Okay, I am planning to purchase the new Bold, but I am out of contract, so I have the option of joining whichever network I please.

I understand the CDMA and GSM differences, and I understand that if I were to move to London (which is a reach, but a possibility) I would be able to use either phone on a UK GSM network with a sim card.

What I am wondering is which of these two phones and networks would be the wiser choice for Los Angeles, and possibly London.

Will the VZW version have the ugly stamp/startup logo? Will the ATT be unbadged and possibly include the upcoming ATT 4G LTE?

Or is there really no difference in the end...

Thanks for responding kindly to a noobish post (i've done some research, but it isn't very enlightening).
    08-15-11 06:30 PM
    if you're going to stay in LA, i would recommend verizon. i work and live around downtown LA and never had a problem with reception. i have nothing but good things to say about verizon's reliable network. i have two coworkers who have at&t blackberries and they're always constantly dropping calls. makes me wonder why they stay with at&t. just my two cents.
    08-15-11 06:38 PM
    I agree... I live here in LA and Verizon's coverage is way better than AT&T who people I know on their network have nothing but dropped calls. If you didn't want to go with a CDMA phone then I would go with T-Mobile over AT&T any day of the week.
    08-15-11 08:01 PM
    isn't t-mobile merging with att and the new 9900 could possibly include 4G?
    08-15-11 08:04 PM
    The true advantages of ATT are:

* H+ data speeds
    * Faster 3G
    * Voice and data simultaneously
    * For some reason GSM blackberries have better audio management than CDMA (i.e. message notifications while listening to music happens simultaneously and through the headphone bluetooth device etc, while on CDMA everything stops and notification goes only through phone speaker) this may not be the case with the 9900, I don't know...
    * For some reason HTML emails have always looked better on GSM BBs than CDMA

Disadvantages:
    * More dropped calls
    * Wait for ever to get 9900

PS I was a VZW for 7 years, now on ATT...
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mypearl1 likes this.
    08-15-11 08:17 PM

* H+ data speeds
    * Faster 3G
    * For some reason GSM blackberries have better audio management than CDMA (i.e. message notifications while listening to music happens simultaneously and through the headphone bluetooth device etc, while on CDMA everything stops and notification goes only through phone speaker) this may not be the case with the 9900, I don't know...

Disadvantages:
    * More dropped calls

Right on and smart answer.

one more thing. Con for the 9900 ATT/T-mobile is 5% less battery time (refer to spec sheets).

I think the simultaneous data/voice and the H+ make the 9900 a superior phone
    09-01-11 12:25 AM

* H+ data speeds
    * Faster 3G

Disadvantages:
    * More dropped calls

With new 9930 on Verizon I have no problems with device playing notification sound over music. Didn't work so well on previous device/os but works great now. I can't speak much for LA but I'm SD just south and I know people in LA as well and they all prefer Verizon or wish they had it.
    09-01-11 12:29 AM
    I live by the beach in the L.A. area and have had T-Mobile for over 5 years now. I've had Verizon and att but only with "dumb phones" so it's not fair for me to assess how good or fast their networks are today. But T-Mobile never gives me any problems, and their 4G is pretty much everywhere here, except the usual terrible spots like the very bottom floors of buildings. I work in downtown Long Beach and even there, like 20miles from downtown L.A. has 4G everywhere.
    09-01-11 02:01 AM
    Can't speak to the LA reception question, but no carrier's version of 9900/9930 will be 4G/LTE enabled. The specs have long since been submitted and approved by the FCC without any LTE radio. Given the existing battery concerns with device, not sure that would be desirable anyway right now. Finally, US has filed Antitrust lawsuit to block ATT/T-Mobile merger as of 8-31-11, so don't hold your breath for that one.
    09-01-11 05:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD