My 9930 has been lasting 3 days on a charge with low-moderate use. This morning on a fully charged battery, went the doctors office which has terrible reception. Phone was showing 1X most of the time. In a matter of 3 hours, battery went from full charge to 40%.

i realize this is not ground breaking news, but I am surprised by how big of a difference a strong signal and weak signal make on the battery life.
    12-02-11 07:14 PM
    The device must have been off when not in use to get 3 days with no apps and screen brightness at 10%. Were you dowloading something and forgot to close something?
    12-02-11 07:21 PM
    If the issue persists, get a new battery.
    12-02-11 07:22 PM
    The point is that when the reception is bad, the radio drains the battery quickly. There's nothing wrong with battery or phone. I think? Now that I'm back to 5 bars of signal, battery is back to very very slow drain.
    12-02-11 07:30 PM
    My 9930 has been lasting 3 days on a charge with low-moderate use. This morning on a fully charged battery, went the doctors office which has terrible reception. Phone was showing 1X most of the time. In a matter of 3 hours, battery went from full charge to 40%.

i realize this is not ground breaking news, but I am surprised by how big of a difference a strong signal and weak signal make on the battery life.
    In the LA area Verizon had a down tower due to the terrible winds. I was in the same boat. I was getting a 29% discharge rate, but today its all good.
    12-02-11 08:28 PM
    Good catch. I should have realized the area signal reception might be a cause but still three days?
    12-02-11 08:34 PM
    Good catch. I should have realized the area signal reception might be a cause but still three days?
    3 days is not being used much. I'm on BES so I've got emails coming in all day, but I don't answer many from BB. Also about 6 calls incoming per day but only a min or two. Normally , I charge every night so I usually don't get below 30%. But I tested a few times to see how i could go before I get below 10%. I was trying to see if that whole drain the phone and charge all night would brick my 9930. It doesn't.
    12-02-11 08:45 PM
    Nokia AC-6U Charger, if you want better battery life grab one from Google or Amazon.
    12-02-11 08:54 PM
    I had the extended battery for my 9650 which gave me 3 days of heavy usage. I was driving through some boon dock hill towns in New Hampshire and it was constantly searching for a signal. After just 2 hours of the this the battery needed to be charged from a full charge. Searching for signal or intermittent signal kills the battery because once it finds signal it has to reconnect to all of BB's services. Doing that over and over kills the battery also.
    12-02-11 08:54 PM
    My old curve would completely discharge it self if left idle in a bad signal area. We would go skiing and by lunch it would be dead. I finally learned to shut it off when we went up to the mountains.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-11 08:56 PM
    Nokia AC-6U Charger, if you want better battery life grab one from Google or Amazon.
    Interesting. can someone explain this?
    12-02-11 08:57 PM
    Sorry but how you charge a lithium-ion battery has little to do with battery life.

The so-called miracle charger that promises to prolong battery life and methods that pump extra capacity into the cell do not exist here. Li-ion is a clean system and only takes what it can absorb. Anything extra causes stress.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Charging it too fast will over time lessen it's life though. The standard OEM charger for the 99xx puts out 5v at 700mAh which is exactly what your battery should be charging at.
    12-02-11 09:02 PM
    Interesting. can someone explain this?
    I assume slower charger and thus better life? Can olblueyez please explain also

- Charles
    12-02-11 09:12 PM
    Sorry but how you charge a lithium-ion battery has little to do with battery life.

The so-called miracle charger that promises to prolong battery life and methods that pump extra capacity into the cell do not exist here. Li-ion is a clean system and only takes what it can absorb. Anything extra causes stress.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Charging it too fast will over time lessen it's life though. The standard OEM charger for the 99xx puts out 5v at 700mAh which is exactly what your battery should be charging at.
    I don't think you read the whole article.

It does matter how fast you charge Li-ion.
    12-02-11 09:29 PM
    my dakota only last for 5-8 hours for super heavy duty used (8 email accounts, incoming and outgoing calls, sms, tethering (using 7.1 leaked right now), BBM, MMS, SMS, gtalk, YM, browsing, download email attachment, streaming).

but right now, I use high capacity battery (3900 mAH), and end up within 12-18 hours/day.
    12-02-11 09:37 PM
    my dakota only last for 5-8 hours for super heavy duty used (8 email accounts, incoming and outgoing calls, sms, tethering (using 7.1 leaked right now), BBM, MMS, SMS, gtalk, YM, browsing, download email attachment, streaming).

but right now, I use high capacity battery (3900 mAH), and end up within 12-18 hours/day.

Can you look at your usage in the application management app and tell me how many hours of idle time and how many hours of usage you have when using the high capacity.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-03-11 10:10 AM
    The point is that when the reception is bad, the radio drains the battery quickly. There's nothing wrong with battery or phone. I think? Now that I'm back to 5 bars of signal, battery is back to very very slow drain.
    I agree. Last week I was at the Michigan - ohio st game and amungst 114,000 strong my battery, for the first time drained by over 50% during that game...it was on 1x most of the time.

Good news is, Michigan won - Go Blue!!
    12-03-11 11:50 AM
    My impression is that the bad signal effect is worse on the 4G radio than it was on the 3G radio of my 9780. Maybe the 4G signal is inherently harder to maintain, but in any event I noticed the same thing on the Android LG G2x. Bad reception wastes battery, but seems to be worse with 4G.
    12-03-11 12:01 PM
    This is day 3 with my 9900. I'm at home, with good reception. I haven't used the phone much. Battery consumption has been at about 4.6%/hour all morning. It doesn't seem to matter much whether I put it on wifi, 4G, or 2G here. I consider that a high rate of battery drain for a phone that's mostly been sitting there doing nothing.

But it's only the 3rd day. Judging by the experience of many others here, it may improve.

I have all "polling" apps set to "never", i.e., manual refresh when I start the app, with the exception of BeWeather, which refreshes hourly.
    12-04-11 01:04 PM
    I'm in a similar situation. The building I spend most of my time in is pretty new, and the insulation is so effective at retaining temperature that it also seems to block the frequency range that Verizon's 3G uses.

FYI, I've had much improved battery life (compared to the Verizon .374 OS) with this 374/540 hybrid build, courtesy of mike_augie and OpensourceBB.
    12-04-11 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD