After the announcement of the 4S, I held my 9930 up like a boxer who just one the fight and said "your still the best phone in the world" and my LED blinked right back at me. Does anyone else get that same confirming feeling about their new Bold after this 4S announcement?
    Last edited by sir.dangerfield; 10-04-11 at 01:55 PM. Reason: name change
    10-04-11 01:52 PM
    The announcement doesn't change anything. I don't want to sound like an *** but the 9900 isn't that much of an improvement to the BlackBerry line. To many the iPhone 4 still trumps anything that RIM has out at the moment so unless you were really going to switch, you were already content with the 9900 and you weren't going to switch unless you really wanted a newer iPhone. If not you would've already gone to the iPhone 4.

But yes, I felt even more underwhelmed with this announcement than I did with the 3GS only for the sole reason that the smartphone market is way bigger than what it was when the 3GS was out. You'd expect Apple to make a bigger leap than the 4S given the amount of competition.
    10-04-11 02:03 PM
    The announcement doesn't change anything. I don't want to sound like an *** but the 9900 isn't that much of an improvement to the BlackBerry line...You'd expect Apple to make a bigger leap than the 4S given the amount of competition.
    I think the 9900 and 9850 series of OS7 phones are far greater improvements than the lame iphone announcement. The BB hardware is much more advanced over the prior versions with the highly regarded and smooth liquid graphics. Also enhanced connectivity to PB. RIM advanced and PB OS2 will be big advance. This is proven by strong positiveresponse to OS7 devices, and mixed with positive reviews my media reviewers. Apple stagnates with minor improvements only.

Window is open for RIM to leap forward, not necessarily up to front, but to contend again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Guatiao and diegonei like this.
    10-04-11 02:29 PM
    The announcement doesn't change anything. I don't want to sound like an *** but the 9900 isn't that much of an improvement to the BlackBerry line. To many the iPhone 4 still trumps anything that RIM has out at the moment so unless you were really going to switch, you were already content with the 9900 and you weren't going to switch unless you really wanted a newer iPhone. If not you would've already gone to the iPhone 4.

But yes, I felt even more underwhelmed with this announcement than I did with the 3GS only for the sole reason that the smartphone market is way bigger than what it was when the 3GS was out. You'd expect Apple to make a bigger leap than the 4S given the amount of competition.
    I can appreciate your point of view as you might not have lived with a 99xx yet. The screen size and touch response, the outstanding keyboard, build quality, ergonomics, the quickness getting through the phone, browsing experience, and memory improvement is all a huge deal for me. All of those improvements plus the OS I already thought was the best made the 9930 the best phone on the market for me. I didn't expect the next Iphone to convert me, but I feared new innovation that could make the 99xx obsolete and the 4S did no such thing. It changes things in the way that Apple no longer has a 15 month old phone to use as an excuse. Everyone's cards are on the table and I think BlackBerry has the best hand.
    10-04-11 02:31 PM
    The name "4s" is certainly not exciting but the dual core A5 is. The camera is much better than the camera in any device RIM ever shipped (never mind the crappy excuse for a camera in the 99X0). The 64GB option is a nice to have too.

The one big advanatge the 99X0 has going for it is the keyboard. Unfortunately, I can't buy it on AT&T.
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    10-04-11 02:32 PM
    I can appreciate your point of view as you might not have lived with a 99xx yet. The screen size and touch response, the outstanding keyboard, build quality, ergonomics, the quickness getting through the phone, browsing experience, and memory improvement is all a huge deal for me. All of those improvements plus the OS I already thought was the best made the 9930 the best phone on the market for me. I didn't expect the next Iphone to convert me, but I feared new innovation that could make the 99xx obsolete and the 4S did no such thing. It changes things in the way that Apple no longer has a 15 month old phone to use as an excuse. Everyone's cards are on the table and I think BlackBerry has the best hand.

Or at least a hand that is worthy of winning the current round. They still need to win the entire poker game and right now they are behind even with the 4S. QNX has to be amazing and go without a hitch.

If QNX doesn't meet expectations, we as a community cannot continue to make excuses for them.
    10-04-11 02:35 PM
    It took the announcement of the 4S for you to feel this way?
    10-04-11 02:38 PM
    I think the 9900 and 9850 series of OS7 phones are far greater improvements than the lame iphone announcement. The BB hardware is much more advanced over the prior versions with the highly regarded and smooth liquid graphics. Also enhanced connectivity to PB. RIM advanced and PB OS2 will be big advance. This is proven by strong positiveresponse to OS7 devices, and mixed with positive reviews my media reviewers. Apple stagnates with minor improvements only.

Window is open for RIM to leap forward, not necessarily up to front, but to contend again.

I don't want to go into what was a bigger upgrade OS7 or 4S because that could go back and forth but I will agree with you that this is a window RIM needed and definitely could use to try to get some momentum back into the smartphone game. Hopefully they don't mess up the opportunity.

Those are all excellent improvements/upgrades...if you're a BlackBerry user. I've used the 9900 enough to appreciate what RIM has done and it definitely makes using a Blackberry much more tolerable but even with those upgrades, to the rest of the smartphone market, the 99xx is still obsolete even to the iPhone 4 but that's not to say it's a bad phone. BlackBerry users will still eat it up but it still isn't going to take anything away from iOS and Android.
    10-04-11 02:41 PM
  9. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    After the announcement of the 4S, I held my 9930 up like a boxer who just one the fight and said "your still the best phone in the world" and my LED blinked right back at me. Does anyone else get that same confirming feeling about their new Bold after this 4S announcement?
    Yes .. I agree! .. .the Bold 9900 / 9930 is the lead professional smartphone out there now!! .. and its selling extremely well in all areas .. all countries so far ... RIM has a winner with this phone ... especially with the professional ....

It needs to follow up with the QNX smartphone for those who want a full touch device ... the combination should be perfect for RIM going forward! ....
    10-04-11 02:42 PM
    Well the 4S is just brushing up to stay relevant. The hardware was getting dated. Remember Apple do not release 6-7 phones at a time. It is iOS5 that is a real problem for me.
    Talk of SIRI, (from Android); imessage (BBM); Multitasking Gestures (from PB); AirPlay Mirroring (the Bridge); Notification Center (Social Feeds)
    Now remember the power of Apple is in the execution. It will seem like they invented everything and izombies will swallow it hook line and sinker.
    10-04-11 02:50 PM
    I have to admit it did. I don't dare doubt technology these days no matter what company it may come from.
    10-04-11 02:51 PM
    I replaced my 9650 one week ago with the 9930 from Verizon. I returned it last night. Why would someone release a phone when half of the Apps will not work
    K Bear and Exiled Bulldawg like this.
    10-04-11 02:58 PM
    Agree! The fact that the iphone 4S announcement was at all relevant to how you felt about your BB means that RIM needs to keep working.
    howarmat likes this.
    10-04-11 02:58 PM
    I replaced my 9650 one week ago with the 9930 from Verizon. I returned it last night. Why would someone release a phone when half of the Apps will not work
    Troll. The apps work. Slink away...

10-04-11 03:09 PM
    I must admit the unchanged exterior looks underwhelming (remember the Torch2?)
    But the 4S internals are still formidable.
    The ipad2 processor, dual core graphics card, 8mp camera, two antennas, iOS5 and all that battery life? The pricing sounds aggressive too.
    No BB device can hold a candle to that but I agree it could have been a much higher bar. So RIM has a bit of breathing space as I feel all these were a minimum for me on the next QNX flagship phone. It is still easier said than done but we'll see. Remember the 4S is out now whereas the next QNX device may be a while yet.
    DevCon can't come soon enough.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 10-04-11 at 03:13 PM.
    newcollector and Dapper37 like this.
    10-04-11 03:10 PM
    I agree, if they had put those specs into a ipod touch design (yes, i'm wishing for something smaller) I would have had hard time to decide between 9900/9860 and new iPhone. But that not being the case I will still be going for the BB7

Only potential dealbreaker could be whatever Nokia manages wrap that interesting WP Mango in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-04-11 03:17 PM
    I must admit the unchanged exterior looks underwhelming (remember the Torch2?)
    But the 4S internals are still formidable.
    The ipad2 processor, dual core graphics card, 8mp camera, two antennas, iOS5 and all that battery life? The pricing sounds aggressive too.
    No BB device can hold a candle to that but I agree it could have been a much higher bar. So RIM has a bit of breathing space as I feel all these were a minimum for me on the next QNX flagship phone. It is still easier said than done but we'll see. Remember the 4S is out now whereas the next QNX device may be a while yet.
    DevCon can't come soon enough.
    $399 for a 64GB on contract doesn`t sound aggressive to me. That`s pretty steep for a contract phone.
    10-04-11 03:19 PM
    I guess I'm just not sure why anyone is shocked. It was iPhone, iPhone 3g, iPhone 3gs Then iPhone 4. iPhone 3gs didn't change at all with the exception of the specs.
    10-04-11 03:20 PM
    I guess I'm just not sure why anyone is shocked. It was iPhone, iPhone 3g, iPhone 3gs Then iPhone 4. iPhone 3gs didn't change at all with the exception of the specs.
    People feel that there should be no 4gs or 3gs. They want big changes every year, not rehashed crap.

The glass back is stupid.
    10-04-11 03:22 PM
    After the announcement of the 4S, I held my 9930 up like a boxer who just one the fight and said "you're still the best phone in the world" and my LED blinked right back at me. Does anyone else get that same confirming feeling about their new Bold after this 4S announcement?
    Not really. I was considering either going back to a physical KB and the Bold or the Torch touch for OS7, but I'd lose the most important app on my phone (Sirius) so after hearing the iPhone4S announcement, it sounds tempting. I don't have that busy of a life to use Siri, but it'd be nice to ask it where a feed store is and it tell me if I'm in Memphis and need horse chow.

Everyone's cards are on the table and I think BlackBerry has the best hand.
    Is BlackBerry aware that everyone else is playing poker and not Go Fish? IMO, the OS7 lines can't compete with the iPh4S. Not even close.

People feel that there should be no 4gs or 3gs. They want big changes every year, not rehashed crap.

The glass back is stupid. Bad move on part of Apple, but the rehashed crap is pretty much BlackBerry's line of thinking. We get a faster processor and a few other tweaks. That's what iPhone4S is but at least iOS has Siri.
    K Bear likes this.
    10-04-11 03:27 PM
    Troll. The apps work. Slink away...

I am not a troll. The following Apps were not available when I upgraded as they were not ready at the release date. The Weather Channel, The Hockey News, Movie Tickets.com, Marriott, FIOS TV remote, Delta, Fox, AP Mobile, TSN/NHL, and my Bank of America loads sideways. My TBO.com and St. Pete Times.com will load but if you try to use the cursor to scroll, the screen drops you to the bottom of the page. Thus you have to use the touch screen and if you touch it to hard the page resets to the top.

When I took it back I showed the salesperson what it was doing and they just said we will refund your money and never offered an exchange.

I will continue to use my reliable 9650 until the bugs are worked out.
    Last edited by WAIVERWIRE1; 10-04-11 at 03:31 PM.
    10-04-11 03:27 PM

The glass back is stupid. Bad move on part of Apple, but the rehashed crap is pretty much BlackBerry's line of thinking. We get a faster processor and a few other tweaks. That's what iPhone4S is but at least iOS has Siri.
    While I can't disagree that RIM rehashes, to what extent? Between the 9650 and the 9930? A whole lot of changes were made. New materials etc.

People wanted a whole new iphone. I am just saying that is what people want and I answered your question.

The glass back is still stupid.
    10-04-11 03:30 PM

Hmmm, I guess that depends on the person. There was a thread were a BB user complained that the 9900 was still basically the same phone with a few minor upgrades. A dedicated BB user said that was the exact reason they bought it. It was the same phone they loved only faster.

I think those are the people buying the devices Apple puts out. If you really like a device then chances are you are going continue using it if the few changes that are made are changes that matter. Speed, and battery life matter.

Just my 02 cents, but we shall see on Oct 7 when pre-sales start.
    10-04-11 03:32 PM
    While I can't disagree that RIM rehashes, to what extent? Between the 9650 and the 9930? A whole lot of changes were made. New materials etc.

People wanted a whole new iphone. I am just saying that is what people want and I answered your question.

The glass back is still stupid.
    My point was people are ******** about Apple rehashing iOS4 for iOS4S. BlackBerry has been doing it for years.

There are some OS tweaks, Siri and new internal hardware for iPhone4S. Same thing for the 9650 to the 9930 minus Siri.

And yes, it's still stupid. Rumor was the iPhone5 would be aluminum. I was hoping iPhone4S would be.
    10-04-11 03:34 PM
    My point was people are ******** about Apple rehashing iOS4 for iOS4S. BlackBerry has been doing it for years.

There are some OS tweaks, Siri and new internal hardware for iPhone4S. Same thing for the 9650 to the 9930 minus Siri.

And yes, it's still stupid. Rumor was the iPhone5 would be aluminum. I was hoping iPhone4S would be.

I am not disagreeing.

Yes aluminum. or plastic. I liked the 3g look and feel.
    10-04-11 03:43 PM
287 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD