I am on my second Bold 9900. The first one seemed to only want to charge to 100% sporadically. This was after at least a ten hour charge. I had seen the thing charge completely much faster than that.

My T-Mobile folks agreed it sounded funny. They agreed to replace the battery. That did not help. They agreed to replace the phone. For the first week, all was well. Then first thing this morning after an overnight charge, it was only at 99% and still flashing as it does when charging.

Any ideas before I try number three? Resetting this thing gets easier after a couple of times, but really is a waste. (Now the guys tell me "Oh, you know if you have a media card, present OS allows you to back up the phone so you can transfer it to a new device." Thanks for telling me right after the old phone was wiped. )
    10-09-11 04:17 PM
    I think its an OS problem. Mine has been acting up lately after I did a wipe and restore. It was fine for a bit then it came back. Not sure what's up. I'm using a cradle and I haven't tried plugging it in directly in a while though. Prob will give that a try and see how it turns out.
    10-09-11 04:24 PM
    Mine would noy fully charge either until I ran it out just once. Now it charges to 100% everytime.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 06:01 PM
    Mine would noy fully charge either until I ran it out just once. Now it charges to 100% everytime.

Mine will say 100% on the info screen - but, I was just charging it for at least 15 mins after that and still no black plug..normal? Does it take longer or should I have taken it off? - I just don't want to 'harm' the battery.
    10-09-11 06:06 PM
    The only way you can harm a Lithium ion baterry is by repeatedly discharging. From what I have noticed, my charger quick charges up to about the last 10%, then slows down. I plug mine in anytime I feel like it. My last bb was charged the same way and rarely run dry. It was passed on to a coworker and the battery is very healthy 2 years later. Just leave it plugged in till the lightning bolt goes away and your left with the black plug symbol. Just don't run it out completely a lot!

10-09-11 06:49 PM
    The only way you can harm a Lithium ion baterry is by repeatedly discharging. From what I have noticed, my charger quick charges up to about the last 10%, then slows down. I plug mine in anytime I feel like it. My last bb was charged the same way and rarely run dry. It was passed on to a coworker and the battery is very healthy 2 years later. Just leave it plugged in till the lightning bolt goes away and your left with the black plug symbol. Just don't run it out completely a lot!

Thanks for the insight, should be helpful.

Will continue to charge then when on the go (car, work, etc). Getting that black plug (even after device stated 100%) was taking a LONG time tho, odd.
    10-09-11 07:06 PM
    I'm experiencing similar issues. Sometimes my phone will charge to 95% and stay there for hours. And sometimes when it does reach a full 100% charge the lightning bolt icon will continue to flash. For some reason the black plug icon will not come up. Very rarely does my phones battery charge to a 100% cleanly and get that plug icon. In the beginning it always had but lately the charging is very erratic. Its a nuisance to have to plug and unplug the cable to get a finished charge. I'm hoping an OS update will fix this.

10-09-11 07:19 PM
    Glad to know it is not just me. Anyone know if this charging weirdness is one RIM knows about? Or do they think incomplete and long charging discrepancies are normal in a $600.00 phone?
    10-09-11 07:38 PM
    Try turning off your "radio" signal... Usually our BB keeps on connecting (or 3rd party app) which causes battery drainage...

This way u know for sure if it's a "device" problem...

Good luck!

10-09-11 07:58 PM
    Are you guys charging via USB to computer or USB and wall outlet?
    10-09-11 10:39 PM
    I always charge via wall charger

10-09-11 10:42 PM
    I always charge via wall charger

Hrmm, interesting... When I first got my device, I had this problem and then I was using the computer to charge. Lately I've been using the older wall charger and that has always gotten me to 100%. After using that a couple of times I switched to the little cube charger the 9930 comes with and unlike previous times with this particular charger, I finally hit 100%. Last night using the computer I hit 100%, but the device began acting a little unusually with faster than usual battery drain. Pulled the battery and it froze during the progress bar! Pulled the battery again and this time it went all the way... Got home and connected it to the computer and now I'm stuck at 94%... so f'in weird!
    10-09-11 10:55 PM
    Hrmm, interesting... When I first got my device, I had this problem and then I was using the computer to charge. Lately I've been using the older wall charger and that has always gotten me to 100%. After using that a couple of times I switched to the little cube charger the 9930 comes with and unlike previous times with this particular charger, I finally hit 100%. Last night using the computer I hit 100%, but the device began acting a little unusually with faster than usual battery drain. Pulled the battery and it froze during the progress bar! Pulled the battery again and this time it went all the way... Got home and connected it to the computer and now I'm stuck at 94%... so f'in weird!
    My PlayBook always charges via rapid charge dock, so i'll use my PlayBook's wall charger to charge my 9930 (or even my PowerMat) because they have a slightly higher voltage but not enough to hurt it. I feel like the battery unit and the power consumption of these 9930s are just a little more than what the wall charger can do. (especially a computer's USB port.

So to the OP, try a PlayBook charger if you can (try draining all battery ((just once every two or three months)) then charging via playbook charger with the phone off)

Just an idea
    10-09-11 11:05 PM
    I am on my second Bold 9900. The first one seemed to only want to charge to 100% sporadically. This was after at least a ten hour charge. I had seen the thing charge completely much faster than that.

My T-Mobile folks agreed it sounded funny. They agreed to replace the battery. That did not help. They agreed to replace the phone. For the first week, all was well. Then first thing this morning after an overnight charge, it was only at 99% and still flashing as it does when charging.

Any ideas before I try number three? Resetting this thing gets easier after a couple of times, but really is a waste. (Now the guys tell me "Oh, you know if you have a media card, present OS allows you to back up the phone so you can transfer it to a new device." Thanks for telling me right after the old phone was wiped. )
    By da way... Where are u getting that "99%" reading from ?!?

I use "batteryWatch" and on home screen it reads "99%+" but when I open batteryWatch it reads 100%... When I go to "options" on home screen to check battery it reads "100%"

I don't see what's da big deal anyways...

10-09-11 11:17 PM
    just do a reboot and it will display the percentage correctly. The .440 OS fixes this problem for me
    10-09-11 11:42 PM
    just do a reboot and it will display the percentage correctly. The .440 OS fixes this problem for me
    -_- i want .440
    10-09-11 11:45 PM
    I had the same issue, sometimes it would get stuck at 95% and sometimes it would show 100% but it always showed the lightning bolt charging symbol. I ran the battery down to 9% and did a full charge with the wall charger. Now I get the plug in symbol when it's fully charged.
    10-10-11 02:05 AM
    I have had the same issue with my 9930 on verizon.. if i charge it using the charging dock it wont charger higher than 98%. If I just use the cable and plug it into the micro usb port my phone will charge to 100%. I have wondered the if it's a software issue or a hardware issue.
    10-10-11 10:55 AM
    I have had the same issue with my 9930 on verizon.. if i charge it using the charging dock it wont charger higher than 98%. If I just use the cable and plug it into the micro usb port my phone will charge to 100%. I have wondered the if it's a software issue or a hardware issue.
    My guess is software. I was having issues with needing to reboot the phone to get it to charge occasionally. Since I upgraded to .440 I haven't had any charging issues and my battery life is vastly improved.
    10-10-11 11:13 AM
    I find it more convenient charging through a USB to computer

- Charles
    10-10-11 12:16 PM
    I find it more convenient charging through a USB to computer

- Charles
    Why do you keep putting your name charles
    Your username should be "I'm charles" oor something
    Just add charles as your signature not after your post

10-10-11 01:43 PM
    Why do you keep putting your name charles
    Your username should be "I'm charles" oor something
    Just add charles as your signature not after your post

Who the F cares?
    10-10-11 02:12 PM
    Mine is never constant in terms of what that so called final charge number ends up being. Sometimes I see 97% some times I see 98% and will not increase.

Funny thing is it only gets to this weird 97-98% number on ever other charge. So say I charge it today it will go to 100%, charge it tomorrow it only goes to 97-98%, charge it again the following day and it goes to 100%. And that pattern has remained constant since I got it on launch day.

What is even more weird is I almost always seem to get better life off the 97-98% charge. Either way it is such a minor issue I'm not too bothered about it. If RIM fixes it in an update I'll happy, if not oh well, does not affect my phone's performance.
    10-10-11 02:26 PM
    The 99% reading is from batterybooster readout. And aside from that, I can see the home screen battery icon still saying it is charging after 10 hours or more. The big deal? Just that for what this thing costs, I expect it to work correctly, and charging for that long and not getting to the end is not acceptable. It is only a small amount of charge I know, but it is the principle of the thing. If nothing more, the battery is undersized enough that not charging to 100% could be leading to other issues, or be an indication of other battery related issues. And if it is an operating system issue, then a fix can happen. It is all good.
    10-10-11 11:17 PM
    Love my 9930 but my only complaint is the battery. I'm not a heavy user but can't even get through an entire day without charging when i come home from work. It charges relatively quickly on the wall charger to 100%. The lightning bolt stops flashing but I have never gotten the "plug" symbol.
    10-10-11 11:29 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD