1. mysticpoo's Avatar
    I just bought the Blackberry 9780 last month from Rogers. It's been quite good until I saw news of the new BOLD 9900! I just got it last month! Do you think Rogers will allow me to upgrade it or will I be stuck with it for another 2 years? Anyone have any thoughts? What should I do? Thank you so much.
    05-03-11 08:39 PM
  2. papped's Avatar
    Last month? You're stuck for sure...
    05-03-11 08:40 PM
  3. Fr3lncr's Avatar
    You will be stuck on your contract... I am in the same boat as well upgrading to a 9700 last June and extending my contract obligations. However, I sold my 9700 for a good deal and used it to pay for a 9780 and the difference was $100. In retrospect a bad decision since it really wasn't a worthwhile upgrade... but at least I am not out of pocket too much.

    I plan on getting the new Bold as soon as it comes out so I may sell my 9780 to help pay for it. What to sell it for will depend on what they will go for in a couple of months. This is why I returned my PlayBook so I'd have the money for the new Bold... Though I still want to buy the PlayBook again so something has to give :-(
    05-03-11 09:09 PM
  4. mysticpoo's Avatar
    Thanks. This is my first blackberry and I quite enjoy it. I guess I'll stick with it for the next 2 years until my next hardware upgrade.
    05-03-11 10:21 PM
  5. mark_rivers19's Avatar
    sell it now, before the release of the 9900, that's the only way you can get more bang for your bucks.. that is, of course, if you're willing to sacrfice a few months without your BlackBerry.
    since your 9780 is fairly new, you can get at least $400 EASY!!
    so you will only need to save $100 - $200 for the 9900 assuming that they'll be price competitively.
    05-03-11 10:41 PM
  6. lax42's Avatar
    Yea sell it now, and buy an old blackberry to hold you over

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-11 07:43 PM
  7. sleepngbear's Avatar
    Thanks. This is my first blackberry and I quite enjoy it. I guess I'll stick with it for the next 2 years until my next hardware upgrade.
    Not sure how it works on Rogers, but at&t, while they lock you into a 2-year commitment on the wireless contract, they often will start offering discounts to upgrade the phone after one year. I know I'll be eligible to upgrade in September, which will be one year since I bought the Torch.
    05-06-11 08:32 PM
  8. jinxednuance's Avatar
    Sell now and buy outright (not from carrier).

    Find a local retailer that would have it in stock.

    I upgraded from 9700 to 9780. I got the white 9780 for $420 unlock/unbranded
    05-07-11 10:07 AM
  9. aNard's Avatar
    I'm also seriously thinking of upgrade my 9780 to the new 9900, even if my phone has only 4 months of life (oh well, at least it has lasted longer than my iphone4.. i had it for only 21 days before the selling :O ).

    The new bigger and touch capable screen is tempting me too much and is only one of the upgrades which are coming with this new version.. i must save some money before the official launch in my country of this new bold!
    05-07-11 10:29 AM