I understand but I still asked the question because some people I have seen talk about apps starting to not work on BB 10 like Facebook issues and I was wondering about that because so far everything is good on the OS7.1.
    I've not seen anything "stop working" on my Passport, either. There's a BlackBerry 10 update coming directly, with another planned next year.

I would love to another BBOS 7 update, but I'm not holding my breath!!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    08-16-16 08:26 PM
    LOL I don't know if I'm helping but I'm just trying to be honest. So why wouldn't an unlocked 9900 work where you are? I can understand about BIS but there are ways around that apparently. Well keep me posted of course.
    It's tough without BIS. Can't even BBM -- I use that heavily.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    08-16-16 08:31 PM
    I've not seen anything "stop working" on my Passport, either. There's a BlackBerry 10 update coming directly, with another planned next year.

I would love to another BBOS 7 update, but I'm not holding my breath!!

I thought I heard some people talking about Facebook and some apps not working I don't mean the actual OS but I'll take your word for it ;-)
    08-16-16 09:35 PM
    It's tough without BIS. Can't even BBM -- I use that heavily.

Yeah agreed I have to have BBM because there's one person I talk to with a lot still.
    08-16-16 09:45 PM
    I found this thread during my latest search to feed my nostalgia of the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

What can I say, the hitherto 9900 stowed in a box now has a new lease of life. It works perfectly!

Edit:
    I hit post too soon - sorry.

The keyboard, size and weight are all perfect - I regret moving to the Q10 and then to the Classic (all impulse buys I am sure). I sometimes go into bouts of vitriolic rage when I recall the withdrawal of support to OS 5, 6 and then 7 devices. Why BlackBerry? Why?

Unfortunately the 9900 does not do video calling via BBM. I travel quite a bit - so getting BIS with a new SIM or wifi in a country like Sudan can be challenging. These factors also persuaded me to move to BlackBerry 10.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2576
    09-18-16 10:16 AM
    I found this thread during my latest search to feed my nostalgia of the BlackBerry Bold 9900.

What can I say, the hitherto 9900 stowed in a box now has a new lease of life. It works perfectly!

Unfortunately the 9900 does not do video calling via BBM. I travel quite a bit - so getting BIS with a new SIM or wifi in a country like Sudan can be challenging. These factors also persuaded me to move to BlackBerry 10.

ClassicSQC100-1/10.3.1.2576
    And then I am the opposite, I hate it when someone Facetimes me on the iphone. I am usually in a noisy environment so I have to relocate to hear the person, or too dark and you have to turn a light on, and people often facetime when you are lounging with no shirt, hair messed up and a big piece of pizza hanging off your face when you doze off watching episodes of Miami Vice on DVD.

Nope, voice calling for me, they can wait to see me in person

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-18-16 11:32 AM
    Hi, Ralph. Nice post. Still using BB 9900 here, all the time (it's my only phone). And still happy with it
    09-25-16 01:29 AM
    Hi, Ralph. Nice post. Still using BB 9900 here, all the time (it's my only phone). And still happy with it
    Awesome! It seems like many like the 9900 but eventually they try other devices and don't use them as much. Or people lose interest. For me there is no better experience than what we are using. The size and the Keyboard are my fav aspects of it.

How long have you used it now???

Miguel1970 likes this.
    09-25-16 01:33 AM
    I actually got it kind of late, when it was already considered an 'old' device for the market, almost three years ago. There are some things and apps that I miss, of course (Skype, Pocket, BBM 10, a faster and better browser, a better Twitter, a cbr files reader, more and more online media), and losing Whatsapp at the end of this year is going to be a big problem for me, since that's the main way to communicate with all of my friends and family in Spain (I live in Canada, and none of them have BBM or are even thinking about it). I also wish it had a better video camera (no zoom in my device). But, at the end, nothing really essential is missing. I don't care about games or Instagram or reverse cameras, and the keyboard and the whole messaging system are just, in my opinion, unbeatable. The phone calls quality is superb, and the battery is very decent. I also love the size, the design, the rss feed native app, the little red notification light... Even the weight! You know that feeling, when you spot a Bold in a TV series, or in a movie But, for me, the most important reason to keep it would be more 'ideological', or environmental, if you want. I really think we should resist, when possible, this crazy consumerist pressure to keep buying new devices every two years. As they say, the most ethical phone is the one you already have (and if it's a Bold, you're pretty well covered). Anyway, thank you for all your comments in this thread. It's been a pleasure to read them.
    Last edited by Miguel1970; 09-25-16 at 11:30 AM. Reason: grammar mistake
    09-25-16 02:20 AM
    I actually got it kind of late, when it was already considered an 'old' device for the market, almost three years ago. There are some things and apps that I miss, of course (Skype, Pocket, BBM 10, a faster and better browser, a better Twitter, a cbr files reader, more and more online media), and losing Whatsapp at the end of this year is going to be a big problem for me, since that's the main way to communicate with all of my friends and family in Spain (I live in Canada, and none of them have BBM or are even thinking about it). I also wish it had a better video camera (no zoom in my device). But, at the end, nothing really essential is missing. I don't care about games or Instagram or reverse cameras, and the keyboard and the whole messaging system are just, in my opinion, unbeatable. The phone calls quality is superb, and the battery is very decent. I also love the size, the design, the rss feed native app, the little red notification light... Even the weight! You know that feeling, when you spot a Bold in a TV series, or in a movie But, for me, the most important reason to keep it would be more 'ideological', or environmental, if you want. I really think we should resist, when possible, this crazy consumerist pressure to keep buying new devices every two years. As they say, the most ethical phone is the one you already have (and if it's a Bold, you're pretty well covered). Anyway, thank you for all your comments in this thread. It's been a pleasure to read them.
    So I am curious in the last 3 years, what kinds of repairs, if any, have you had to do on it? I am talking about more the hardware issues like worn out keyboards, blown ear speaker, etc?

Actually there is a very good Instagram app called "Client For Instagram" that I use quite successfully on the 9900. I know, I was shocked too to find out about it!!

I guess if we do lose Whatsapp, they will HAVE TO download BBM, its not that big a file if I recall, or the other option is simple emailing because the LINE app is terrible on the 9900 IMO but it did work. I recall a lot of freezing and it is nothing compared to BBM or whatsapp. Also our BBM in OS7 has NO ADDS that everyone with BB10 is complaining about. It functions as raw and pure as it did in 2011, the way it was meant to perform.

I too have NEVER had static on this device during a call. The ear speaker volume is TWICE as loud as my iphone and this is appreciated if talking on a noisy street or at the Toronto Stock Market (likely what it was designed for) and no I do not work there, just drawing a comparison.

I love the red light also and I really miss it when I use my iphone which actually seems kind of boring in comparison, because of this. I know that sounds like insanity but what does the iphone do other than just sit there? At least the Blackberry, just sitting there untouched, can be functional and still alert us to activity visually if set to silent.

I'm with you, I don't feel any pressure to buy any new device when the experience I have now is satisfying all my needs and is still "fun" to use. The last time I felt the need to have the latest and greatest was 2009 when I just had to have the Moto RAZR2 because it was shinier than my RAZR1 and this was a huge mistake because the RAZR2 had a defective hinge on the flip and started cracking and only lasted about 9 months! I had sold the other by then and regretted it!

09-26-16 12:13 AM
    I just bought one today and I'm over the moon. However, I should've made the purchase... 5 years ago. Better late than never.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-30-16 05:10 PM
    I still play with my 9900 from time to time on my home wifi. But the browser keeps giving me this site is not secure messages to the point the browser is unusable. Any advice?
    09-30-16 05:43 PM
    I still play with my 9900 from time to time on my home wifi. But the browser keeps giving me this site is not secure messages to the point the browser is unusable. Any advice?
    I get that occasionally, it doesn't stop me. I get that message even going to a trusted site like Cnet, so I think it's just making a suggestion for added security.

But of course you have to use your own discretion...
    09-30-16 05:59 PM
    I get that occasionally, it doesn't stop me. I get that message even going to a trusted site like Cnet, so I think it's just making a suggestion for added security.

But of course you have to use your own discretion...
    It doesn't stop me. The problem is the pop up keeps popping up rapid fire. It makes it impossible to surf the web because the pop up won't stop popping up no matter how many times I dismiss it.
    09-30-16 06:01 PM
    It doesn't stop me. The problem is the pop up keeps popping up rapid fire. It makes it impossible to surf the web because the pop up won't stop popping up no matter how many times I dismiss it.
    Hmm after about 2 times mine goe away.

After a reboot do you ever get a white screen just showing your email addy at the top? I always have to clear that page, no biggie, but it might have something to do with the Enterprize folder that runs in the open apps page.

09-30-16 06:39 PM
    Hmm after about 2 times mine goe away.

After a reboot do you ever get a white screen just showing your email addy at the top? I always have to clear that page, no biggie, but it might have something to do with the Enterprize folder that runs in the open apps page.

No I don't get that. I'd love to solve this problem. I'm a Nexus 6p user now. Very happily so. But I do love using my 9900 from time to time.
    09-30-16 06:55 PM
    No I don't get that. I'd love to solve this problem. I'm a Nexus 6p user now. Very happily so. But I do love using my 9900 from time to time.
    So even with the Sim card in it it still does that eh.......

I've noticed only SOME sites have the security pop up but they are pretty few and far between. General Google searches are no problem and about 95% or more of my searches are perfect, no issues.

10-01-16 03:34 PM
    5 Years Ago This Month.....-img_1475354538.542711.jpg5 Years Ago This Month.....-img_1475354551.191593.jpg

Even in direct sunlight and the default screen brightness set to the lowest 10% you can still read the screen. I find 10% to be perfect for all around use.

However sometimes in a dark room I do need the screen Dim app to go lower.
    10-01-16 03:44 PM
    I used a 9900 before my Q10. Now I'm on a Priv. The nostalgia I have for the BBOS days is immense.

My 9900 was great in every aspect except for battery life. I carried around an extra battery just to get through the day.

I'm not an active 9900 user, but I did see someone using one in the Panera nearby. It was probably a work phone however because she was holding an iPhone in her other hand. You can add that to your list if you want
    10-05-16 09:00 PM
    I used a 9900 before my Q10. Now I'm on a Priv. The nostalgia I have for the BBOS days is immense.

My 9900 was great in every aspect except for battery life. I carried around an extra battery just to get through the day.

I'm not an active 9900 user, but I did see someone using one in the Panera nearby. It was probably a work phone however because she was holding an iPhone in her other hand. You can add that to your list if you want
    It's not too late! Still a lot of fun to use and especially type on. Love the size, clicky crisp keyboard that is more than addictive, etc.

I think it has been about 2 years since I saw another person using a 9900. I still see them for sale at an electronics repair shop where I got mine.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    10-06-16 02:34 AM
70 123