Ok, so I have the Bold 9930. In the right hand corner it displays 3G w/ the blackberry symbol, not the 1xev. I was told, that this phone will not pick up 4G, is that true and why?
    Thanks in advance
    Barb
    09-08-11 07:45 PM
    This is depend on the service provider and what the service provider define as 3G or 4G. On my Telus for example, it reads H+ with the Blackberry symbol. This is considered as 4G by some companies. But Telus call this 3.5G, therefore my Bold 9900 on Telus H+ network is 3.5G. But some service providers may consider H+ as a 4G.

So.. this is based on which service provider you are with and what speeds they provide you. My friends in Europe with 3G connections seems to have faster download speeds than mine with H+ connection on Telus Canada. I have no idea why, but what is considered as 3G or 4G is questionable.
    09-08-11 08:09 PM
    Ok, thanks. I guess i don't need to worry about it then. The phone works great and I love it, so why complain, right? BTW, I am with Sprint.
    09-08-11 08:15 PM
    CDMA providers like Sprint and Verizon have 4G LTE, which requires specific hardware in the devices. GSM providers like ATT/Tmobile for example utilize the same frequencies for "4G" as they did with "3G" so GSM (9900) bolds have the H+

as stated earlier, GSM H+ isnt as fast as LTE (yet)
    09-09-11 10:10 AM
    I have 4G TMo and I don't think it is any faster than 3G. I try to just use wifi when web browsing.
    09-09-11 10:44 AM
    This is depend on the service provider and what the service provider define as 3G or 4G. On my Telus for example, it reads H+ with the Blackberry symbol. This is considered as 4G by some companies. But Telus call this 3.5G, therefore my Bold 9900 on Telus H+ network is 3.5G. But some service providers may consider H+ as a 4G.
    Actually TELUS officially calls their H+ network 4G not 3.5G.

GSM providers like ATT/Tmobile for example utilize the same frequencies for "4G" as they did with "3G" so GSM (9900) bolds have the H+
    This is not accurate. AT&T and T-Mobile do not use the same frequency for 3G or 4G, that's why if you run an AT&T, Rogers, Bell or TELUS 9900 on T-Mobile you'll only get 2G.
    09-09-11 11:03 AM
    IMO, 4G on ATT and 3G on Verizon is pretty much the same speed.
    09-09-11 11:40 AM
    No way TMo "4G" is comparable with Verizon. I have a VZ 9930 and on mobilespeedtest.com I do not get to 1MBps, my wife had a TMo 9900 for a week and on that same website I was getting from 1.2 to 8MBps.
    The problem with TMo's 4G service is that is not steady, that is why my wife ended up switching to VZ with me.

I prefer VZ's slower but much more reliable 3G.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 12:23 PM
    "3G" and "4G" are not technical terms they are simply marketing terms. Under ideal conditions HSPA+ is faster than 3G but can't hold a candle to Verizon's LTE. HSPA+ can be ramped up to reach LTE speeds but it's not going to happen. AT&T has already started the process of going to LTE. Sprint's "4G" is WiMax which has been a disaster. Sprint has also started the process of moving to LTE.

T-Mobile's 4G is pathetic from what my friends who have it tell me. Tmo also stretches the truth the most of any carrier by a wide margin. They are claiming the 9900 is the first BlackBerry 4G handset which is total BS. If the merger goes through all Tmo customers will have to get new equiptment because although they are also on HSPA+ they use different frequencies than AT&T and would only be able to get Edge.

At this point Verizon got it right by going with LTE. The trade off for those amazing download speeds is it sucks the battery dry because the device needs a separate LTE chip right now. Once they don't need a separate chip hopefully BB will start coming out with LTE devices.
    09-09-11 12:54 PM
    "3G" and "4G" are not technical terms they are simply marketing terms. Under ideal conditions HSPA+ is faster than 3G but can't hold a candle to Verizon's LTE. HSPA+ can be ramped up to reach LTE speeds but it's not going to happen. AT&T has already started the process of going to LTE. Sprint's "4G" is WiMax which has been a disaster. Sprint has also started the process of moving to LTE.

T-Mobile's 4G is pathetic from what my friends who have it tell me. Tmo also stretches the truth the most of any carrier by a wide margin. They are claiming the 9900 is the first BlackBerry 4G handset which is total BS. If the merger goes through all Tmo customers will have to get new equiptment because although they are also on HSPA+ they use different frequencies than AT&T and would only be able to get Edge.

At this point Verizon got it right by going with LTE. The trade off for those amazing download speeds is it sucks the battery dry because the device needs a separate LTE chip right now. Once they don't need a separate chip hopefully BB will start coming out with LTE devices.
    If/when this happens I will switch to Verizon. I hate everything about AT&T!! Plus I don't need fast speeds since the BB is not that great of an experience anyways.
    09-09-11 12:57 PM
    I wouldn't say "pathetic" but spotty. Make no mistake, H+ IS 3.5G, however the speeds are riculously fast compared to 3G, even faster than WiMax (compare TMo with Sprint right now).
    In any case HSPA+ is only temporary, WiMax and LTE are the new technologies that will support a lot faster speeds.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-09-11 01:25 PM

This is not accurate on several levels.

1st 3G and 4G and not purely marketing terms, they are defined by the International Telecommunications Unions (ITU), based on technical specifications of the network.

And the clarify, originally no current network was able to be defined as "4G" - including H+, LTE and WiMax. The ITU later modified it's definition to include these networks.

Furthermore, H+ has already been "ramped up" to reach LTE speeds. It known as Dual Channel HSPA+ (or DC H+), and is currently live on TELUS' network. The Samsung Galaxy S2 X is their 1st device that runs on it. DC H+ has actual speeds that reach into the lower realm of what LTE can achieve (again, this is actual, not theoretical).

On top of that DC H+ is more reliable than current LTE implementation and won't suck your battery dry nearly as fast!
    11-13-11 10:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD