I've been browsing the forum for this subject and all the different methods and solutions to DM issues confuse me.
    So let me get this straight:

1) I use DM ONLY to transfer my BBM contacts.

2) As a Google Sync user, I use Google Sync to transfer my contacts and calendar; I simply log in to Google Sync on my new device, and sync.

3) I do NOT transfer options and apps in DM 'cause that apparently screws up BB ID. I reinstall all apps after changing my PIN in the appstore.

4) I use my existing BB ID to log in to BB Protect and it'll backup my new device at preferred interval, without duplicating contacts.

Am I right?
    08-22-11 11:26 AM
    Yes you are right and good to go. I switched from 9700 to 9900 with the same steps you outlined above.

I had no issues except, the BlackBerry App World Wikitude browser app is older. After install I got an error message saying that it is not supported anymore and click to download the right version.

So, wikitude must be updated after downloading from the App World.

Warning:Also make sure your 9700 is off and you are logged out of the App World on your 9700 BEFORE you log back in with the same ID on your 9900. One of my friends log in to 9900 while he is log in to 9780 with a different SIM card. This screwed up every thing.
    savadepa likes this.
    08-22-11 11:35 AM
    my advice!!

dont transfer!! just make sure your contacts are synced with your comp and then just plug in the new device to desktop manager and sync the contacts to the new phone!! i used device switch and then had to wipe the 9900 and start from scratch as the switch device transferred apps that overwrote the new ones and caused me to have major problems especially trying to setup email accounts!
    08-22-11 11:39 AM
    thanks mss-ca!
    @bbmasterg: seems like you fell into the trap described here
    mssca likes this.
    08-22-11 11:52 AM
    Forgot to say this... make sure that Google Sync do not duplicate you contacts. Once I used Google Sync for contacts, it duplicated my contacts 200 times making my phone book over 500 contacts. So, be careful because Google Sync has some bugs.

I only use Google Sync for Calender data after I had enough of duplicate entries on my contacts.
    08-22-11 12:16 PM
    Forgot to say this... make sure that Google Sync do not duplicate you contacts. Once I used Google Sync for contacts, it duplicated my contacts 200 times making my phone book over 500 contacts. So, be careful because Google Sync has some bugs.

I only use Google Sync for Calender data after I had enough of duplicate entries on my contacts.
    Ok. So any ideas on how to avoid dupe contacts when Google syncing?
    08-22-11 01:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD