7.1 is available on vodafone uk. I really want to update. Is it really necessary to back up before I do? What could happen if I don't? Could I lose pics, contacts, etc? Thanks in advance!
    07-21-12 02:32 PM
    7.1 is available on vodafone uk. I really want to update. Is it really necessary to back up before I do? What could happen if I don't? Could I lose pics, contacts, etc? Thanks in advance!
    Blackberry desktop manager does a backup of files during the OS update but many people, me included do a a backup in bb desktop manager before clicking update.

It takes less than 10 seconds.

EDIT: Your media will be stored on you SD card.
    07-21-12 03:10 PM
    If you have BB protect then you can use it to restore your contacts. So no it not necessary to do a back up.
    07-21-12 04:07 PM
    It is if you would like to make sure you backup all your settings.
    07-21-12 04:54 PM
    I'm guessing you two last replies were being sarcastic??? I'm sorry but I'm not very clued up, just genuinely needed some helo.
    07-21-12 06:28 PM
    Do you have to back up? No. If the update fails and you have to wipe and reload your OS and you haven't backed up, you will lose your contacts and any goodies you loaded on your bb since you got it. You can get any apps you purchased back from AppWorld but any game progress or data in them will be gone. Anything on your media card should be safe, but I've heard of problems occasionally with these as well. Better safe than sorry. I always perform a backup before I update. Choose not to and any loss of data is on you. Simple as that.
    Branta likes this.
    07-21-12 06:57 PM
    I'm guessing you two last replies were being sarcastic??? I'm sorry but I'm not very clued up, just genuinely needed some helo.
    Yes they are, But all kidding aside it very important to do a back from time to time. Especial when doing a OS update.
    Branta likes this.
    07-21-12 06:59 PM
    Quick refreshment of older details of OS 7.1

BlackBerry 7.1 OS and New App Updates Now Available! �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Kindly share any more new details,if you have!
    07-22-12 10:07 AM
    They were either sarcastic or deliberately offering bad advice, and have been removed. Appropriate moderator action has been taken.

In simple terms if you are going to do something potentially disruptive to your phone then make a backup - so you know it has been done, and you can also test that it is usable if you have any concerns. Maybe the upgrade process will also make a backup, but you can't test it before proceeding, and two safety lines are better than none. If you don't need your extra backup you can delete it later.
    07-22-12 11:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD