I was with Telus on my 3rd clone of my 8330 - I have fixed this phone more times than I can count - everything from cracked screens to shorted-out usb ports.

Broke the keypad on my 8330 - none of the keys work, can't navigate the screen, can't fix it this time Tried doing a backup/restore from one 8330 to a second identical 8330 - would only restore prev. emails - NOT bbm contacts, address book, call history or anything useful! (basically, it reformatted my email settings and nothing more even tho when I watched the backup file being made it said it was backing up "address book - all" etc!)

Couldn't do a device swap from one unit to the other with both plugged in (only one good battery to share between the 2 8330s - the rest shorted out with a usb port incident...), said it was "successful" when I did it with one plugged in at a time with no new results. Still no contacts, and no way to navigate the screen to get them! Can't open an .ipd file without paying some viral scamware $40, and even then I don't trust it would work.

Bought a brand new 9900 outright, $750. Desktop manager is the most recent version (can't find any new updates) and it WILL NOT recognize the 9900 if it is the only phone plugged in! It immediately crashes, saying desktop manager is not responding. When I do a device swap and start up destop manager, it recognizes both phones with my old 8330's PIN showing as cuurently connected.

I set the 8330 as my current phone, and make the backup file. If the 9900 is also connected, it goes thru the process of backing up the 8330 no problem, then freezes when trying to auto load into the 9900. If I backup the 8330 without the 9900 plugged in, desktop manager then prompts me for my new phone PIN. If I plug in the 9900, it recogizes it and proceeds before telling me my new device does not have sufficient memory for my old data to load and forces me to cancel, saying I should select fewer options.

I have tried different methods of backing my old phone's data up, I have selected backing up only the device memory (omitting apps), and it still says there's not enough device memory. I have tried selecting specific applications to transfer over, and it tells me nothing is available to transfer to the new device.

I am so fed up with this. Everytime my phone crashes, it's pulling hair to try to get my data back! With the 9900, I DO have a SIM card where I didn't before - could this be part of the problem? I am ready to take this 9900 back and be done with blackberry forever. I take the steps to BACKUP my much-needed date (business contacts, etc) and THIS is what I get for it?? I refuse to settle for "oh well, it is what it is" - I thought this software was designed to make it EASY to upgrade and give RIM more of my hard-earned money? What a waste.
    12-26-11 11:25 PM
    My device swap was seamless. Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    12-26-11 11:31 PM
    I always always start fresh with a new blackberry and just restore things one at the time. Blackberry protect takes care of most of it. BBM has it's own backup and so do other apps.

Switching from OS4.5 to OS7 is bound to have some incompatibilities, word substitution is one.
    12-27-11 04:00 AM
    My brother.
    8330m > 9930. Swapped fine.
    12-27-11 06:17 AM
    I swapped an 8330 to a 9930 (Verizon) in October. It was seamless on the first try. Couldn't have been easier.
    12-27-11 06:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD