Iam aware of that, that people have diffrent opinions... i got no problem with that.I also wasnt asking for a opinion here ... i was asking for facts why the GS II is supposedly better then the 9900.And it was actually a serious question since i dont own a GS II myself.

I know the GS II got a dual core CPU ... but does it make the phone faster?
    the 9900 is pretty fast, but now and then you get a lag spike and the clock animation.The few times i used my friends GS II and i got lag spikes too, and the same goes for the IP 4... just because they dont have a clock animation dosent mean they dont lag.
    Then the GSII got a 8 MP camara, but we all know megapixels dosent mean alot when it comes to cell phone camaras... did someone compared the quality or even got some examples?
    Build quality wise the GS II is pretty thin, but is still a piece of plastic ... and actually i wish the 9900 was not as thin as is it to get a better grip ... but thats just my opinion.

In the end we know you cant really compare those two phones since they dont compete on the same field.but i still would like to know why people come into this forum and try to convince me their phone "blows the 99x0 out of the water" ( i dont mean you in particular greggebhardt ... i just called your name because i was sure you visit the thread you are posting in and not just come here for trolling).

I just know after i dumped my IP4 i didnt go to their forums and told them i left for blackberry ... and also i dont get in fight with my friends about which phone i use... i just dont get some people who are posting on this forum.But if you come here atleast explain what you are talking about.
    09-13-11 02:52 PM
    I am a samsung galaxy s2 user which is a great phone which is Imo better then iphone4 which I had b4 this I am going to be buying a 9900 outright.. I have a Ipad to use my apps and what not.. But the blackberry for me keeps me in contact with all my friends with BBM and the keyboard is a joy to use

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-11 04:23 PM
    I have been a long time Blackberry user, going back to the days of the 957, but have also had periods of using other devices on virtually all platforms (Palm, Windows mobile, iOS). What I have consistently found is that for my purposes the Blackberry always draws me back because it simply does what I need and does it right.

I recently had a chance to use a Galaxy S2 for a few days because I had to send my 9900 back for warranty replacement due to a faulty screen (another story altogether). An absolutely amazing device. Screen is gorgeous, it is fast, camera is great, media options endless, tons of apps., etc., etc. The wow factor is there in spades.

BUT, here's the rub. Although the GS2 is truly a wonderful device, there were simply too many compromises for me as a business user. These may not be an issue for everyone, but using the GS2 for the few days I came up with a list of needs that it could not meet (and that the trusty, boring old blackberry has done for years):

1. Notifications -- this has been said numerous times, but the blinking LED for notifications makes daily use so much more efficient. With a quick glance I can know at any time, from across the room or wherever, whether I have a message or not. With BeBuzz, I can colour coordinate my messages to show a different colour of light (or combination of colours) to allow me to know not only what app the notification came from (examples, BBM, email, text, Facebook, calendar, tasks, missed call) but in the case of emails, texts and phone calls, who the notification is from.

2. Forwarding emails with attachments -- this may not be an issue for some, but as a business user, I often receive several emails a day with attachments that I need to forward on to others in the office to deal with. Unlike the blackberry which executes a forward at the server, the android OS needs to download the attachment before forwarding. In general using the Android system synced to my Exchange server works fairly well for ordinary push email, but try forwarding an email with a 10mb attachment. Worse yet, try forwarding an attachment that the Android OS can't open. I think there are workarounds for this by using a third party app like, for example, Touchdown, but that is a 20 app and brings with it a number of other issues that in my opinion detract from the overall usability of the android OS. This one is a deal killer for me.

3. Battery life -- everyone talks about the poor battery life of the 9900 but from my experience, the GS2 was horrible. I couldn't even make it through a morning of reasonably heavy use, let alone a day. It could have been something wrong with my device but the phone ran super hot (upwards of 48-50 degrees celsius at times) and used battery faster than anything I had ever used in the past.

4. Keyboard -- this one is obviously a user-preference, but the physical keyboard is just so much easier to type consistently and quickly than any on-screen keyboard and the 9900 keyboard is the best I have ever used. I have heard someone say that it is like typing on clouds and I agree with that assessment. I never shy away from typing long emails on my blackberry, but when using an onscreen keyboard, I find myself cutting my communications to the absolute minimum.

5. Shortcuts -- with the blackberry keyboard, shortcuts and speed-dials are so much easier and faster to use.

6. Filing emails and folder management -- I have a folder structure with several dozen folders. Filing emails with a blackberry is painless and quick. Just hit alt-i and if the email belongs to a folder that has been populated with other emails, the blackberry will generally automatically go that folder. If it is a new folder or the auto-file function doesn't have enough history or information to file, then just start typing the name of the folder and the device will bring the proper folder up. On the android, you have to scroll through the entire folder structure, expanding sub folders on the way if necessary in order to file an email. I couldn't figure out how to select multiple emails either, which made this function even more painful.

7. BBM -- much has been said about this, but if you like me have a lot of contacts who use bbm, including groups, you will miss BBM if you go to another platform, I guarantee it.

8. Autotext -- the bb system of auto text entries is brilliant and saves me a ton of time as I type messages. I don't think everyone uses this feature but if you do, it can save a lot of time.

I do realize that some of these are personal to me and probably there are apps or built-in features that the android OS has that negate some of the issues I saw, but for me, as boring as it may be, the BB OS has what I need.
    09-13-11 05:04 PM
    One additional thing that is never mentioned is data usage. Unless you are on an unlimited plan (and now after a certain amount you will be throttled down soon) Blackberry's use less data because it is compressed at the server and sent then decompressed on the phone. Depending on what you are doing Blackberry's are 2x's more efficient (or more) than Android or iOS.
    09-13-11 11:27 PM
    It's different animal, can't compare sgs2 to bold. Compare sgs2 to ip4 or 9850.
    Bold is good for communicating..email, chat. Not much else..not for reading, that's for sure. So it is not and will never be a perfect phone for me since screen is just too small. But sure it is best for communicating.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    09-13-11 11:31 PM
    I have been a long time Blackberry user, going back to the days of the 957, but have also had periods of using other devices on virtually all platforms (Palm, Windows mobile, iOS). What I have consistently found is that for my purposes the Blackberry always draws me back because it simply does what I need and does it right.

I recently had a chance to use a Galaxy S2 for a few days because I had to send my 9900 back for warranty replacement due to a faulty screen (another story altogether). An absolutely amazing device. Screen is gorgeous, it is fast, camera is great, media options endless, tons of apps., etc., etc. The wow factor is there in spades.

BUT, here's the rub. Although the GS2 is truly a wonderful device, there were simply too many compromises for me as a business user. These may not be an issue for everyone, but using the GS2 for the few days I came up with a list of needs that it could not meet (and that the trusty, boring old blackberry has done for years):

1. Notifications -- this has been said numerous times, but the blinking LED for notifications makes daily use so much more efficient. With a quick glance I can know at any time, from across the room or wherever, whether I have a message or not. With BeBuzz, I can colour coordinate my messages to show a different colour of light (or combination of colours) to allow me to know not only what app the notification came from (examples, BBM, email, text, Facebook, calendar, tasks, missed call) but in the case of emails, texts and phone calls, who the notification is from.

2. Forwarding emails with attachments -- this may not be an issue for some, but as a business user, I often receive several emails a day with attachments that I need to forward on to others in the office to deal with. Unlike the blackberry which executes a forward at the server, the android OS needs to download the attachment before forwarding. In general using the Android system synced to my Exchange server works fairly well for ordinary push email, but try forwarding an email with a 10mb attachment. Worse yet, try forwarding an attachment that the Android OS can't open. I think there are workarounds for this by using a third party app like, for example, Touchdown, but that is a 20 app and brings with it a number of other issues that in my opinion detract from the overall usability of the android OS. This one is a deal killer for me.

3. Battery life -- everyone talks about the poor battery life of the 9900 but from my experience, the GS2 was horrible. I couldn't even make it through a morning of reasonably heavy use, let alone a day. It could have been something wrong with my device but the phone ran super hot (upwards of 48-50 degrees celsius at times) and used battery faster than anything I had ever used in the past.

4. Keyboard -- this one is obviously a user-preference, but the physical keyboard is just so much easier to type consistently and quickly than any on-screen keyboard and the 9900 keyboard is the best I have ever used. I have heard someone say that it is like typing on clouds and I agree with that assessment. I never shy away from typing long emails on my blackberry, but when using an onscreen keyboard, I find myself cutting my communications to the absolute minimum.

5. Shortcuts -- with the blackberry keyboard, shortcuts and speed-dials are so much easier and faster to use.

6. Filing emails and folder management -- I have a folder structure with several dozen folders. Filing emails with a blackberry is painless and quick. Just hit alt-i and if the email belongs to a folder that has been populated with other emails, the blackberry will generally automatically go that folder. If it is a new folder or the auto-file function doesn't have enough history or information to file, then just start typing the name of the folder and the device will bring the proper folder up. On the android, you have to scroll through the entire folder structure, expanding sub folders on the way if necessary in order to file an email. I couldn't figure out how to select multiple emails either, which made this function even more painful.

7. BBM -- much has been said about this, but if you like me have a lot of contacts who use bbm, including groups, you will miss BBM if you go to another platform, I guarantee it.

8. Autotext -- the bb system of auto text entries is brilliant and saves me a ton of time as I type messages. I don't think everyone uses this feature but if you do, it can save a lot of time.

I do realize that some of these are personal to me and probably there are apps or built-in features that the android OS has that negate some of the issues I saw, but for me, as boring as it may be, the BB OS has what I need.

I couldn't agree more. Granted I only have the S1 but for basic work I just don't understand 'why' android. The media stuff is amazing however and it works as a great pacifier for my children in stores and waiting rooms.
    09-14-11 12:12 AM
    edit: i'm sry, at the moment i am prefering the galaxy s2 over the 9900. but maybe they're are a few things that could easily turn the tables, i want you to enlighten me! long story short, i really (really really really) want to stay with BB but every bit of my common sense is telling me to get the galaxy s2. it really is an amazing phone that is setting the standard on mobile devices
    I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you are a relative newbie to Android and clue you into something. Samsung makes top notch hardware inside the phone but their phones are plasticly and feel cheap in the hand in most cases. Also Samsung takes FOREVER to update the software on their phones which means that while all of the other high end phones from Motorola, HTC, and LG will get Android 4.0 this winter, you will be waiting until next summer to get your taste of Ice Cram Sandwitch (Android 4.0). All those of us who bought Fascinates and Captivates last fall were fooled by Samsing who promised timely updates, DON'T fall for it!
    09-14-11 12:32 AM

Been using BB since the 8800 all the way up to the torch when I switched to the desire HD to try out android. Since then I have had 3 more android phones till the sgs2, I am now back on the 9900.
    Won't go through the advantages of the 9900 again as above answer is pretty much it, one thing you will find when you use an androi phone is that after all the downloading of apps, angry birds, rooting the phone over locking you will eventually get to a stage where you are left with the apps you really Ned and use frequently. For me, i found I was left with my email, go sms, and Trillian so as a communication device my bb with bes and bbm was vastly superior. Browsing, games, multimedia ... I use an android tablet.

Bottom line, depends on what you are looking for in a phone but bb is a comms device sgs2 is a multimedia device. Also typing this on an android tab and the amout of typing/spelling mistakes I'm making is a disgrace lol, no such probs on the 9900 :-)
    09-14-11 05:12 AM
    The GS2 looks impressive.. but to me its too close to a clone of the Infuse on AT&T.
    09-14-11 06:20 AM
    the samsung galaxy s2 runs on android, and most apps on android drains battery quick. Even with every setting turned off like 3g wifi bluietooth screen brightness etc.I dont know if its the app or android os. But if you want a good battery i would stick with battery. I dont know if u have had a full touchscreen before. But if u have big hands i would recommend playing with a full touchscreen device of a friend or familiy for a couple of days and watch if u get cramps like me. always scrolling etc. I quess its different per person.

Samsung galaxy S has no led notification, which is a big difference for me also.
    voice quality on bb is better also. So if you are looking for the basic phones functions, battery/voice quality/notifications/form factor , i would not buy android or even an iphone. they both suck when it comes to the basic phone stuff.

and i am not a bb fan, i own a iphone. but i will convert to bb soon
    Nonsense ... you clearly haven't tried an Android phone released in the last year. The Galaxy S2 can easily t through a whole day without recharging, battery wise there's no difference between the Galaxy and a new Bold.

Likewise with the call quality. Any difference is in your head. Protip: They both use similar ICs for voice transcoding. Go on Wikipedia, and read up on what the big difference between analogue and digital circuitry is...
    09-14-11 06:53 AM
    I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you are a relative newbie to Android and clue you into something. Samsung makes top notch hardware inside the phone but their phones are plasticly and feel cheap in the hand in most cases. Also Samsung takes FOREVER to update the software on their phones which means that while all of the other high end phones from Motorola, HTC, and LG will get Android 4.0 this winter, you will be waiting until next summer to get your taste of Ice Cram Sandwitch (Android 4.0). All those of us who bought Fascinates and Captivates last fall were fooled by Samsing who promised timely updates, DON'T fall for it!
    As an owner of a Captivate, I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. All you said above is why I will most definitely neither go for nor recommend the SGS2, even though it's much improved over the first generation.

All those things you mentioned should be ironed out for the Prime though. That's why I'm suggesting people wait the extra month for it. It's got a metal case, it's already got ICS, and it's a Nexus which historically means Samsung doesn't balk at the updates.... My biggest problem with Samsung was the "never here" updates and the plasticky feel. Both those issues will apparently be dealt with on the Prime in spades.
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
    09-14-11 08:01 AM
    no galaxy talk
    09-14-11 08:13 AM
    How many accounts does the OP have??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 09:31 AM
    Yo Daddies Galaxy S Vibrant is not a Galaxy S2.
    Haha true, and I realize that, but the thing still had a 1ghz cpu, so comparable specs to my 9900 now. My point was about the priorities of mobile OS designers, which in my opinion, RIM has nailed.
    09-14-11 10:14 AM
    Android will continue to evolve. The Moto acquisition strengthens their position.
    Google's purchased them to keep Microsoft from getting it first and having access to the patents Motorola Mobility had, not to strengthen their Android position against suits. In the context of this discussion though we're talking only about SAMSUNG/Google/Android. In that context, Android/Samsung are completely pooched.

Let common sense be your guide as you judge for yourself - is this interface/design completely "inspired by" the iPhone or is it something a person might have come up with on their own WITHOUT having seen an iOS device? The answer is so obviously no.

09-14-11 11:21 AM
    ^^^ Everyone knows TouchWhiz is an iOS-based skin. At least, that's what I have always thought.

But, I still think you're reaching a bit. Samsung, at worst, won't be prevented from making Android devices; they'll just be popped for devices with that UI. And this all depends on the lawsuit, and if Apple prevails.

Someone with a better grasp on patent law will correct me if I am wrong, but this really impacts Samsung very little with regards to future Android devices. Get rid of TouchWhiz: problem solved.

Samsung will continue to use the OS that makes it the most money. Android provides that.
    09-14-11 12:06 PM
    Someone with a better grasp on patent law will correct me if I am wrong, but this really impacts Samsung very little with regards to future Android devices. Get rid of TouchWhiz: problem solved.

Samsung will continue to use the OS that makes it the most money. Android provides that.
    They will not get rid of touchwiz, no matter what. There is literally nothing separating manufacturers of android devices other than skins, which is why they all do it. They will fight or pay out (or both) rather than getting rid of any customized skins.

Also there is no other mainstream OS for them to manufacture period, that's why they manufacture android (WP7 is the one exception, but the marketshare isn't really there, MS just throws a ton of money at it until that eventually changes). The others are either closed off and can't be manufactured by 3rd parties.
    09-14-11 01:16 PM
    I have one good reason not to buy it...it's not a BlackBerry. Crackberry.com - where BlackBerry Users and Abusers unite!!
    09-14-11 01:37 PM
    They will not get rid of touchwiz, no matter what. There is literally nothing separating manufacturers of android devices other than skins, which is why they all do it. They will fight or pay out (or both) rather than getting rid of any customized skins.

Also there is no other mainstream OS for them to manufacture period, that's why they manufacture android (WP7 is the one exception, but the marketshare isn't really there, MS just throws a ton of money at it until that eventually changes). The others are either closed off and can't be manufactured by 3rd parties.
    Perhaps this is why Samsung hired the creator of CyanogenMod to work for them.. to bring a different "flavor" to their UI just to be done with all the Apple crying bs ..
    09-14-11 02:20 PM
    Perhaps this is why Samsung hired the creator of CyanogenMod to work for them.. to bring a different "flavor" to their UI just to be done with all the Apple crying bs ..
    Yep.

MIUI better watch out. I sense an Apple lawsuit coming.
    09-14-11 02:23 PM
    1) I can't afford it as I'm already am in a contract
    2) It doesn't have BBM which the wife uses
    3) It'll have worse battery life than your BB
    4) It might use quite a bit more data than you are capped for
    5) My carrier doesn't have it yet.

But by FAR, reason 1) is the best reason NOT to get this phone

Edit: Not hating on the phone, as it looks good, but just listing some reasons why I wouldn't buy it
    Last edited by chiefbroski; 09-14-11 at 03:43 PM.
    09-14-11 03:37 PM
    Everyone needs to calm down and just let the OP make a decision with some facts. Leave all the emotions out. I am very unbiased with my phones and switch freely (buy from ebay or craigslist off contract). I have had quite a bit of experience with Android and BB but never iOS. It just never interested me and that's me.

When I was still in college (and before 9930/9900) I easily preferred Android. It let me do a lot more and I was always near a charger. And at that time when I switched, I had used a Curve, Storm I, Tour, and 2 Bolds (went back to a BB after first Android for a few months). At this time I was near my family and friends and didn't really call that much and what I wanted out of my phone was mostly multimedia.

Fast forward a few years and across the country, I make a lot of calls and message a lot now. The Bold Touch is much improved in the sense that I rarely ever have to deal with the spinning clock anymore and the touch screen is a welcomed feature for me since I have been using mainly touchscreen phones for the last 1.5 years. The reason for mt switch was mainly for call quality, messaging, battery, and notifications.

Call Quality: There are some Android phones out there with great call quality so this is model specific. The Thunderbolt is a great example of this. This was the only Android phone that I was amazed with the call quality. The X was okay and everything else I have tried was okay but since I talk on the phone several hours a day now, it is no longer acceptable to just have an okay call quality phone.

Messaging: I can type perfectly fine and fast on a touchscreen but always faster and more correct on a real keyboard.

Battery: On my last phone, Droid Charge, I had it set to 3g only and would only make it through the day with light usage on the 2600mAH extended battery. Now on the 9930, I can make it through the day on heavy usage on I think it is 1230mAH? I think it also has to do with signal strength. On the 9930 I get around low -80dBm and was mid -90 with the Droid Charge.

Notification: The Droid Charge has no LED light. I have missed many notifications (calls/text/emails) this way.

Just see what you need then decide on that. Don't decide on other peoples' opinions.
    09-14-11 05:08 PM
    Bottom line, depends on what you are looking for in a phone but bb is a comms device sgs2 is a multimedia device. Also typing this on an android tab and the amout of typing/spelling mistakes I'm making is a disgrace lol, no such probs on the 9900 :-)
    Replace SGS2 with your choice of Android device and this pretty much nails it.

An Android device is a media device/app machine which also works (to varying levels of success) as a communication tool.

A Blackberry is a communication tool that also runs media and apps (with mixed results).
    09-14-11 09:40 PM
    Nonsense ... you clearly haven't tried an Android phone released in the last year. The Galaxy S2 can easily t through a whole day without recharging, battery wise there's no difference between the Galaxy and a new Bold.
    Um let's see: Droid 2, Droid Pro, Droid 3, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Bionic. I own them all and I agree with him.

I get great battery life off of all of these except the Thunderbolt.
    09-14-11 09:44 PM
    i buy a 9900 yesterday (my wife buy one too) to replace our torches. still got my sgs2 (which just retired). 9900 wins hands down in communication department, but as for reading news,camera, video, sgs2 wins outright.
    there are very few news apps in BBWorld for OS7 - bloomberg, reuters, independent, etc.
    independent got me hung up few times and handset gets hot. i guess most OS7 are still poorly written hence battery hog and poor performance (just look at tapatalk, ugly!).
    things will get better as 9900 sells well here in indonesia, even before launch. i got mine for US$750, retail.
    09-14-11 09:45 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD