Well talk about safe, that's good news right there.

I remember I owned a Torch back when it first came out on AT&T, but I wasn't currently working in the industry at the time so I have no memory of how emails behaved... all I remember was being constantly in sync with nearly every flipping social network in real time with the notifications... then moving to the iPhone 4 on Verzion, I had a nice big pretty screen, with a nice pretty phone with super sweet Apps that I barely use and texting was a breeze... then life began, jumped into the Industry and even though everyone I work with at the agency has an iPhone 4, they're actually all on the exchange server (reserved for people being there for quite some time under a different email acount) ...i'm sitting there twiddling my thumbs being late to emails and looking like a slacker lol So from the looks of all that you've guys have said, BB is where it's at.
    If work won't let you on the exchange server, how is a BB going to help? The problem is not the phone, its your company.
    08-18-11 10:59 AM
    I have both and my BB and my iPhone both get gmail pushed at the simultaneously. You need to check your iP4 settings. Be aware that BB does not sync properly both ways. Delete on BB syncs to mailbox instantly but the reverse can take hours. Also you can only Archive on a BB not use labels to file.
    Very true. Mail gets pushed to my iPad and BB at the exact same time. If I delete or real the mail on BB, the iPad picks up the change. If I do the reverse, it always seems to take hours.
    08-18-11 11:17 AM
    Hello,

I work at an ad agency as a creative and I my life line is now most certainly emails.

Currently, I work off of an iPhone 4 (on Verizon) and it definitely doesn't push any of my mails unless I setup an exchange server (which I don't have) or setup a secondary gmail account, then proceed to add a google sync'd account, forward the mail from my work email server to the newly made gmail account, begin getting pushed emails and review them under the newly made gmail account mail box, go back to my work account to reply and feel the desire to hang myself. lmao

*takes a breather* My simple question is as follows;

Does the Blackberry take care of incoming emails for you, so you don't have to manually check your inbox. Does it alert you of an incoming email in real-time or does it only check every 5-15-30minute intervals? (My iPhone 4 has the ole' 15-30minutes check intervals but sometimes 15 minutes is far too late.)

Thanks in advance for the help, I greatly appreciate it.
    Sell it and get a real device!
    08-18-11 11:24 AM
    If work won't let you on the exchange server, how is a BB going to help? The problem is not the phone, its your company.
    Because without exchange the iphone can't give you push email, a blackberry can out of the box, any blackberry, even the first ones years ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 11:25 AM
    sorry but my experience is different than what most users are posting.

if your office has exchange with BES (or BESX) then you will get instant email (yes often faster than outlook on your desktop).

BUT if not, you are left with BIS and at least for me with a IMAP account that means typically 10-15 minute delays. (if i'm doing something wrong, i'd love to hear a solution). (note that the delay varies, sometimes it seems as if RIM detects that something is going on and checks my mail box more often, but that could only be imaginary)

and with regards to read/unread syncing, it's only one way, if I read a message on my BB it shows up as read in outlook but if I read it in outlook it does NOT show as read on my BB.

I've gotten used to the limitations, but I must say that for a company that prides itself on the BEST EMAIL EXPERIENCE OUT THERE, beware that only applies to BES, not BIS.

With a real email client, if you are expecting an important email you can always hit send/receive (or whatever is the equivalent in iOS) but with a BB, all you can do is sit there and wait, there is NOTHING you can do to get your email quicker.

see this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...via-bis-37861/

and see this info about syncing: KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

suggestion to RIM: how about a BISX server? let me install software on my server that will monitor my IMAP accounts (for myself or an all users on my mail server) on my schedule and then forward to NOC? how about that? (and that'l take a load off your servers as well)
    08-18-11 11:26 AM

if your office has exchange with BES (or BESX) then you will get instant email (yes often faster than outlook on your desktop).

BUT if not, you are left with BIS and at least for me with a IMAP account that means typically 10-15 minute delays. (if i'm doing something wrong, i'd love to hear a solution). (note that the delay varies, sometimes it seems as if RIM detects that something is going on and checks my mail box more often, but that could only be imaginary)

and with regards to read/unread syncing, it's only one way, if I read a message on my BB it shows up as read in outlook but if I read it in outlook it does NOT show as read on my BB.

I've gotten used to the limitations, but I must say that for a company that prides itself on the BEST EMAIL EXPERIENCE OUT THERE, beware that only applies to BES, not BIS.

With a real email client, if you are expecting an important email you can always hit send/receive (or whatever is the equivalent in iOS) but with a BB, all you can do is sit there and wait, there is NOTHING you can do to get your email quicker.

and see this info about syncing: KB05133-Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

suggestion to RIM: how about a BISX server? let me install software on my server that will monitor my IMAP accounts (for myself or an all users on my mail server) on my schedule and then forward to NOC? how about that? (and that'l take a load off your servers as well)
    Depends on your email provider, mine is 1and1.co.uk and with imap I get instant emails

08-18-11 11:30 AM
    I'm pretty familiar with how the BlackBerry OS works, but I've not seen this on any of my BlackBerry phones. If the emails are pushed by RIM's NOC servers, then how does the spam designation at the PC prevent that same spam message from getting to my BlackBerry?
    With Gmail at least, only "inbox" messages make it to the device. And Yahoo too. Not sure about others.

08-18-11 11:32 AM
    With Gmail at least, only "inbox" messages make it to the device. And Yahoo too. Not sure about others.

Wrong wrong wrong, gmail folders have been accessible since OS5.

08-18-11 11:44 AM

Hey, try the method I have described a few posts above. I had your same issue before, whereas now I get all my messages instantly.
    08-18-11 11:48 AM
    We have an Exchange Server at my office (with no BES) and I setup BIS to use IMAP with SSL and I get my emails almost instantly. However, due to some strangeness with Microsoft Outlook, I will sometimes get a second copy of a message after I reply or forward it from Outlook. Also, it does not replicate any folders. However, I have rules that push my Outlook mail into folders and they still show up on my phone - just not in folders. You don't miss any mail, it just isn't organized like in Outlook.
    08-18-11 11:48 AM
    follow up to my earlier post

it seems that if your IMAP server supports the IDLE command then BIS will give you instant email, but if not, you have to wait 15 minutes. so it seems my mail server does not support that command.

I'm pretty sure gmail does support IDLE so if you have gmail you should receive near instant emails.
    08-18-11 12:22 PM
    I receive my email on my BB before my computer, always!

Same here. Occasionally my co-workers (iPhone users) have problem with their emails get delayed. That never happened to me.
    08-18-11 12:32 PM
    follow up to my earlier post

it seems that if your IMAP server supports the IDLE command then BIS will give you instant email, but if not, you have to wait 15 minutes. so it seems my mail server does not support that command.

I'm pretty sure gmail does support IDLE so if you have gmail you should receive near instant emails.
    Yes, that's correct. Also if you get a lot of succesive emails the time will be shortened to 5 and 10 minutes.

08-18-11 12:32 PM
    Because without exchange the iphone can't give you push email, a blackberry can out of the box, any blackberry, even the first ones years ago.
    BIS can push mail to any BB but it will have a 15 minute delay in polling the mail server in most cases (notable exceptions being gmail & yahoo).
    08-18-11 01:13 PM
    BIS can push mail to any BB but it will have a 15 minute delay in polling the mail server in most cases (notable exceptions being gmail & yahoo).
    Any email provider that supports imap iddle will have instant push on a BB, and more and more do.

08-18-11 01:25 PM
    Wrong wrong wrong, gmail folders have been accessible since OS5.

I am not talking about what is accessible. I know one can remote search and see any folder on Gmail, etc.

I am talking about what the average user will "see" on their device -- that being the inbox emails (ie. not the ones Google flags as SPAM).
    08-18-11 06:26 PM
    OP,

The questions you are asking is exactly WHY I got rid of my blackberry for the iPhone 4.

With gmail, you can setup your iPhone as an activesync account which will push to your phone just like a blackberry. The additional benefit being you can actually see all your folders on your iphone. The blackberry is a nightmare for anything but BES. Most of the time syncing doesn't even work (on gmail read/deletes take 4 hours to sync to your blackberry. No, that's not a joke). Yahoo and any other email account you can only see your inbox. BIS does not push (outside of gmail and yahoo). It polls your email server every 15 minutes looking for email.

I hate to say it, but if you have a microsoft activesync connection, iPhone does email just as good, if not better, than the blackberry. BIS is a joke. Who these days only wants to see their incoming emails without the ability to see the rest of your folders?

If you are connected to a BES server, which is seems like your not, you will get the full sync capability.
    ADGrant likes this.
    08-18-11 07:09 PM
    I don't know what you're talking about. When I had a blackberry, I used to get my work emails instantly. So i'm not sure why you said only gmail and yahoo use push on bb.

With the gmail plugin you do get two way syncing and I don't remember having a problem with it. Then again, its been a while and I might not be remembering correctly.
    08-18-11 07:33 PM
    Thank you, that's great to know. As of right now, we tend to send PDF's to clients very often, and to one another as well which all seem to be around the 1-2mb mark. An update to 10mb max size sounds absolutely perfect and I hope that becomes true.
    One thing here though. BB's suck in comparison to the iPhone at viewing attachments. It's a plodding experience on a blackberry. True viewing and zooming in an out on an iphone is a much smoother experience and the format of the document isn't compressed like it is on a blackberry.
    Last edited by donnation; 08-18-11 at 10:14 PM.
    08-18-11 07:58 PM
    It pushes it directly to your phone. I haven't checked my direct on-computer email since I got my blackberry, unless I needed to send an attachment from my PC:P
    08-18-11 08:28 PM
    exo...tell your friends!!

pythons..hush!!
    08-18-11 09:11 PM
    I don't know what you're talking about. When I had a blackberry, I used to get my work emails instantly. So i'm not sure why you said only gmail and yahoo use push on bb.

With the gmail plugin you do get two way syncing and I don't remember having a problem with it. Then again, its been a while and I might not be remembering correctly.
    Were your work emails sent via BES? Also syncing from gmail to a BB does take about 4 hours.
    08-18-11 09:34 PM
    Well it's a new day, I just woke up and about to head to work. Chances are on my lunch break I'll be heading to the local Verizon store and playing with one of these puppies... then possibly buy one, name it, love it and never look back ever again because I need a tool, not a toy (iP4) :P

Once again, thank you all for your help, I wasn't expecting so many responses and open arms!
    So which BB did you end up with?

08-18-11 11:02 PM
    OP,

The questions you are asking is exactly WHY I got rid of my blackberry for the iPhone 4.

With gmail, you can setup your iPhone as an activesync account which will push to your phone just like a blackberry. The additional benefit being you can actually see all your folders on your iphone. The blackberry is a nightmare for anything but BES. Most of the time syncing doesn't even work (on gmail read/deletes take 4 hours to sync to your blackberry. No, that's not a joke). Yahoo and any other email account you can only see your inbox. BIS does not push (outside of gmail and yahoo). It polls your email server every 15 minutes looking for email.

I hate to say it, but if you have a microsoft activesync connection, iPhone does email just as good, if not better, than the blackberry. BIS is a joke. Who these days only wants to see their incoming emails without the ability to see the rest of your folders?

If you are connected to a BES server, which is seems like your not, you will get the full sync capability.
    This is unfortunately all absolutely true. If your email/calendar is available from a server supporting Exchange Active Sync (such as gmail) and you don't have BES access, an iPhone handles email much better than a Blackberry. Until you have to reply to the email of course, then the BB keyboard is very nice if you have a proper blackberry (why anyone would buy a 9850/60 is another question).
    08-19-11 09:03 AM
    So much misinformation, let's recap.
    First of all do not confuse instant email with push email, any email on a BB is push, instant or 15 minutes
    Yahoo, Gmail, hotmail are instant push
    Any email account that supports imap iddle will be instant push
    Any other email accounts will be 15 minutes push
    Gmail folders are accessibile on BB
    Gmail calendar and contacts sync with a BB, no need for exchange.
    A BB will never check for email, (ie pull email) the NOC server does it.
    A BB can sync contacts with yahoo and hotmail as well.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 08-19-11 at 09:25 AM.
    08-19-11 09:17 AM
80 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD