews I read mentioned this problem, too. The unit I have now seems to be okay, though.
    09-22-11 03:39 PM
    Turn on Audio Boost and Auto Volume Control. Works for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 03:46 PM
    Turn off Audio Boost on the Listening phone.
    I have the same problem with background noise being very annoying to callers; checked audio boost and it's not on. Wish they would come up with something like the noise cancellation function on bluetooth devices.
    09-22-11 03:49 PM
    The Auto volume seems to cancel out background noise on the ear piece as well as the mic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD