I've rolled out 19 9930's, upgrading a portion of our BB fleet in mid October. Starting a few weeks ago the bricking started, and just today another 2 employees woke up to the red blinking brick. Perhaps these phones have an abundance of holiday spirit and are attempting to mimic Christmas trees, but this red blinking light has now struck 21% of these new phones at my job.

Anyone know the official body count on these?
    12-27-11 11:17 AM
    We've rolled out over 250 bold 9900s here. Not a single defective device. We send one back for a physically cracked screen and one that a user dropped in the toilet.

Otherwise zero build related issues.
    cooljatt18 likes this.
    12-27-11 11:22 AM
    I'm guessing that it must have something to do with software config on the device, or certain apps that can attribute to the cause...but I can't see the correlation as of yet.
    12-27-11 11:44 AM
    Interesting, maybe it's more of a carrier specific issue, or more specifically an issue related to the OS releases each carrier has been rolling out. We're on Verizon Wireless and I've had the issue on the original OS as well as the release/update that came out a month or so ago.
    12-27-11 11:45 AM
    One of the devices that failed today actually had a couple of SOS type red lights over the last couple of weeks, which were resolved by pulling the battery, but I felt I had to give the employee the bad news, preparing them for the inevitable.

Any idea what the SOS blinking is about?
    12-27-11 11:49 AM
    I don't think it's carrier specific. I had one go bad on our BES...on Bell, yet I've had others up and running since day one without an issue. OS version seems to have nothing to do with the problem. I bet RIM knows exactly what causes it, but I guess we'll never know. The have certainly had enough of them come back by now to have determined the root cause...

Also, from what I'm reading here, not every one displaying your symptoms is actually bricked - it appears that some have brought them back to life after hours of repetitive efforts.

How badly do you want to try and revive them?
    12-27-11 11:51 AM
    Also, from what I'm reading here, not every one displaying your symptoms is actually bricked - it appears that some have brought them back to life after hours of repetitive efforts.
    I've seen posts alluding to that as well, but it's just not worth my time to spend hours with each phone on the off chance that one or two can be resuscitated. Time is money, so I've just been calling Verizon to have a replacement sent out and I'm done with it. Let RIM or VZW waste their own time on it.
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 12-27-11 at 12:01 PM.
    12-27-11 11:55 AM
    0 bricks in 4 months, pretty close...
    12-27-11 12:31 PM
    4 out of our 6 9900 units are bricked. We have used RIM forever, some of us back to the RIM 950 days and have never seen this. 4 out of 6, really RIM?
    12-27-11 01:08 PM
    0 bricks in 4 months, pretty close...
    If all you have are some snotty/facetious remarks to add, go do it somewhere else.
    12-27-11 02:33 PM
    im with you fba
    12-27-11 02:50 PM
    I love how the folks that haven't had theirs brick YET like to make like it's user error or not a big deal. If you do a search you'll find at LEAST one new thread everyday about a 9900/9930 bricking, usually 2-3 threads a day. And there are posts of a handful who were previously boasting about their flawless devices, that have had a nuke/brick whatever you want to label it.

It's not acceptable to have this happening to so many devices, and even worse that RIM hasn't said anything else about it, let alone release a fix.

Are BlackBerry users standards so low that they just take random device bricking now? It's kind of pathetic. Someone will post an angry thread about their device nuking or bricking while on vacation and they just get snotty replies about how it"s not really bricked, but nuked because they could just load another OS on it.

That's not the point. The point is it shouldn't happen in the first place. Whoever is perfectly ok with spending $200-600 on a device to have it randomly stop working, possibly losing data, and having to spend time fixing it are really showing how sh1tty RIM has become. They don't expect much from RIM after years of taking their crappy devices and software.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-27-11 at 03:08 PM.
    12-27-11 02:57 PM
    I love how the folks that haven't had theirs brick YET like to make like it's user error or not a big deal. If you do a search you'll find at LEAST one new thread everyday about a 9900/9930 bricking, usually 2-3 threads a day. And there are posts of a handful who were previously boasting about their flawless devices, that have had a nuke/brick whatever you want to label it.

It's not acceptable to have this happening to so many devices, and even worse that RIM hasn't said anything else about it, let alone release a fix.

Are BlackBerry users standards so low that they just take random device bricking now? It's kind of pathetic. Someone will post an angry thread about their device nuking or bricking while on vacation and they just get snotty replies about how it"s not really bricked, but nuked because they could just load another OS on it.

That's not the point. The point is it shouldn't happen in the first place. Whoever is perfectly ok with spending $200-600 on a device to have it randomly stop working, possibly losing data, and having to spend time fixing it are really showing how sh1tty RIM has become. They don't expect much from RIM after years of taking their crappy devices and software.
    Amen!! thank you for standing up for us bricked folks with a useless 600 dollar phones
    12-27-11 03:11 PM
    Sure. I'm waiting to upgrade because of it. I really do want a newer device, the 9930. But no way do I want the stress associated with a possible random brick. I don't have time for that.

I have to say, I had zero bugs like this on my Android...
    12-27-11 03:19 PM
    i had to buy the 9810 just to keep my bbm addiction alive. However on the android note i happen tobe playing with my friend's samsung and i was impressed.
    12-27-11 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD