For Rogers BOLD 9900 users on AT&T...

Have any of you been now receiving 4G coverage on your phone instead of the regular Rogers H+ since now AT&T's Bold is officially launched with 4G???

If so, how did you get the 4G icon at the top right hand corner and what OS Build are you using?
    11-08-11 11:09 AM
    A 9900 from Rogers will always show H+, until Rogers decide to change that. Only a 9900 supplied by AT&T will show 4G.

The fact you're using a Rogers device on AT&T makes no difference, even with an AT&T OS installed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-11 11:16 AM
    H+ is short for HSPA+ which is a 4G technology. Doesn't matter if its HSPA+ or WiMAX or LTE its all technically "4G" network coverage and the speeds will be about the same.
    11-08-11 11:21 AM
    H+ is short for HSPA+ which is a 4G technology. Doesn't matter if its HSPA+ or WiMAX or LTE its all technically "4G" network coverage and the speeds will be about the same.

The speed are not at all the same.

4G is now a very vague term these days.

Via Blackberry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-08-11 11:23 AM
    HSPA+ is just that, it is NOT LTE or 'true' 4G.

If your network supports HSPA+ speeds, you will be getting them on your 9900, and nothing more... whether your phone displays 3G, H+ or 4G, it's all the same.

11-08-11 11:27 AM
    For Rogers BOLD 9900 users on AT&T...

Have any of you been now receiving 4G coverage on your phone instead of the regular Rogers H+ since now AT&T's Bold is officially launched with 4G???

If so, how did you get the 4G icon at the top right hand corner and what OS Build are you using?
    Honestly, it doesn't really matter. I know it may seem cool at first to see the 4G icon on your device instead of H+, but, it's the same thing. The only difference right now is how carriers are choosing to market their HSPA+ networks.

Don't feel as though AT&T users are getting a superior device because theirs say 4G and yours doesn't; because that just isn't the case.

In my honest opinion, the only thing carriers are accomplishing with this whole 4G vs. "Faux" G non-sense is confusing the crap out of their customers.

Umm... this could not be further from the truth. HSPA+ and WiMax speeds do not even come close to LTE speeds. The speeds you get on LTE networks are just not comparable.
    11-08-11 11:51 AM
    Umm... this could not be further from the truth. HSPA+ and WiMax speeds do not even come close to LTE speeds. The speeds you get on LTE networks are just not comparable.
    I meant it more realistically. Yes LTE connection speeds are FAR faster, but I hardly notice a difference as it is between my wifi speeds and H+ speeds. It could be because the web pages are a few hundred kB... but personally I think its because most of the time I'm waiting for the phone to read the packets not receive them.

I admit I may be wrong though since I've obviously never been able to use LTE. Either way I don't think it matters what the icon says since the BB is still connecting to the same towers using the same technology and hardware.
    11-08-11 12:41 PM
    At home here with my HSPA+ I'm getting download speeds of 10 to 13 MB/S down. In SK here, they're supposed to be setting up LTE in the bigger cities by next summer with speeds of up to 40 MB/S down, which it likely will be until the system gets overloaded, but that's not as much of a problem here as some places, as the government owns Sasktel and there spending a ton of money on their infrastructure.
    11-08-11 03:42 PM
    The speeds are no where near the same. My friend's Bionic gets 31Mbps down and 14Mbps up. H+ and Wimax can't hold a candle to LTE that's why AT&T and Sprint are building out LTE now. T-Mobile isn't as far as I know and is going to get left far behind. H+ has a technical limit of 14.4Mbps down but I don't think anyone in the US comes close to that.
    11-08-11 04:16 PM
    The speeds are no where near the same. My friend's Bionic gets 31Mbps down and 14Mbps up. H+ and Wimax can't hold a candle to LTE that's why AT&T and Sprint are building out LTE now. T-Mobile isn't as far as I know and is going to get left far behind. H+ has a technical limit of 14.4Mbps down but I don't think anyone in the US comes close to that.

If H+ is limited to 14 Mbps

What is Verizon 3G limited to?
    Just curious.

Via Blackberry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-08-11 06:09 PM
    H+ is not limited to 14 mbps. I believe TMO is running H+ at 22+ right now and there is an upgrade path to 40+ range.

Now yes, H+ is not LTE. However, LTE is not everywhere yet either and H+ is certainly in many more places than LTE and H+ devices have the benefit of better battery life.

Now how do you measure 4G? Is it by speed, is it by network architecture, everyone has an opinion. AT&T/Sprint and most other major carriers are planning or deploying LTE networks. T-Mobile is not primarily for 2 reasons, first they can't afford to, second they'll be part of AT&T most likely and the point becomes moot.

PG
    Last edited by phonegeek; 11-08-11 at 06:21 PM.
    11-08-11 06:18 PM
    T-Mobile is just sadly waiting to be Devoured just wondering what will happen with the network. UM maybe the same thing that happened to nextel.
    11-08-11 09:15 PM
    All I can say is that my Telus H+ is SLOWER than my friends 3G in France, UK and Germany. This is stupid considering Canada has one of highest rate of mobile phone charges and MOST paid CEOs in mobile industry compared to EU and Japan. Sucks to be Canadian.

Just because you see a H+ logo on your phone doesn't mean it is faster than 3G in some other country/network my experience.
    11-08-11 09:39 PM
    4G is faster than h+
    11-09-11 09:42 AM
    4G is faster than h+
    ...and your point is?

The 9900 is an HSPA+ compatible device. It can't handle speeds in excess of H+

11-09-11 09:47 AM
    [QUOTE=Phill_UK;6835979]HSPA+ is just that, it is NOT LTE or 'true' 4G.

/QUOTE]

Technically, neither was LTE (but LTE Advanced is 4G), then the ITU decided that they should all be called 4G.
    11-09-11 09:54 AM
    I have my unlocked 9900 from Thailand and I use it on AT&T, always showed 3G. Is there something wrong with my phone???

If I put the AT&T 9900 Software on it, will I get VVM and 4G?
    11-09-11 10:40 AM
    I have my unlocked 9900 from Thailand and I use it on AT&T, always showed 3G. Is there something wrong with my phone???

If I put the AT&T 9900 Software on it, will I get VVM and 4G?
    No, you won't.

11-09-11 01:52 PM
    H+ is not limited to 14 mbps. I believe TMO is running H+ at 22+ right now and there is an upgrade path to 40+ range.

Now yes, H+ is not LTE. However, LTE is not everywhere yet either and H+ is certainly in many more places than LTE and H+ devices have the benefit of better battery life.

Now how do you measure 4G? Is it by speed, is it by network architecture, everyone has an opinion. AT&T/Sprint and most other major carriers are planning or deploying LTE networks. T-Mobile is not primarily for 2 reasons, first they can't afford to, second they'll be part of AT&T most likely and the point becomes moot.

PG

The latest version of H+ is Dual Cell HSPA+ (or DCH+). It has a theoretical download of 42Mbps.

In short, the upper end of the actual download speeds of DCH+ (7-14Mbps) are in the ballpark of the lower end LTE can achieve (12-24Mbps) . In other words, they are not that far from eachother.

TELUS' Galaxy S2 x, for example, runs on their DCH+ network.
    Last edited by fnord; 11-09-11 at 02:07 PM.
    11-09-11 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD