If the Torch actually upgraded more than its internals, i'd consider it. But it looks like RIM just took the first Torch and changed the colour. It's still bulky, the keyboard appears to be the same flattened one from the first version. It doesn't even have the lit-up trackpad like the others.
    08-08-11 10:20 AM
    If the Torch actually upgraded more than its internals, i'd consider it. But it looks like RIM just took the first Torch and changed the colour. It's still bulky, the keyboard appears to be the same flattened one from the first version. It doesn't even have the lit-up trackpad like the others.
    Yes. That was the main reason I choose not to go with Torch 1 when it was launched. Its keyboard. But 3.2" size is so tempted even for regular mails, excel files, social network apps like facebook etc. Which I use more. Definitely its a heaven for multimedia and web. Lighted trackpad is secondary for me but keyboard... yes its important.

And now, Torch 2 on those steroids.... definitely its going to be very difficult for a person like me who is jumping from 8520 and confused between these two.

Really need that comparison.
    08-08-11 11:30 AM
    It's more than the screen size. Weight plays a big factor and that small keyboard on the torch. It was a nightmare so I returned it. 9900 all the way! But I did hear that women will prefer 3.2 inches vs 2.8.... Size does matter when your already that small lol!
    08-08-11 11:59 AM
    I was on a WebOS kick for awhile and used a palm pixi for a few months which has a 2.63 inch screen. Honestly the touchscreen worked great and while there are obvious advantages to having a larger screen... in my eyes you just can't beat the form factor fo the bold. Having a full keyboard always there without having to slide anything around is worth more to me than a tad larger screen.
    08-08-11 01:06 PM
    I'm so undecided its not funny! The bold looks like an excellent phone. I talked to someone thta has had hands on time. He said you really have to get use to the screen... But the keyboard is easily the best he ever used. I'm on tmobile and hoping the 9860 comes out for tmobile. I will have to go and have hands on time with both phones before I make a decision.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 01:25 PM
    I suppose one way to sum it up is thus:

The 9900/9930 will be the traditional Blackberry experience, but enhanced by a touchscreen, whereas the Torch is the full touchscreen experience, but enhanced by the availability of a QWERTY keyboard.

I can't think of a better way to put it.
    08-08-11 01:33 PM
    I think that this is a good comparison of all three (announced) BB OS 7 devices, screem wise. Keep in mind the angle that they are shooting at. The 9900 has a decent sized screen.

YouTube - Full Walk-Through of BlackBerry Torch 9860, Bold 9900, and Torch2 9810

08-08-11 04:40 PM
    Excellent video link Twig978, I hadn't seen that yet! It does really show off the screen size differences well.

Interesting to notice that even though the 9810 and the 9900 have the same 640x480 resolution, the 9900 is showing a 6x3 grid of icons comfortably on the home screen, for a total of 18, while the Torch only shows 4x4 or 16... Seems as though you aren't giving up a tonne of screen usability on the 9900 despite its smaller size, the increased width and high pixel density makes it easy to take in a lot of information.

I'll still test drive both, but as of right now I'm going 9900. The fact that it's much thinner and lighter and has NFC is just icing on the cake, the cake being the best smartphone keyboard ever made, for me.
    08-08-11 05:16 PM
    I suppose one way to sum it up is thus:

The 9900/9930 will be the traditional Blackberry experience, but enhanced by a touchscreen, whereas the Torch is the full touchscreen experience, but enhanced by the availability of a QWERTY keyboard.

I can't think of a better way to put it.
    That's perfect.

08-08-11 09:39 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD