......the most beautifully designed, functional and productive Blackberry was introduced. Can you guess which model I am referring to?

In August 2011 the 9900 was made available at my local cellular outlet. I was dead set on getting a white 9780 that month and never gave the 9900 too much thought BUT I knew it was more powerful, thinner and had a bigger screen and keyboard. I got the 9780 in white and 3 months later started regretting this as I had to get my camera module replaced and did it locally and basically voided my warrenty. I was ok with this because I didn't want it sent away under warrenty and it would have been a month wait....no way! Within the next year the camera module failed 2 more times and a new one installed each time.

In hindsight I realize I made a mistake and always regretted NOT paying a little more to get the 9900 on the then 3 year long contracts that were unbearable if you expected to have a device last that long!! I realize now that I would probably STILL be using the same 9900 if I had got one in August 2011.

I now have my dream Blackberry and I figured that this anniversary deserved it's own thread.

Thanks to all the cool peeps I've met in here and I would also like to turn this thread into an "Active 9900/9930 User's List" if I could....

So by all means if you are still with us in using this iconic Blackberry please mention it below. Even if you still own one and it sits in your sock drawer lols, I'd like to know about it. I also swap sim cards between this and my iphone but after using the physical keyboard for a few days I just don't want to put it down and swap back to iphone even with the temptation of hundreds of thousands of apps and friends demanding I venture out and play Pokemon Go with them.

ps, they still think I am "crazy"

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Sav Sav likes this.
    08-01-16 07:43 PM
    Ralph,

Excellent post as always. It's amazing to think that it's been 5 years since the 9900 was launched.

I remember at the time the Bold 9900 was showcased in May at a conference in Florida, it looked amazing.

One of the biggest issues that BlackBerry made with the marketing and selling of the 9900 was their own BS.

BB7 was late for a variety of reasons and should have been launched quicker but I know lots and lots of companies and people who didn't upgrade to the 9900 since BlackBerry 10 was suppose to be 6-8 months away (early 2012 was confirmed many times)

Lots of people waited and waited and BlackBerry 10 was delayed again and again. At that stage people got fed up with the company and moved on.

The 9900 was an excellent device and one of the best mobile phones ever produced. It sold well but It could have sold better if users knew that BB7 was going to be the good stop gap till BB10 launched. It was an excellent device for users who wanted messaging, keyboard, one handed use etc. The browser was strong at the time but in my opinion speed started to become an issue once some more powerful LTE devices hit the market. If BlackBerry had done a better job of loading up millions and millions of users to BB7 and the 9900 specifically, the company would have been in better shape. The difference in terms of speed, performance and usability between BB6 and BB7 is huge. The upgrade would have allowed many users to experience a much better BlackBerry experience while the BlackBerry 10 team worked to build the new OS.

BlackBerry 10 was not ready to launch when it did but part of that was a need to rush and get the new phone to market and the income and balance sheets weren't in good shape.

Looking back it's been a wild ride! I use a 9900 and Classic combo and I am loving it!

Posted via CB10
    Sav Sav likes this.
    08-01-16 07:57 PM
    Ralph,

Excellent post as always. It's amazing to think that it's been 5 years since the 9900 was launched.

I remember at the time the Bold 9900 was showcased in May at a conference in Florida, it looked amazing.

One of the biggest issues that BlackBerry made with the marketing and selling of the 9900 was their own BS.

BB7 was late for a variety of reasons and should have been launched quicker but I know lots and lots of companies and people who didn't upgrade to the 9900 since BlackBerry 10 was suppose to be 6-8 months away (early 2012 was confirmed many times)

Lots of people waited and waited and BlackBerry 10 was delayed again and again. At that stage people got fed up with the company and moved on.

The 9900 was an excellent device and one of the best mobile phones ever produced. It sold well but It could have sold better if users knew that BB7 was going to be the good stop gap till BB10 launched. It was an excellent device for users who wanted messaging, keyboard, one handed use etc. The browser was strong at the time but in my opinion speed started to become an issue once some more powerful LTE devices hit the market. If BlackBerry had done a better job of loading up millions and millions of users to BB7 and the 9900 specifically, the company would have been in better shape. The difference in terms of speed, performance and usability between BB6 and BB7 is huge. The upgrade would have allowed many users to experience a much better BlackBerry experience while the BlackBerry 10 team worked to build the new OS.

BlackBerry 10 was not ready to launch when it did but part of that was a need to rush and get the new phone to market and the income and balance sheets weren't in good shape.

Looking back it's been a wild ride! I use a 9900 and Classic combo and I am loving it!

Posted via CB10
    You hit the nail on the head regarding the performance differences between 0S6 and 0S7. Even though physically the menus saw little difference, in fact, I think there were only 4 differences that I heard about and Hotspot was one of them.

I'm sure BB10 is great but I am not one of those that has to always have the newest and freshest device or OS offered. 0S7 was the result of probably 10 years of development and cumulative learning and I think it was basically perfected by the time the 9900 was a year old.

I am ok with this.

Considering that all the apps still work great on 0S7 I am definately ok with it. I realize we have to see what happens in January with apps like Whatsapp but I am still appreciative that for Facebook, it is a simple matter to re-install the older version and we are rocking!

I too think I might be upset if I had a BB10 device and it's support was dumped but we have to consider that this is also what happened to 0S7 as well. In a few months they will be in the SAME boat as us, and the differences will not matter anymore.

I think that because 0S7 users have by now (and long ago) accepted that there is no more support, we have moved on, continue to use the older Legacy devices, and we do not care as much as the newer BB10 users. But they have a right to complain as it is still fresh as to what happened imo. But we continue to appreciate and use these devices while having fun along the way.

Sav Sav likes this.
    08-01-16 08:13 PM
    ok so that is 2 people so far, I'm keeping track

08-01-16 08:18 PM
    Count me as a 9900 enthusiast! I use a Passport SE as my "main phone," but I find plenty of opportunities to use the Bold -- nearly every day. I use it on bike rides because it fits in my seat pouch. I use it at the gym, because it's so light in my gym shorts. I often use it when I wear a suit, too -- just like with the gym shorts, it slips right in the dress pants pocket and you hardly know it's there.

The Bold gives me excellent communication functionality, a unique and perfect (for many purposes) form factor, a replaceable battery, and a beautiful, FUN OS!

I also DO have another one "in a sock drawer."

Sav Sav likes this.
    08-01-16 08:30 PM
    Hey David! Ya I think it's fun just based on the simplicity of it. It allows us to focus on the epic KB and typing abilities with speed and accuracy being second to none.

That's 3

08-01-16 08:33 PM
    Just a thought but....

everyone is saying they will not buy another BB10 because "it is going away" but OS7 went away years ago and people still buy them new or used off ebay/Amazon.....as we have proven.

I'm wondering if BB10 will have a popular "afterlife" as 0S7 has.....

...... I won't hold my breath.

08-02-16 05:05 PM
    I'm wondering if BB10 will have a popular "afterlife" as 0S7 has.....

...... I won't hold my breath.
    Probably not; I suspect far more 9900/9930s were made than BlackBerry 10s -- but I'm just speculating.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    08-02-16 10:24 PM
    Still own a 9900. It's locked down so I can only do calls, SMS, and emails with it. It's a nifty work device, though.

*A3-A20
    08-02-16 10:50 PM
    Probably not; I suspect far more 9900/9930s were made than BlackBerry 10s -- but I'm just speculating.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    Good point. Are there any new Classics or Q10's to be had on ebay like there are 9900's? I guess that would be the way to find out.

08-03-16 02:15 AM
    Still own a 9900. It's locked down so I can only do calls, SMS, and emails with it. It's a nifty work device, though.

*A3-A20
    It's too bad you can't use it for more because it is still a capable device for the net, apps, etc.

That makes 4

08-03-16 02:17 AM
    5 Years Ago This Month.....Where are you............
    08-03-16 06:49 AM
    Moved to a Passport and sold my 9900 last week, but I kept a broken one just to gaze upon.
    Sav Sav likes this.
    08-03-16 10:14 AM
    Moved to a Passport and sold my 9900 last week, but I kept a broken one just to gaze upon.
    Gonna miss it

08-03-16 05:43 PM
    I remember it was announced, and then the phone was clearly promoted in Jennifer Lopez music video Papi, it wasn't until October/November that it was available in Ireland but i got it within a week of its availability here, it was the best decision ever i loved it so much and in a way wish i had kept it instead of going to the Q10 because i'm back using this 9900 since May and couldn't be happier using it. 5 years and this phone is still going strong.

08-06-16 09:49 AM
    I remember it was announced, and then the phone was clearly promoted in Jennifer Lopez music video Papi, it wasn't until October/November that it was available in Ireland but i got it within a week of its availability here, it was the best decision ever i loved it so much and in a way wish i had kept it instead of going to the Q10 because i'm back using this 9900 since May and couldn't be happier using it. 5 years and this phone is still going strong.

Is there any link for that Jay-Lo vid?

08-06-16 08:15 PM
    After getting a new BB9700, then 9780, I purchased a BB9900 and the love affair for the 9900 has not gone away. Once in a while I switch to one of my other BB10 devices (Z10,Z30,BB Classic, Passport SE) but I always come back to my BB9900. I have a total of 5 bb9900's. Four are backups lol. I have the TMO versions which only have bands 1,4,8 and three ATT models that have bands 1,2,5,6. I am on TMO and the ATT bands work perfectly on TMO. Of course I also carry around a Nexus 5X (with Google FI) for the "Big" screen should I decide to do some web stuff when I am up and about. But, I always carry my BB9900 with me. I don't do Facebook, Whatsapp nor games so my 9900 is elperfecto for communications. It is my alarm clock in the am, wakes me up, gets my coffee ready, butters up my toast too. lol
    I also have a BB9810 and switch to it once in a while but the keyboard (just like the Priv that I have) is tiny just like needle nose the bug ...uker. 9900 has the best keyboard spacing for my needs. I have been thinking of joining the 9900anonymous. lol.
    08-07-16 07:50 AM
    Had a HUGE response typed to the previous poster here and I got the dreaded "Uncaught Exception" message and lost it all......

Anyone else experience that??

08-07-16 03:28 PM
    Had a HUGE response typed to the previous poster here and I got the dreaded "Uncaught Exception" message and lost it all......

Anyone else experience that??

Yes...about 5 years ago.....;-)

Couldn't resist.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-07-16 03:46 PM
    Yes...about 5 years ago.....;-)

Couldn't resist.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Haha ouch
    08-07-16 04:11 PM
    I can't get enough of this new keyboard. I sure don't mind typing a reply twice if I run into a glitch, so maybe I will

08-07-16 05:33 PM
    After getting a new BB9700, then 9780, I purchased a BB9900 and the love affair for the 9900 has not gone away. Once in a while I switch to one of my other BB10 devices (Z10,Z30,BB Classic, Passport SE) but I always come back to my BB9900. I have a total of 5 bb9900's. Four are backups lol. I have the TMO versions which only have bands 1,4,8 and three ATT models that have bands 1,2,5,6. I am on TMO and the ATT bands work perfectly on TMO. Of course I also carry around a Nexus 5X (with Google FI) for the "Big" screen should I decide to do some web stuff when I am up and about. But, I always carry my BB9900 with me. I don't do Facebook, Whatsapp nor games so my 9900 is elperfecto for communications. It is my alarm clock in the am, wakes me up, gets my coffee ready, butters up my toast too. lol
    I also have a BB9810 and switch to it once in a while but the keyboard (just like the Priv that I have) is tiny just like needle nose the bug ...uker. 9900 has the best keyboard spacing for my needs. I have been thinking of joining the 9900anonymous. lol.
    And I thought I was a true Legacy 9900 fan You certainly won't have to worry about finding parts in the future and I'm pretty sure Kim Khardashian would like to get your number!

The alarm is just as good as my iphone alarm and this is all I use now also for waking up.

I have never had to worry about "bands" for which device I have and I guess I should consider myself "lucky" that in Canada everything seems to still be included regardings things like BIS, etc....

I'm just curious, why would you need a Priv if you aren't really into apps like Facebook or Twitter? It sounds like you COULD make your 9900 your main device as I have and I am heavy into IG, Twitter, FB, Whatsapp, BBM, emails, Texting, etc and I have no issue whatsoever with all of these. Yes there is an Instagram uploader app for the 9900 and it had some issues in the past few months but now thanks to updates works great!

What do you think of the Priv Keyboard? I have read that because of the thinness of the device, the Priv keys are "shallow" and do not give as much "feedback" as a 9900?

08-07-16 05:40 PM
    I still have my 9900, however I don't use it. But I have it for my personal "collection", and it works 100%. I'm planning to keep it forever, maybe show it to my kids when I have kids lol, I'm too young now. My Passport SE is a keeper too and will be added to the collection. I don't really have a collection of phones tbh, but I have so many memories with the 9000, 9700 and 9900 that I kept them, so it's a very small collection. Miss the old days. Can't believe I was only 13 when I got my first Blackberry, the 8700g. I've had every Blackberry since then. I do consider myself as a truly Blackberry fan, however I just went into a direction I never thought I would, which is Android. Obviously the Priv. This is my very first time in so many years that I will use a phone that is not entirely Blackberry. It should arrive this week
    08-07-16 05:56 PM
    I still have my 9900, however I don't use it. But I have it for my personal "collection", and it works 100%. I'm planning to keep it forever, maybe show it to my kids when I have kids lol, I'm too young now. My Passport SE is a keeper too and will be added to the collection. I don't really have a collection of phones tbh, but I have so many memories with the 9000, 9700 and 9900 that I kept them, so it's a very small collection. Miss the old days. Can't believe I was only 13 when I got my first Blackberry, the 8700g. I've had every Blackberry since then. I do consider myself as a truly Blackberry fan, however I just went into a direction I never thought I would, which is Android. Obviously the Priv. This is my very first time in so many years that I will use a phone that is not entirely Blackberry. It should arrive this week
    I think there are a lot more people out there like yourself who may not come foreward and admit they still use a 9900 or at least have a fondness for this device. But I noticed that as soon as a few of us start talking about them, more make themselves known. It's not a bad group to be in actually

klooptheloop likes this.
    08-08-16 01:45 AM
    And I thought I was a true Legacy 9900 fan You certainly won't have to worry about finding parts in the future and I'm pretty sure Kim Khardashian would like to get your number!

The alarm is just as good as my iphone alarm and this is all I use now also for waking up.

I have never had to worry about "bands" for which device I have and I guess I should consider myself "lucky" that in Canada everything seems to still be included regardings things like BIS, etc....

I'm just curious, why would you need a Priv if you aren't really into apps like Facebook or Twitter? It sounds like you COULD make your 9900 your main device as I have and I am heavy into IG, Twitter, FB, Whatsapp, BBM, emails, Texting, etc and I have no issue whatsoever with all of these. Yes there is an Instagram uploader app for the 9900 and it had some issues in the past few months but now thanks to updates works great!

What do you think of the Priv Keyboard? I have read that because of the thinness of the device, the Priv keys are "shallow" and do not give as much "feedback" as a 9900?

I bought the Priv way back because it looked like maybe a good device (I am a gadget freek). I use it when I want to cruise the web or read my Kindle books which is much easier than my 9900. Also, the Priv has LTE including band 12. My 9900 is only 3g/4g which is really today in short supply here in Massachusettes, USA so the Priv is a good backup for where I cannot get a 3g/4g signal. I could also (but have not yet tried) use my Priv hotspot for my 9900.
    BIS is still working on my 9900 here in the USA. The Priv is really just a toy unlike my 9900.
    Shshsh.. Don't tell Kim K of my 9900's cause she can't have any of them. haha
    I dislike the keyboard of the priv. It is just as small as the BB9810- toooo narrow and cramped. It does have a nice click but not as nice as my 9900. I seldom use the keyboard on the Priv. Actually the Priv was a dumb move on my part. I just think of all the 9900's I could have bought in place of the original Priv price that I paid when it was first introduced. haha
    Ya, my 9900 shines not only in phone calls but text and emails also.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    08-08-16 04:00 AM
70 123