Hi everyone,

I have tried my very hardest not to worry about battery life. I've read all the threads. Upgraded to .490. Deleted social feeds. Kept wifi off. Not installed any apps. Don't have any messengers apart from BBM running. Done battery pulls. Charged and emptied battery.
    And, if nothing is happening on the phone it discharges at around 3-5% per hour.

However, as soon as I "use" the phone, it can't keep up.

Worst example of this was today. I made one 15 minute call and the battery went down 8%. Surely that is wrong? I mean, it would give me only 3 hours talk time, if that...

I really don't want to be a battery hater or worrier but this stat really concerns me.
    Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-11 03:07 PM
    Have you tried replacing the battery? If the loss is that severe, it may well have a few defective cells - I'd try taking it to your provider and asking for a new battery (for free, of course).

Edit: I should mention that the reason I suggest this is due to my experiences - my first Torch (the one before this one) only lasted four-five hours. I am a heavy user, but that struck me as ridiculous; even if I have wi-fi/bluetooth on, the battery should hold more charge. Got a replacement battery and it worked out like a charm.
    Last edited by CuddlyCombine; 10-25-11 at 03:28 PM.
    10-25-11 03:26 PM
    all other things being equal, your battery may drain faster if you are in an area of weak wireless coverage.
    10-25-11 03:32 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have tried my very hardest not to worry about battery life. I've read all the threads. Upgraded to .490. Deleted social feeds. Kept wifi off. Not installed any apps. Don't have any messengers apart from BBM running. Done battery pulls. Charged and emptied battery.
    And, if nothing is happening on the phone it discharges at around 3-5% per hour.

However, as soon as I "use" the phone, it can't keep up.

Worst example of this was today. I made one 15 minute call and the battery went down 8%. Surely that is wrong? I mean, it would give me only 3 hours talk time, if that...

I really don't want to be a battery hater or worrier but this stat really concerns me.
    Do you have any thoughts?

Thanks a lot!

You could try wiping and reinstalling the OS before you try battery return, because to be honest it sounds more software than hardware but battery is still possible.

*if you reinstall, run the battery down to 0 then overnight charge it to 100% while it's off
    *Make sure your screen brightness is down as much as you can handle
    *Have backlight timeouts as low as you can handle
    *Turn off wifi/bluetooth when you don't use them
    *Close apps with menu->exit(or close)
    *Use the holster that came with it as it has a sleep-mode feature that saves battery!
    *Have any auto-updating apps set to as less-often as possible (like Facebook, i have it to not update my feeds until i open it, and twitter)
    *Go to Options->Device->Location Settings and change "Location Data" to disabled, it just constantly updates your location info. It just takes me 5 seconds w/ Google Maps to get my location with that off. It was on every few seconds in my device event logs, so i figured it was too big of a battery user

Those are just a few random things i can throw out that help me.
    Yesterday i went 6:30am-11:00pm off the charger (about normal) and it was at 25% I use my BB above average, but not constantly (as i have classes) but it's always turned on!
    10-25-11 03:36 PM
    Nick your not alone! ive had my long awaited 9900 for 4 days now all of which Ive spent loading and reloading firmware security wipes and transfers in order to get the dammed thing working.
    well finally it is working and I got to use it in anger for the first time toady so a brief description of my first day with Blackberrys latest wonder of a creation!

charged fully overnight, (taken off charge at 5:20am)
    left for work and checked facebook 1 or twice during the morning, received and sent 3 x txts, 2 BBM messages.

then at 11.00am I had a 15 minute call.
    at 12.00am I had a 45 minute call, after this call my battery had drained down to the last section which was displaying in orange.

at 13.00pm I placed the Bold on charge coupled to a desktop pc by usb cable for 40 minutes.

it is my opinion based on this forst days use that the supplied battery is not sufficient for 1 days use.

Ive had 3 bolds on the trot now and am aware that battery life normally gets better with updates and time however starting with a battery that cannot provide me with 1 days use is not a good starting block and due to being unable that I can get to the pc for any length of time I can see that I am going to face many days of going home with a dead phone in my pocket which in my book is alarming !

Lee.

by 15:00pm I was back in the orange and had to charge the phone again.
    10-25-11 04:01 PM
    theres nothin wrong with your phone
    search this forum
    a lot of people having the same issues.
    i always charged my 9900 3 times daily
    thats how bad the battery life is
    i know its bad and sad
    after waiting for the dream phone
    paying a lot of money for it (in my country there's no plans or anything , we paid full price) which is US$650
    then in the end we had this so called smartphone which should be near power outlet all the time

thats why in this forums, i mock and expressing my feeling too cause right now i'm totally disappointed by RIM.
    10-25-11 04:07 PM
    theres nothin wrong with your phone
    search this forum
    a lot of people having the same issues.
    i always charged my 9900 3 times daily
    thats how bad the battery life is
    i know its bad and sad
    after waiting for the dream phone
    paying a lot of money for it (in my country there's no plans or anything , we paid full price) which is US$650
    then in the end we had this so called smartphone which should be near power outlet all the time

thats why in this forums, i mock and expressing my feeling too cause right now i'm totally disappointed by RIM.
    You're telling me you run your battery down THREE times a day??? I don't think i could do that if i wanted to!!!
    10-25-11 06:53 PM
    @ the OP - That must have been one **** of call! Kidding, however, your battery just needs to be fully cycled 4-5 times before you'll see an improvement in battery life. I have three batteries, but only one that performs notably better than the other two, which are both about the same. In my case, the other two batteries are in a big way, part of the poor device battery life issue. While my battery life isn't as good as a 9780, it's about 75-85% of it, which all things considered, isn't that bad. There are many naysayers here who will tell you how RIM sucks etc....and how RIM should have built this device. Most of them write like 4 year old's and have the mental capacity of a 2x4, so you really have to sift through the crap and consider the source.

Time will improve your battery life. Just make sure you have all the apps (not in use), closed at all times and you remove things like social feeds, auto updating apps like weather, currency etc...

You may also have a defective battery, as I do (2 actually).
    10-25-11 07:38 PM
    I upgraded to .440. I was on .390. .390 had pretty good battery life. Today I took my phone off the charger at 5:00 AM It is now 11:30 AM So 6.5 hours. In that time maybe 20 emails 20 minutes surfing and a 10 minutes phone calls. Battery is currently at 95% I kid you not. Oh both H+ and Wifi running all the time. I would suggest people try a new battery. There was a known issue of some 9900's not starting up right out of the box because a poor battery. Now that could mean the actual physical Li-po part or the microcontroller in the battery itself may not be reporting properly. I'm just guessing on this but if your phone is still covered by replacement. GET A NEW BATTERY STAT. Your mileage should be way better than is being reported above.
    10-26-11 02:36 PM
    Hi ,
    the 9900 battery issue really concerns me. I have a droid at the moment and can't stand it. I like the 9900 but there's no point in having a phone if it can't make it through a day. My wife has an iphone 4, she leaves everything on all the time - wifi etc - uses it lots, and easily makes it through a day with charge to spare. I really don't like iproducts but if it does the job I'll go there.
    Why, why why did Blackberry not fit a bigger battery to the 9900.
    10-26-11 03:12 PM
    Hi ,
    the 9900 battery issue really concerns me. I have a droid at the moment and can't stand it. I like the 9900 but there's no point in having a phone if it can't make it through a day. My wife has an iphone 4, she leaves everything on all the time - wifi etc - uses it lots, and easily makes it through a day with charge to spare. I really don't like iproducts but if it does the job I'll go there.
    Why, why why did Blackberry not fit a bigger battery to the 9900.
    It would have made it too thick for their desired design.

10-26-11 03:19 PM
    Yeh I understand that but I thought Blackberrys are about functionality not just sleek design.
    10-26-11 03:31 PM
    I intiially had the same issues with my new 9900. Didnt even use it for say 2-3hrs one morning, not even one email, and battery went from 100% to 80% in 3hrs without any use, not one email. Then took a 5min call and lost another 10%. Something clearly was wrong. I just got the BB and did a device switch from my Torch 9800.

Was googling around saw others having the same issue and some said they resolved their issues by NOT doing a device switch when going fro OS6 to OS7. So thats what I did, reloaded the same OS (.440 in my case) and this time didnt restore the backup or did a device switch. Im on a BES for work, so just let Blackberry Desktop manager re-active my Enterprise email, which pretty much brought most of contacts and settings back on the phone anyways, and then manually loaded the missing applications by redownloading them from appworld (again here didnt use Desktop Manager to even load the apps).

Now its night and day. 3hrs go by, no use,and it barely dropped 5%. Took a 1.5hr call and only lost 20%. That same 1.5hr call before (based on the simply 5min call I had before) wouldve killed the battery.

So it seems something in the device switch and restoring of the data is leaving behind some garbage that is causing the CPU to chug along on this "garbage" constantly. Thats the best thing I can think of.

I now have zero issues with the Battery. Seems to work and discharge as normal with my daily use as it has with my previous 10 blackberries ive upgraded from.

Dixit
    bowledbybold likes this.
    10-26-11 03:39 PM
    "Get the newest update, Turn everything off when your not using it, kill the automatic social feed updates."

"Get the newest update, Turn everything off when your not using it, kill the automatic social feed updates."

10-26-11 03:45 PM
    Yeh I understand that but I thought Blackberrys are about functionality not just sleek design.
    They are, but they had to cave to consumers mentality. What's a hot feature of a phone? Thin thin thin. Plus, they wanted to make it so you can remove the battery (adds space).
    10-26-11 05:00 PM
    Here in Taiwan they are giving away an extra battery at Taiwan Mobile for those that buy the Bold 9900. I guess they know that the battery is bad so they offer new buyers an extra battery. Not sure how long this will last but this week the deal is on for an extra battery for those that sign up for a BB Plan and buy a new Bold 9900.
    10-27-11 03:02 AM
    i think that they purposely make the battery thinner and they know that the battery life might suffer
    so that those who buy the 9900/9930 should or will buy their extra battery and desktop charger to be able to run the devices for 1 day use.
    so that in the end RIM (who almost collapse before can get more profit from us)

isn't this the only BB that have extra battery and charger package for sell ?

and i think about the phone is to thin saying is a little too weird

iPhone 4 is thinner, have bigger touch screen with higher resolution , yet their battery life is better than this.
    10-27-11 04:28 AM
    Sad part is that putting 1230mah battery to make the phone thinner and removing auto focus to make it thin also, but the galaxy s2 has a larger battery (1500mah + ) and auto focus am confused how
    Maybe the lenght of the s2 is why

10-27-11 10:15 AM
    I had the same problems!

So I looked at all the different posts on line. I was going to ask for a new battery but decided to give all these or some of these fixes a try first!

Glad I did as this just did not make any scene what was going on! I have been using BlackBerry for over 8 years now and this being my number 5! My last one was the bold 9700 and that battery lasted me two days or three and some times even 4 days so I know that something was wrong!

So after making the following changes which I will list below I went from a battery that would last me only from 6:15 am to lets say noon 1 pm to now not even going down by 20% from 6:15 this morning till now 4:30 pm.

So what did I do? Took off the Wi-fi when not in use. Took down the brightness from 100 to 50 even 40, and finally took the backlight time to 20 Sec and checked the Auto dim.

That is all I did and all is good!

I have another full list of things that I could still do but will not unless I need to so I will keep everyone posted on what happens next!
    10-27-11 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD