Friends,

I really want to know what would be the advantages / dis-advantages with screen size 2.8" against Torch's 3.2"

I liked the 3.2" display of Torch. I think its necessory to have that kind of screen size when you want to enjoy touch screen phones but the difference between these two phone screens is not much. The new Bold 9900/9930 looks stunning and I love its form factor.

Just curious to know your expert opinions.

Thanks
    05-08-11 07:29 AM
    It will seem like more difference than you think when you lay your hands on it. It depends on your use, but for me the keyboard is more important than a slightly larger screen. You will be more cramped and have to move around a page more, but with a touch screen that is not difficult.
    05-08-11 07:56 AM
    for me, it comes down with the location of the trackpad.
    now with the torch, it's way down there.. compared to a Bold 9780 or the Bold touch where it's in the middle.

if you only own a smartphone, i'd say go for the torch or torch 2.
    but if you have a tablet whether it's 7 or 9.7 or 10.1 inch, then go for the bold touch.
    05-08-11 08:01 AM
    Using the 9000 as a comparison, because the 9900 should be very close to that ...
    In Portrait mode, where you'd be doing your typing on the Torch, the screen on the 9000 is wider. 9000 is about 2 1/4" wide, the Torch is a hair shy of 2". Obviously the 9900's screen won't be as tall, but since you read from left to right, I'm thinking it will be a little easier on the eyes.

Where you lose out is comparing to the Torch in landscape mode ... Torch is about 2 1/2" wide that way; but even at that, it's only 1/4" wider than the 9000. Also remember, the 9000's screen is 2.6", and the 9900's will be 2.8", so the difference between it and the Torch will be even less.

Tack onto that the vastly improved screen resolution (640x480 on a smaller screen vs. Torch's 480x360), I think the 9900 is going to be very easy to read and navigate with touch.
    05-08-11 08:33 AM
    i have the Torch and i use the physical keyboard 95% of the time, i therefore enjoy a "taller" screen.

now , my brother who also have the torch prefers to use the virtual keyboard on portrait mode.. where he loses almost half of the screen ( keyboard occupies it).
    05-08-11 09:59 AM
    My very first smart phone was an HTC Touch. It was all touch screen & 2.8" as well. It came with a stylus, but I eventually did away with it and used only my fingers to run it. I'm 6'2" 280lb so I have decent sized hands, bigger people shouldn't have much of a problem with the touch screen.
    Last edited by Imcominboldtouch; 05-08-11 at 11:08 AM.
    05-08-11 10:59 AM
    i dont think it will be the much of a compromise.

RIMM will optimise the OS for use on the smaller screen, and it still has a larger screen than any other BB device other than the torch.

Ill be going from a 4.3" Screen on my HTC to the 2.8" on the Bold, now that is worrying me a little!
    05-08-11 11:05 AM
    I really want to know what would be the advantages / dis-advantages with screen size 2.8" against Torch's 3.2"

I liked the 3.2" display of Torch. I think its necessory to have that kind of screen size when you want to enjoy touch screen phones but the difference between these two phone screens is not much. The new Bold 9900/9930 looks stunning and I love its form factor.
    I think a lot of it comes down to how much you expect to use the touchscreen, with the torch the screen is almost big enough to not use the physical keyboard, whereas with the 9900 it is there to enhance your interaction with the device rather than replacing your existing options.
    Mr Bigs likes this.
    05-08-11 02:02 PM
    Thank you everyone for replying. I'm currently using 8520 from last one year and I'm very happy with its keyboard even though its a entry level device. I was really tempted to switch to Torch when I saw it first because of its screen size. Even after almost a year after Torch launch and despite my friends who are using Torch telling me its giving them some troubles, I was still tempted till last month....And then this phone arrived.

Now, I never had doubt on Torch performance ( most of my friends never even upgraded their phones OS, they only complain) but the fact is I really like Bold form factor and amazing keyboard.

My main use - view/edit excel files a lot, loads of emails / sms, browsing and Facebook. But the main thing is I keep lots of excel files of my work on my phone and I often use them. For excel, I think Bold wide screen would be very handy rather than taller screen ( I know I can use landscape mode but I really hate virtual keyboard while working on excel ) but still feel some temptation for that little extra screen size. I'm little confused.

Please share your views.

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-11 03:18 PM
    My main use - view/edit excel files a lot, loads of emails / sms, browsing and Facebook. But the main thing is I keep lots of excel files of my work on my phone and I often use them. For excel, I think Bold wide screen would be very handy rather than taller screen ( I know I can use landscape mode but I really hate virtual keyboard while working on excel ) but still feel some temptation for that little extra screen size. I'm little confused.

Please share your views.

Thanks.

You need a PlayBook!!!

If that's not an option, and you prefer the physical keyboard over a virtual in landscape (as do I), then I still think your best bet will be the 9900.
    05-08-11 07:51 PM
    I have a torch which I really enjoy. If I were to get a 9900 instead of the Torch 2 I would be concerned with the extra scrolling I would have to do with Social Scope (Twitter/Facebook feeds), contacts and reading emails/texts. I enjoy the longer screen when I use my garmin gps and wouldn't want to go to a shorter but wider screen. I love buying gadgets and would love to get the newer BB coming out, but I have to keep reminding myself to wait for the T2 to come out because I want the longer LCD.
    05-08-11 08:16 PM
    My take is that your phone is not a photo viewer first, it's a text/bbm/email device first, I know that's how I use my device 90% of the time. I'm willing to give up a bigger screen for the 10% of the time I would want to show photos/maps for the improved user experience the rest of the 90% of the time when I'm actually using it as a phone/text/email device.
    05-08-11 08:30 PM
    im pondering how fluid the touchscreen use will be on the 9900. its just too small of a screen to have a touchscreen capability on it. the torch series has the perfect screen size for touchscreen use.so in my book, the torch 2 is a clear winner. but what the bold has the torch doesn't is that luxurious physical keyboard. so both the 9900 and the torch 2 have their shortcomings.for me,its those deciding factors.
    05-08-11 08:50 PM
    My take is that your phone is not a photo viewer first, it's a text/bbm/email device first, I know that's how I use my device 90% of the time. I'm willing to give up a bigger screen for the 10% of the time I would want to show photos/maps for the improved user experience the rest of the 90% of the time when I'm actually using it as a phone/text/email device.
    That's pretty much my position, but...

im pondering how fluid the touchscreen use will be on the 9900. its just too small of a screen to have a touchscreen capability on it. the torch series has the perfect screen size for touchscreen use.so in my book, the torch 2 is a clear winner. but what the bold has the torch doesn't is that luxurious physical keyboard. so both the 9900 and the torch 2 have their shortcomings.for me,its those deciding factors.
    ... I can also understand where you're coming from. I completely agree, the deciding factor will be more screen real estate vs. the best mobile keyboard on the planet. And that will all come down to personal use and preference.
    05-08-11 09:19 PM
    I'm glad it is a 3.2'' screen. More real estate...
    05-08-11 11:33 PM
    Copying and pasting this from another thread:

I actually made a comparison image of the Torch screen (grey) compared to the Bold Touch screen (black). All together, the bold screen is around 85% of the size of the Torch screen, which really isn't that big of a deal to me.

I cropped the actual screens from this picture:

Source.
    Krack likes this.
    05-09-11 12:11 AM
    You need a PlayBook!!!

If that's not an option, and you prefer the physical keyboard over a virtual in landscape (as do I), then I still think your best bet will be the 9900.
    You are right buddy but Playbook will not be option even though its a awesome device. I don't want to carry too many gadgets with me as I'm constantly on the move. When I'm at my office in my own town or at hotel in the night when travelling I have my good old laptop to work with excel. I need my phone to view excel files most of the times not to edit which I'm doing with my 8520 now. All I need is better view of those excel files. I have tested excel with Torch and its really helpful to use that screen for better viewing.

And yes, as you rightly guessed, I need good physical keyboard to work for my mails and sms's. I'm leaning towards 9900 but if Torch 2 comes out with better keyboard.... Hmmmm .... Tempting...

05-09-11 12:43 AM
    The 2.8 screen might be smaller but it's a constant size as there's no need for am virtual keyboard.

05-09-11 04:33 AM
    The 2.8 screen might be smaller but it's a constant size as there's no need for am virtual keyboard.
    That's a good point, anytime you have to enter text on a full touch screen it becomes a much smaller screen due to the virtual keyboard, of course the Torch gets around that nicely with the slide out keyboard...hmmm tough decisions! I think it will come down to how much better/more portable the much slimmer Bold will feel in my hand when I try it...and how well I can read webpages on the Bold, same # of pixels but smaller text.
    05-09-11 07:25 AM
    That's a good point, anytime you have to enter text on a full touch screen it becomes a much smaller screen due to the virtual keyboard, of course the Torch gets around that nicely with the slide out keyboard...hmmm tough decisions! I think it will come down to how much better/more portable the much slimmer Bold will feel in my hand when I try it...and how well I can read webpages on the Bold, same # of pixels but smaller text.
    That's exactly I'm getting tempted of. The slide out keyboard. Its a huge advantage on a touch screen phone of that size. And If they improve it on Torch 2, it would be difficult for me to choose from the both. On the other end, Bold's higher resolution & RAM with that fantastic keyboard is attracting me a lot.

Selecting one over other....Tough decision its going to be...

05-09-11 11:00 AM
    Best Partner for Your Business - Galaxy Pro B7510 - Touch Phone - Mobile Phone | SAMSUNG

I played with Samsung Galaxy Pro B7510 yesterday for about 2-3 mins. It has a touch screen of 2.8" but the resolution is very low. I didn't know the exact screen size of it until i read its specs on the net today.

I wish to play with it once again in detail to get the overall feel of 2.8" touch screen. It might give me the rough idea about how touch screen will feel on Bold Touch.

Anyone tried this phone ??
    06-05-11 03:18 AM
    I honestly like the look of the droid pro. I was hoping rim would change it up a bit and go down that path. (now don't start saying that I should just get the droid then because I dislike android's OS, I'm strictly speaking about how the hardware looks).

Monaco looks good too, but nobody knows anything about it, and the bold has always been the flagship blackberry with the most amount of time and money spent on making it great (or so it seems), plus since getting rid of my Storm2 a couple of months back ive gotten used to the 9650's keyboard and am typing much faster and more accurately than i did with the S2's surepress touchscreen.
    06-05-11 04:33 AM
    for me, it comes down with the location of the trackpad.
    now with the torch, it's way down there.. compared to a Bold 9780 or the Bold touch where it's in the middle.

if you only own a smartphone, i'd say go for the torch or torch 2.
    but if you have a tablet whether it's 7 or 9.7 or 10.1 inch, then go for the bold touch.
    i agree, with the playbook, you don t need his large screen but a physical keyboard
    06-05-11 08:45 AM
    Wish Kevin could put detailed comparison of the screens 2.8" (99xx) Vs 3.2" (98xx) in user experience perceptive....

Kevin, if you could do this, I'm sure, lot of people here would be thankful to you just like me. It’s definitely one of the deciding factor to choose between these two mighty phones.
    08-08-11 10:09 AM
    Honestly, if Web Browsing, Multimedia, and Gaming are your priorities, the 2.8" screen will feel very cramped. In my opinion, since I value the above-mentioned aspects of a device second to Email/Messaging, it feels right. The higher DPI of the 2.8" will more than make up for the loss in in screen size, since it will be easier to see text that is smaller.

Those of us that may not have eyes as good, the 3.2" will definitely make a big difference.
    08-08-11 10:14 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD