Not exactly a n00b to this....i've done this for various devices over the years and never had any issues.

Problem is I am trying to install 7.1 on my brand new, fresh out of the box (UK) 9900.
    I installed this on my other (US) 9900 a few months ago with no issues...

Deleted vendor.xml as usual....ran a search for any others, none found.

All I get when I try to install is this error:

Same error when installing via loader, or via BBSAK.
    Cant find any other other vendor.xml files anywhere on the computer (running win7).
    I even ran the script on this thread and it found none: http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...emover-673344/

To make sure, I tried the same process on another computer (running XP) with exactly the same error.
    Tried this for two versions of 7.1 with same results now.

Er.....any suggestions?
    05-10-12 08:27 AM
    Did you accidentally delete the 7.1 OS from your computer? Check Add/Remove Programs and make sure it's there (and it's the only one there). If it isn't, you need to install it. If it is there, I'd suggest ununstalling and reinstalling it and try Apploader again.
    05-10-12 08:39 AM
    First thing I did was uninstall and then resintall.
    Have tried it on both computers with both OS (not at the same time obviously)..

FYI- one is 7.1.0.267, and the other is the latest rogers release 7.1.0.391.
    05-10-12 08:49 AM
    I think there is a 9900-9930 conflict here.
    Last edited by Atakan; 05-10-12 at 10:02 AM.
    05-10-12 09:54 AM
    I think there is a 9900-9930 conflict here.
    Absolutely not.... both 9900s - one US T-mobile contract supplied and working fine.
    New one is orange UK contract supplied, trying to install exactly the same OS as running on the other and gets the error as shown. Ditto when trying the rogers one here: http://crackberry.com/rogers-release...erry-bold-9900
    Last edited by MexicanRacoon; 05-10-12 at 11:16 AM.
    05-10-12 11:12 AM
    I have seen this from time to time on OS's through the years. Assuming that you do have 7.1 installed correctly, and it sounds to me like you do, the easiest way to deal with this is to completely uninstall any OS and DM software, reboot, reinstall and start the update again. That should work. Make you have the latest DM as well.
    05-10-12 06:13 PM
    Maybe try removing the other phone from DM?
    05-10-12 07:10 PM
    Removed DM, reinstalled (latest version)
    Removed 7.1 software, downloaded different version and installed.
    Removed vendor.xml . Searched for second file, and there is no other vendor.xml file anywhere on the computer, even in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML, there is just a device.xml

Done all of the above multiple times.

Same error. Constantly

Seriously....wtf. I've done this before multiple times on the 9900, so WTF is going on?
    Last edited by MexicanRacoon; 05-12-12 at 08:02 AM.
    05-12-12 08:00 AM
    Well here is a way to search for vendor file in a command prompt.
    click start,type cmd, enter, cd\ [enter], dir vendor.xml /s /p [enter] let it run, take note of where it finds them and go delete them from those locations and try again.
    05-12-12 09:24 AM
    05-12-12 09:30 AM
    I did that yesterday and none found (as posted in the original post- seriously, kinda hard to miss it?)

Anyway. You learn something new every day.
    As it turns out, it wasnt a vendor.xml issue (so im not going mad).
    Unlike older blackberrys, the 9900 needs a SIM card inserted to update the OS. As it was literally fresh out of the box, I hadnt put the SIM in and had no intention of doing so until 7.1 was installed.....

I just put it in, tried again, BOOM, done and working fine
    05-12-12 09:44 AM
    LOL nice. I'm on cdma so have never had a sim card.
    05-12-12 10:00 AM
    LOL nice. I'm on cdma so have never had a sim card.
    Depending on your bb model, you may have a sim card in the cdma device. My 3 prior (8830, Tour, 9650) and current 9930 all had/have sim cards. It is generally only used when out of the US/Canada. These were/are Global BB's sold by verizon.

Tap those feet together and maybe you can leave Kansas!
    05-12-12 12:40 PM
    The ones I've had will accept one but uscellular does not put one in them.
    05-12-12 12:54 PM
    I did that yesterday and none found (as posted in the original post- seriously, kinda hard to miss it?)

Anyway. You learn something new every day.
    As it turns out, it wasnt a vendor.xml issue (so im not going mad).
    Unlike older blackberrys, the 9900 needs a SIM card inserted to update the OS. As it was literally fresh out of the box, I hadnt put the SIM in and had no intention of doing so until 7.1 was installed.....

I just put it in, tried again, BOOM, done and working fine

Yah pardon me i did missed it. But glad you got it all working.
    05-12-12 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD