"Your team" is winning?!? What is this, a little league game?

It's just cellphones and gadgets dude... There is no "your team" unless you're on RIMs employee roster.

And besides, if you really insist on using sports analogies, then Android and iPhones are at the stadium getting ready for kick off, while RIM is the team stuck at a gas station 50 miles away, arguing over who's paying for the gas for this trip.

Dualcore CPUs and 8 MP cameras are now the standard for precomium phones, which reflects badly on RIMs 9000 series.

And it was a smart move of Apple to save the iPhone 5 upgrade for next year. RIM better
    launch their Qnx phones early next year, if they want to avoid being completely ignored and having their big Qnx reincarnation completely drowned out by an iPhone 5 launch.
    au
    I find it humorous that your already using Iphone 5 in your defence, but thats okay for me. I also hope that QNX's (OS that probably helps run your favorite car and get you your mail) first OS in the mobile phone industry doesn't get ignored and drowned out by another Iphone update like this.
    today I am happy to have my 9930, and love that another phone's release only made me appreciate what I already have even more.
    10-04-11 07:55 PM
    Eh yeah the 4S isn't the big jump people feared it might be and I say this as a true BlackBerry fan but in most areas it does still trump anything BlackBerry has to offer.

The iPhone 4S has a higher res screen, dual-core processor, front facing camera, many important apps that BlackBerry is missing, and a better camera (8MP/1080p) than anything BlackBerry has.
    Aside from using the same case, screen and the 4 digit, the iPhone 4 has been upgraded in every significant detail. I am not sure the case or screen needed upgrading. They seem pretty good to me (I have a 9700 and a 9800).
    10-04-11 08:00 PM
    And it was a smart move of Apple to save the iPhone 5 upgrade for next year.
    So then Apple has/(could have had) the iPhone 5 ready to roll and just decided to wait on it? Gotcha.
    10-04-11 08:01 PM
    You are completely wrong. The 9810 is the best phone in the world!
    I can see how one would say that, but we'll have to talk about that later.
    10-04-11 08:05 PM
    [QUOTE=WAIVERWIRE1;6731651]I replaced my 9650 one week ago with the 9930 from Verizon. I returned it last night. Why would someone release a phone when half of the Apps will not work [/QU

Not all apps but most work. Not enough for someone to return in my opinion. It is a nice upgrade over the 9650 which I truly enjoyed before the 9930. I do however miss the Starbucks App that did not make the OS 7 transition.
    10-04-11 08:12 PM
    I'm just glad the new iPhone is finally announced. Now we can get the ball rolling at the office to get orders in to replace Blackberries with iPhones. I'm quite sick of my 9800. Too little horsepower to run the software RIM wrote for it. Like has been said before, the 9810 is what the 9800 should have been. We don't see any point in getting BB 7 devices. It's a dead end after RIM starts releasing QNX devices. Given past performance we have no faith in RIM getting the QNX devices right on first try either. Adding RIM's terrible financial situation to the picture doesn't help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Wouldn't that also make the iphone 4s what the iphone 4 should have been? Oh that's right that only applies to RIM. Still it is a good upgrade and will sell like hotcakes.
    luna9698 likes this.
    10-04-11 08:14 PM
    Wouldn't that also make the iphone 4s what the iphone 4 should have been? Oh that's right that only applies to RIM. Still it is a good upgrade and will sell like hotcakes.
    That's not what it means at all; the iPhone 4, when it came out, was up to par with the top smartphones at the time, the Torch 9800 -- and arguably 9810 -- is not, that's the difference. That also covers why it "only applies to RIM." They continue to deliver lackluster upgrades, so it makes sense. Best of luck to RIM though.
    10-04-11 08:28 PM
    You are completely wrong. The 9810 is the best phone in the world!
    Which is why AT&T has to give it away.
    10-04-11 08:31 PM
    Lots of comments here. Interesting opinions. I don't know what anyone else wanted in a smart phone upgrade. I would have loved to have had an upgrade like this on BB. Longer battery life, better camera with 1080p recording and image stabilization, ability to edit photos on the fly, faster processor, awesome new iOS with Siri, faster graphics processor with airplaying games/movies on the big screen, better antenna, faster downloads, CDMA/GSM combo worldphone, and combine all this with the new cloud integration and iOS5 with iMessage.

I think people were wanting the ability for it to not only order chinese food for you by reading your mind, but automagically teleporting said dish into your tummy. Geesh!

I still stand by my comments that this phone will clean up.

Siri and this phone is amazing.
    10-04-11 09:29 PM
    just releasing an iphone on sprint and also making it a world phone would have been a pretty big deal IMO so everything else that got updated is taking it up a notch also. I think with out a doubt its the best overall phone out there honestly.
    Last edited by howarmat; 10-04-11 at 10:03 PM.
    10-04-11 09:41 PM
    While I can't disagree that RIM rehashes, to what extent? Between the 9650 and the 9930? A whole lot of changes were made. New materials etc.
    9000, 9700 and 9780. Most radical change was 9000 to 9700. Internal upgrades were minimal. 9700-9780, internal upgrades minimal. 9900, major internal upgrades.

Then take a look at the 3G, 3GS and iPhone 4. Now there is the 4S. 3G-3GS, pretty decent hardware upgrades for the time. Had a GPU unlike any GSM BB. 3Gs-4, major upgrade. more RAM, upgraded processor, new screen, FFC, and many others. 4-4S, basically like a 3G-3GS again but I would say even better to an extent. Every single upgrade to each device from RIM prior to BBOS7 devices has been a 3G-3GS upgrade in terms of "rehash".

I'm not saying I agree with the 4S, but the iPhone internal upgrades have been a heck of a lot nicer than RIMs flagship. I will not buy the 4S unless I have some extra cash to spend. I'd rather save my money for a QNX BB or maybe something else.

The 9930 is a beautiful device though.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-04-11 at 09:45 PM.
    10-04-11 09:43 PM
    Lots of comments here. Interesting opinions. I don't know what anyone else wanted in a smart phone upgrade. I would have loved to have had an upgrade like this on BB. Longer battery life, better camera with 1080p recording and image stabilization, ability to edit photos on the fly, faster processor, awesome new iOS with Siri, faster graphics processor with airplaying games/movies on the big screen, better antenna, faster downloads, CDMA/GSM combo worldphone, and combine all this with the new cloud integration and iOS5 with iMessage.

I think people were wanting the ability for it to not only order chinese food for you by reading your mind, but automagically teleporting said dish into your tummy. Geesh!

I still stand by my comments that this phone will clean up.

Siri and this phone is amazing.
    Siri has already been an app to download for a while and I see it as just another "voice search" option that everyone has and never uses. antenna is only important now because the last model had a fatal error. standby time got worse and data time is the same and people are starting to use more data than phone. world phones have been around for years and although this is great for IP Im surprised this is the first one to have this ability. this cloud thing seems to be a limited cloud compared to all the others that can be shared between many OS's. Nothing announced was a wow to me. My 9930 wows me every time it handles a task.
    10-04-11 09:49 PM
    just releasing an iphone on spring and also making it a world phone would have been a pretty big deal IMO so everything else that got updated is taking it up a notch also. I think with out a doubt its the best overall phone out there honestly.
    I agree that those were the most significant updates, but I would need a change in navigation, the cluttered pages, more menu options, and more customizable features, and now an amazing keyboard to have me consider an Apple phone. For now it seems a little dumbed down for me.
    10-04-11 09:58 PM
    I agree that those were the most significant updates, but I would need a change in navigation, the cluttered pages, more menu options, and more customizable features, and now an amazing keyboard to have me consider an Apple phone. For now it seems a little dumbed down for me.
    the keyboard is going to make it or break it for people i agree.
    10-04-11 10:05 PM
    Siri has already been an app to download for a while and I see it as just another "voice search" option that everyone has and never uses. antenna is only important now because the last model had a fatal error. standby time got worse and data time is the same and people are starting to use more data than phone. world phones have been around for years and although this is great for IP Im surprised this is the first one to have this ability. this cloud thing seems to be a limited cloud compared to all the others that can be shared between many OS's. Nothing announced was a wow to me. My 9930 wows me every time it handles a task.
    Different toys...

Siri is more than voice search. I think it is amazing.

The cloud is important to me because I have switched to iPad with my iMac being my main computer now. I have also switched to using iWork, so the icloud integration is the best for me.

Overall, RIM should have brought all of this to us. Skype video calling, awesome camera, HDMI out from the BB for presentations, full size keyboard via bluetooth, etc (the list goes on). Instead they sat still and released...the Playbook. When push came to shove they finally released the 99XX series, which I looked at this past week. I tried to like it, but iPhone is really a superior overall phone.

It was funny because I was on vacation last week and my wife called asking where I was. I tried sharing/sending my location with my BB to her BB but BB Maps is lame and it didn't work right. I am quite sure it will be upgraded a bit with the "Find my friends" app on the iPhone. BB maps could be one of the worst map solutions out there.
    10-04-11 10:09 PM
    The announcement was somewhat of a disappointment today for anyone waiting for a iPhone 5. I understand specs were all upgraded as well as the software, but they were only upgraded to match what some Android handsets are running right now. In a couple months these specs will be trumped by then next generation of Android superphones. I'm only comparing Apple to Android as they are very similar with their form factors. I've already had a couple friends who were waiting for the iPhone 5, go out and check out the SG2.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-04-11 10:17 PM
    Different toys...

Siri is more than voice search. I think it is amazing.

The cloud is important to me because I have switched to iPad with my iMac being my main computer now. I have also switched to using iWork, so the icloud integration is the best for me.

Overall, RIM should have brought all of this to us. Skype video calling, awesome camera, HDMI out from the BB for presentations, full size keyboard via bluetooth, etc (the list goes on). Instead they sat still and released...the Playbook. When push came to shove they finally released the 99XX series, which I looked at this past week. I tried to like it, but iPhone is really a superior overall phone.

It was funny because I was on vacation last week and my wife called asking where I was. I tried sharing/sending my location with my BB to her BB but BB Maps is lame and it didn't work right. I am quite sure it will be upgraded a bit with the "Find my friends" app on the iPhone. BB maps could be one of the worst map solutions out there.
    skype is not necessary to me and it doesnt seem to be very highly requested by BB bold users. If you are looking to take a great photos, any phone to date would be bad choice, but the new Bold is a great option for quick pics. HDMI out is not something I see being used on a Bold. I am more than pleased with my available keyboard and many others are as well. I havent experienced any issues at all on BB maps let alone anything to name it the "worst map solution". In order to appreciate what BB focuses on, I feel that you need to make the phone your primary device long enough to accomplish task after task. problem is, many people dont expect efficiency in communication devices any longer, just time passing apps.
    10-04-11 10:39 PM
    I havent experienced any issues at all on BB maps let alone anything to name it the "worst map solution". In order to appreciate what BB focuses on, I feel that you need to make the phone your primary device long enough to accomplish task after task. problem is, many people dont expect efficiency in communication devices any longer, just time passing apps.
    My experience with BB maps is not good. I went to search for Panera the other day (9780) and it didn't find the multiple Panera breads across the city. It seems to not really know anything. I did try out the BB maps on 9900 and it was better than my 9780. No voice navigation (like Android), no fast drop of the pin (like Apple), no 3D mapping (like Garmin). I really don't like it, but sometimes try to use it when I am in a pinch. Sad thing is I still carry around a Garmin, a camera, and my 9780. I simply want one device that does it all.

As for making phone primary device, agreed 100%. I have had my 9780 for about a year. A 9700 before that, Pearl for 2 years before that (really loved that phone), 8700 for a couple of years, 7230.... I think that is the way it went. There might have been a couple of Berries in there I am forgetting. I love(d) RIM, but seems like the other phones are blowing them out of the water today. The Playbook mishap also totally let me down. I had a really bad experience.

Oh well, I have been an Apple fan for greater than 20 years now , probably time to finally give up the Berry and get my iPhone. Hopefully RIM comes out with something in the future that will bring me back, as I feel I owe a lot to RIM for bailing me out of salesperson situations while on the road (sending a report, when can I have product, did you get my email, etc.).
    10-04-11 10:55 PM
    stupid 4S has made me wanna stay with my awesome 9930 and beloved 9360
    10-05-11 12:11 AM
  20. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    The Bold 9900 is a brilliant phone .. can't go wrong with that choice ....
    10-05-11 12:26 AM
    The Bold 9900 is a brilliant phone .. can't go wrong with that choice ....
    absolutely correct. No matter what the price of the device is nearby you..... You can be comfortable buying this phone anyday!
    10-05-11 12:56 AM
    Agree! The fact that the iphone 4S announcement was at all relevant to how you felt about your BB means that RIM needs to keep working.
    It was relevant to me since I'm on Sprint and I wanted to confirm reasons for the recent changes. Well, it's finally coming to Sprint. But not the iPhone 5 (BGR wiping significant egg off his face), It's an iPhone4 with updated software, a dual core processor, an improved camera, some new functionality, some copied functionality (not that there's anything wrong with it), and slight design tweeks.

There are 3 problems here, though. First, the 4GS is a great phone. If you're an Apple fan, they released a phone that does some pretty serious stuff and it looks awesome doing so. The 9930 is also a great phone. It represents a hardware/software upgrade from previous Bolds that really enhanced the Blackberry experience for BB fanboys. The 4GS is not going to make iPhone 4 owners jump to buy this new phone. New subscribers will. Since people know that the uber-iPhone is on the horizon, and it was so overhyped prior to the announcement (BGR still wiping egg off face), a great phone is getting a lukewarm reception.

It just hit me earlier. There should be no disappointment among the Apple fans. It makes perfect sense. The second problem here is that what Apple just pulled today was exactly what they did with the iPad 2. Processor bump, camera, and software updates while changing the form and display slightly. iPad users weren't going to scrap theirs to jump on the iPad 2, but non-tablet owners would. SSDD (Same Strategy Different Device).

Finally, Didn't rumors of an iPad 3 recently shift a release from fall 2011 to Q1/Q2 2812? The 4GS is a stopgap phone just like the iPad 2. It's a very impressive stopgap phone, but stopgap, nonetheless. It buys them time to do the iPhone 5 right.

The 9900/9930 disappointed because people know there's a QNX BBX phone coming at some unspecified time. Not because it's not a great phone, but because our sights have been set too far ahead. Ditto to the 4GS.

RIM's phones are selling well now and Apple will continue to sell phones. I'd say that maybe RIM is on the right track. They both have new phones that will sell well until the iPhone 5 and the new BBX phones come to light.

I'd say that to others, today's announcement was relevant because it makes RIM look very much in the game at this point, which they didn't as recently as yesterday. If Apple sprung a 5 on us today, the RIM would appear further behind. After all, this past spring, I read a quote by someone from Microsoft responding to a question about why he was so optimistic about MS's position 2 years down the road when barely any WP7 phones have been sold. He responded because "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon. Gentlemen... Start your engines!
    Last edited by louzer; 10-05-11 at 02:15 AM.
    10-05-11 02:13 AM
    I find it humorous that your already using Iphone 5 in your defence, but thats okay for me. I also hope that QNX's (OS that probably helps run your favorite car and get you your mail) first OS in the mobile phone industry doesn't get ignored and drowned out by another Iphone update like this.
    However, unlike BlackBerry, when an new Apple iOS comes out, you can update your iPhone without needing a new iPhone.

The new OS will work on my ex's iPhone 3Gs. It will also work on my sister's iPhone4.

OS 6, OS7 and QNX won't work on my Storm2 nor will QNX work on anyone's 9930/9810/9850-60. You'll need a new phone.
    K Bear and pantlesspenguin like this.
    10-05-11 09:02 AM
    RIM's gotta start putting hardware like that into their phones or they should be prepared to close up shop. I support Blackberry just as much as most people around here but the plain truth is...the rest of the cellphone manufacturers are working them like a punching bag.

I like the 9900 and I find it very useful, but the fact that Apple's designers could squeeze a DC A5 processor and an 8MP AF camera into their thin phone, and RIM's designers "had to" remove those features to accommodate the small size is not inspiring great faith.

Come on RIM, you gotta do better or get people in there who can. The current roster is clearly not up to the task.
    10-05-11 10:38 AM
    However, unlike BlackBerry, when an new Apple iOS comes out, you can update your iPhone without needing a new iPhone.

The new OS will work on my ex's iPhone 3Gs. It will also work on my sister's iPhone4.

OS 6, OS7 and QNX won't work on my Storm2 nor will QNX work on anyone's 9930/9810/9850-60. You'll need a new phone.
    New operating systems take advantage of new hardware. When there is an ability to update, you certainly can on BB. Depends on the hardware. I was able to easily upgrade my Bold 9650 from OS5 to OS6. Worked great. 9630 and Storm could not get the new OS6, a decision made on the hardware and business considerations.

RIM and Apple sell hardware and they do not want to handcuff the new OS with backwards compatibility and support for old phones with multiple operating systems. So those options are limited. Want OS7, buy the Torch, its a great phone. I did, and love it. Want QNX, keep your Storm for another 6-12 months and buy the new QNX phone. My Torch may or may not get QNX. Will probably find this out in a couple of weeks when we see if the current new devices will be upgradeable to QNX.
    10-05-11 10:44 AM
287 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD