ok...but that still means the AT&T/GSM phones will be faster than the CDMA's, right?
    Yes, but hasn't AT&T's GSM network always been faster than Verizon's CDMA? Now with HSPA+ speeds it will likely be even faster. However, Verizon's LTE network is faster than AT&T's HSPA+. It's unfortunate the 9900/9930 doesn't support it.
    Well, technically, the phones will have the same CPU in them, so the phones themselves are the same "speed". But as mentioned, the networks are a tad different in the speeds they are capable of.

Then don't forget you have to factor saturation and how crowded the networks are in various locations.

yada yada yada
    08-03-11 05:27 AM
    Ok, so the front page says AT&T's 9900 will be 4G. I am confused because so many people on here said RIM would not be making 4G BB's this year.

Does this mean AT&T will have the 4G Bold and VZN will have a 3G one because it is CDMA?
    08-03-11 08:36 AM
    It will have what ATT and Tmobile are calling 4G, which is HSPA+ and I don't believe it's capable of the fastest HSPA+ speeds either. It will NOT be LTE. Also LTE while closer than most STILL does not truely meet the not quite official (I don't THINK it's official yet anyways) 4G standard.

Think of it this way HSPA+ is like 3.5G, and LTE is like 3.75G, although most likely the standard will accept LTE as 4G
    08-03-11 08:49 AM
    ok...but that still means the AT&T/GSM phones will be faster than the CDMA's, right?
    08-03-11 09:00 AM
    Sure.

10char
    08-03-11 09:03 AM
    Actually, the official 4G standards were set by the UN's International Telecommunications Union (ITU). In a document called IMT-Advanced, it specifies that in order for a technology to be considered 4G it must have downlink speeds of 1Gbps when stationary and 100Mbps when mobile.

However, the ITU has accepted that LTE, WiMax, and other evolved 3G technologies can be apply the term 4G providing they're substantially improved in performance from the previous generation. So while LTE and HSPA+ speeds are faster than the 3G standard, they're not close to true 4G.
    08-03-11 09:03 AM
    Yes, but hasn't AT&T's GSM network always been faster than Verizon's CDMA? Now with HSPA+ speeds it will likely be even faster. However, Verizon's LTE network is faster than AT&T's HSPA+. It's unfortunate the 9900/9930 doesn't support it.
    08-03-11 09:06 AM
    yeah that sucks. 4g lte is blazing. Anymore know yet which carriers will offer the mobile hotspot feature? That is a must have for me.

08-03-11 09:10 AM
    It will have what ATT and Tmobile are calling 4G, which is HSPA+ and I don't believe it's capable of the fastest HSPA+ speeds either. It will NOT be LTE. Also LTE while closer than most STILL does not truely meet the not quite official (I don't THINK it's official yet anyways) 4G standard.

Think of it this way HSPA+ is like 3.5G, and LTE is like 3.75G, although most likely the standard will accept LTE as 4G
    Thanks for this. Do we know yet that VZ 9930 won't be LTE?
    Or is it still possible?
    08-03-11 09:17 AM
    Thanks for this. Do we know yet that VZ 9930 won't be LTE?
    Or is it still possible?
    Yes we know, it won't be, it WILL have HPSA+ for use in Europe while doing Global roaming. If that means anything. It will NOT have LTE
    08-03-11 03:36 PM
    Yes, but hasn't AT&T's GSM network always been faster than Verizon's CDMA? .
    Not really. My S2 blew my sister's AT&T iPhone out of the water on data speeds. AT&T also has sucky service here so that may be something to do with it.
    08-03-11 03:58 PM
    Not really. My S2 blew my sister's AT&T iPhone out of the water on data speeds. AT&T also has sucky service here so that may be something to do with it.
    This I doubt.....
    08-03-11 06:11 PM
    This has been covered in multiple threads
    08-03-11 06:12 PM
    GSM phones will be (a lot) faster than CDMA (in the US) phones, yes.
    08-03-11 06:23 PM
    The power of advertisement. That's why these networks will always win when it comes to the average consumer and we (us geeks) will always argue the facts.
    08-03-11 06:33 PM
    GSM phones will be (a lot) faster than CDMA (in the US) phones, yes.
    Theoretically, yes. In practice, it depends. I live in Washington, DC, for example, and good luck trying to get decent AT&T service anywhere downtown.
    08-03-11 06:54 PM
    Verizon BlackBerry Curve 9370 to have 4G LTE?
    Leaked Verizon Roadmap Reveals Potential Launch Dates for Stratosphere, Vigor, Bionic and More - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
    (look at the right panel where it says BlackBerry Curve 9370)
    08-03-11 06:58 PM
    I seriously doubt it unless they change all of the cdma models to use lte...

Otherwise there would be a lot less point in getting a bold. Probably just a cut and paste job.
    08-03-11 07:02 PM
    The Qualcomms on the new BBs (Bolds/Torches) are the same that are in the Thunderbolt. They can support LTE. I just don't know if RIM went this route. Wouldn't that be a great surprise
    08-03-11 07:08 PM
    hahahahah. At&t? 4G? HAHHAHA. their 4G sucks in New York and so does their call quality lol. Their "4g" is barely 3G in my eyes.
    08-03-11 10:29 PM
    The Qualcomms on the new BBs (Bolds/Torches) are the same that are in the Thunderbolt. They can support LTE. I just don't know if RIM went this route. Wouldn't that be a great surprise
    Don't think they implemented the LTE radio in this phone. They are probably using the integrated radio that comes on the Snapdragon.

Theoretically, yes. In practice, it depends. I live in Washington, DC, for example, and good luck trying to get decent AT&T service anywhere downtown.
    AT&T's HSPA+ market is very scarce compared to T-Mobile.
    08-04-11 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD