Siri has already been an app to download for a while and I see it as just another "voice search"
    How did i miss this app?? Have you watched the video with the Demo of Siri? Please give me the name of the app that can schedule a meeting for me, recognize and fix a schedule conflict, add attendees, read and respond to my text/emails, schedule a reminder to call my hubby when I leave work, recognize who my hubby is and when I've actually left the office ALL without me touching my phone. If I've missed that app all this time then I have been severely slacking!

For safety reasons alone this is worth the upgrade considering my hectic business and personal schedule, the amount of time I'm in a car unable to type and the fact that most of what I so centers around the email, calendar, and reminders on my phone.

I'm actually serious, I need the name if that app ASAP!
    moiselles likes this.
    10-05-11 11:01 AM
    However, unlike BlackBerry, when an new Apple iOS comes out, you can update your iPhone without needing a new iPhone.

The new OS will work on my ex's iPhone 3Gs. It will also work on my sister's iPhone4.

OS 6, OS7 and QNX won't work on my Storm2 nor will QNX work on anyone's 9930/9810/9850-60. You'll need a new phone.
    do you even remember the IP 1,2 and 3? all got left behind as the other phones got all the new features. new tech out dates old tech, thats life
    10-05-11 11:15 AM
    RIM and Apple sell hardware and they do not want to handcuff the new OS with backwards compatibility and support for old phones with multiple operating systems. So those options are limited. Want OS7, buy the Torch, its a great phone. I did, and love it. Want QNX, keep your Storm for another 6-12 months and buy the new QNX phone. My Torch may or may not get QNX. Will probably find this out in a couple of weeks when we see if the current new devices will be upgradeable to QNX.
    I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a Torch 9850. The iPhone 4 (never mind the 4S) is better in every respect. The 9900 at least has the best keyboard on any smartphone ever sold. The 9850 doesn't even have a keyboard.
    10-05-11 11:22 AM
    do you even remember the IP 1,2 and 3? all got left behind as the other phones got all the new features. new tech out dates old tech, thats life
    Yes, I do. At least with the iPhone3GS, you can upgrade to iOS5. If you've got an iP1 or iP2, then it's kinda like running a 7100i. Good luck with that.

I can't update to squat with my S2. There hasn't been an OS update or anything for my S2 in months and months and months. Friend of mine has a Curve 3G. She can't update OS either. My sister can update to iOS5 as can the ex while I'm stuck with OS5 unless I want to upgrade my phone to an OS7 device and lose the one app I depend on daily at work which is Sirius and they've all but said eff off when asked about supporting any new BBs.

That was my point - Apple has fixed that problem on their handsets not being able to use the new iOS updates. One phone can survive multiple iOS updates while a BB can't. Some Bolds could update from OS5 to OS6 but as far as I know, I don't think OS6 can update to OS7 and I also doubt OS7 folks will be able to update to a full version QNX. It might be QNX Lite, but we'll see though.
    10-05-11 11:37 AM
    Definitely doesn't make me feel like my 9930 is the best phone in the world but does have the best keyboard EVVVVER and help in the decision I made to switch to the 9930 from the i4..
    Last edited by jhamilton3; 10-05-11 at 11:47 AM.
    10-05-11 11:37 AM
    I don't understand why anyone would ever buy a Torch 9850. The iPhone 4 (never mind the 4S) is better in every respect. The 9900 at least has the best keyboard on any smartphone ever sold. The 9850 doesn't even have a keyboard.
    hardware isnt everything to everyone. To me its about the intuitive interface and the way one gets through the taks at hand. nothing even competes with BB on this level IMO. Its kinda like cars. Apple and Android are the big loaded SUV's with 500 hp. you can load it up with crap and it uses a lot of power just to do an okay straight line speed, but a well engineered BMW coupe with only 350 hp will actually have better handling, responsiveness, acceleration, interior and build quality.
    I always go for that handling over excessive horsepower. Handling is what gets me through my tasks and around the track quickest.
    10-05-11 11:46 AM
    the iphone4 is by far not better in any respect....
    bad camera with bad sensor and grainy picures taken...
    also not great if you type alot...
    oh and dont forget itunes!
    10-05-11 11:48 AM
    Definitely doesn't make me feel like my 9930 is the best phone in the world but does have the best keyboard EVVVVER and help in the decision I made to switch to the 9930 from the i4..
    why didnt you get the best phone for you then? you should purchase whats best for you.
    10-05-11 11:49 AM
    Interesting. The pictures I take on mine have come out very well. Better than any of the camera my BBs ever had, as well as my Androids. No complaints really since it is a camera on a smartphone, not a dslr. The videos I have taken as well are all great quality. I was especially impressed by the shots and videos I took at the Foo Fighters show last week at the Izod Center in NJ.
    10-05-11 11:53 AM
    I gave up my iphone 4 and previous iphones to come back to the bold 9900... This phone just rocks for messaging and making calls.. Apps are secondary for me but they are lacking for sure.
    10-05-11 12:02 PM
    hardware isnt everything to everyone. To me its about the intuitive interface and the way one gets through the taks at hand. nothing even competes with BB on this level IMO. Its kinda like cars. Apple and Android are the big loaded SUV's with 500 hp. you can load it up with crap and it uses a lot of power just to do an okay straight line speed, but a well engineered BMW coupe with only 350 hp will actually have better handling, responsiveness, acceleration, interior and build quality.
    I always go for that handling over excessive horsepower. Handling is what gets me through my tasks and around the track quickest.
    This is a great analogy!! I happen to completely agree with you!
    10-05-11 12:18 PM
    the iphone 4 is documented to have one of the best cameras on a smartphone and it should be even better on the 4s. I know you were trolling but still dont like to see misinformation.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-05-11 12:32 PM
    I gave up my iphone 4 and previous iphones to come back to the bold 9900... This phone just rocks for messaging and making calls.. Apps are secondary for me but they are lacking for sure.
    I agree 100%. I went through a IP then an Evo because of the "8mp cam and 4G w/ 4.3 screen" type specs and all I see is gimicks in between trying to get things done and the battery life of a 16" laptop. I feel that BB spends a lot of time on handling communication efficiently as possible, while maintaining reliability and confidence in the user to know that your phone will be there for you when it's needed more than 5' from a wall.
    10-05-11 12:34 PM
    the iphone 4 is documented to have one of the best cameras on a smartphone and it should be even better on the 4s. I know you were trolling but still dont like to see misinformation.
    wouldn't you agree that the best camera on a phone doesn't make it a good camera by any photographers standard? I feel that the camera and lens on the 9930 is great and the shutter speed is unmatched by any of the high end phones I've used before. The "double camera click" shortcut and the super fast shutter speed is amazing for grabbing the quick shots that I don't want to miss. If I have time, I'm going to choose a full blown digital cam. over my friends IP. If I'm leaving the house to take shots then I bring the DSLR.
    10-05-11 12:56 PM
    You are misinformed.
    10-05-11 12:57 PM
    Prediction: The iPhone 4s is the "superphone" that RIM will struggle to bring a copycat version to market in a year and a half from now, with buggy software, incomplete cloud services and dodgy hardware.
    10-05-11 12:58 PM
    wouldn't you agree that the best camera on a phone doesn't make it a good camera by any photographers standard? I feel that the camera and lens on the 9930 is great and the shutter speed is unmatched by any of the high end phones I've used before. The "double camera click" shortcut and the super fast shutter speed is amazing for grabbing the quick shots that I don't want to miss. If I have time, I'm going to choose a full blown digital cam. over my friends IP. If I'm leaving the house to take shots then I bring the DSLR.
    That wasn't the point but I agree with you. If picture taking is going to be your primary focus, buy a dslr. The point was the person he quoted posted misinformation. It is known that the iPhone 4 has one of the best cameras on a smartphone. The only truly better ones are on Nokia devices. Nokia devices have always taken great pictures. Carl Zeiss lens on Nokias.
    10-05-11 01:01 PM
    The camera on my wife's ip4 is far better that the camera on my 9700 (judging by the photos we have taken of our toddler). The 9900 camera doesn't even have AF.
    10-05-11 01:01 PM
    That wasn't the point but I agree with you. If picture taking is going to be your primary focus, buy a dslr. The point was the person he quoted posted misinformation. It is known that the iPhone 4 has one of the best cameras on a smartphone. The only truly better ones are on Nokia devices. Nokia devices have always taken great pictures. Carl Zeiss lens on Nokias.
    I have a DSLR. Unfortunately that is not the camera I always have with me (which is my 9700).
    10-05-11 01:02 PM
    The camera on my wife's ip4 is far better that the camera on my 9700 (judging by the photos we have taken of our toddler). The 9900 camera doesn't even have AF.
    What does AF have to do with picture quality

Stop making sense! Plus the 9900 is thicker than the iPhone which uses an AF camera, come on RIM.
    10-05-11 01:04 PM
    I have a DSLR. Unfortunately that is not the camera I always have with me (which is my 9700).
    Totally understandable. I am just saying that people who are really focused on pictures shouldn't complain about a smartphone camera if they want really good pictures. Especially since the smartphone camera they are claiming is bad, is one of the best available on the market.
    10-05-11 01:04 PM
    How did i miss this app?? Have you watched the video with the Demo of Siri? Please give me the name of the app that can schedule a meeting for me, recognize and fix a schedule conflict, add attendees, read and respond to my text/emails, schedule a reminder to call my hubby when I leave work, recognize who my hubby is and when I've actually left the office ALL without me touching my phone. If I've missed that app all this time then I have been severely slacking!

For safety reasons alone this is worth the upgrade considering my hectic business and personal schedule, the amount of time I'm in a car unable to type and the fact that most of what I so centers around the email, calendar, and reminders on my phone.

I'm actually serious, I need the name if that app ASAP!
    It's called Siri. But you're out of luck broskiiiiii. Apple removed the app from the app store.

One Per Cent: Apple kills off original Siri app, tells users to upgrade
    10-05-11 01:07 PM
    iOS is far superior to BB OS in every respect that matters (architecture, apps, performance). However, BBs are great messaging phones because of the keyboards and keyboard shortcuts built into the OS. If you take the keyboard away you are left with an obsolete OS running on cheap hardware (9850 even has a plastic screen). The 9900 is the best BB ever made in terms of look and feel and there are still plenty of complaints about buttons popping off and battery covers scratching as soon as they are looked at.

The problem with your BMW analogy is BMW also makes SUVs some of which offer "better handling, responsiveness, acceleration, interior and build quality" than some of the coupes they make.
    10-05-11 01:12 PM
    in my opinion the iphone 4S isn't a revolution but it 's a good evolution .... maybe it's not the phone that so many people expected BUT it will be a nice one like the others iphone!!!
    iphon's and blackberry aren't in the same world the iphone is a much more for entertainment and the blackberry more professional with a lack of apps (in my opinion ) :s
    BUT we have to admit that the iphone 4S is technoligically better than the blackberry ... excepted the keyboard . so if you want a good business phone stabile os , security and and a wonderful keyboard go for the blackberry

sorry for the mistakes ( i'm french)
    10-05-11 01:18 PM
    The name "4s" is certainly not exciting but the dual core A5 is. The camera is much better than the camera in any device RIM ever shipped (never mind the crappy excuse for a camera in the 99X0). The 64GB option is a nice to have too.

The one big advanatge the 99X0 has going for it is the keyboard. Unfortunately, I can't buy it on AT&T.
    While that may be true, considering most people only look at pictures on their phone or in small windows from Facebook/Twitter on small monitors, its really not a big deal. Even RIM's camera's with AF since the Storm 2 weren't bad if you played with the settings. I mean, when people look at camera's, most only read the MP count, which we know is useless. I'm not saying Apple doesn't have excellent camera's, cause they do, I'm just saying most people wont use the camera as a deciding factor if that is the only thing making your decision. The OS 7 got pretty good reviews for its camera's (stills and video) when the reviews came around (except the 9900 from many).

I understand the need to only carry 1 device, but if pictures were THAT important that such small differences were deal breakers (again, considering how MOST view pictures) you should be keeping a real camera with you at all times, anyway. Cell camera's are for convenience, not pro photography, and today video calls. Apparently, we all need infinite MP for stills, but 1.3MP is "good enough" for video calling. I think a 5MP AF camera and quality 720p video is also "good enough" for most on a cell phone.

My long, drawn out $.02 on why cell phone camera's are overrated. I sure many will disagree...
    10-05-11 01:25 PM
287 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD