You can want and talk about all you want from the phone, but don't complain about it because we don't need to hear any moaning and groaning..
    This is an internet forum about cell phones... What did you anticipate online discussion about a product would entail? Only praise, acceptance, and understanding?

You don't, but you can play with it in the store, read lots of reviews (this tab issue was mentioned before the Torch dropped), and know by researching that custom themes aren't available yet.
    Yes, because playing with something in the store gives you the full experience and scope of understanding of something you purchase. Again, are you implying that if we researched these issues in advance, we wouldn't have purchased these phones? That's absolutely not the case....

You also had to sign a contract I'm sure to get that phone. Now you're out of cheap options for any other phones that might come along in the future too.
    Oh no, a contract! I like my carrier, love my monthly plan rate, and have enjoyed my past 2 Blackberry devices (flaws & all)... What was I thinking posting a complaint?

Ummm yea! I'm a college student
    Does that explain the shortsightedness?

Schlitz isn't bad at all, just not really for me...
    It's bad if you value the quality and taste of the beer you consume.... There's a reason you can pick up a 6-pack for $2.99. When you're out of college and have more money to explore better beer offerings, you will understand how low the budget beers rank in terms of quality and why.
    Last edited by wolfgaze; 12-26-10 at 01:18 AM.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    12-26-10 01:14 AM
    Um, again, no. As a matter of fact, my very day job requires that I perform tasks of extreme precision and handle materials and fluids in the order of micrograms and microliters. If I had motor issues, I'm pretty sure they would show up there before anywhere else.

And why is the point being missed here? We've already established that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. The issue here is the lack of OPTION, not whether it is awesomest of all.
    I don't know what you do and I am not trying to insult you. I'm just saying, in my opinion, if you are struggling with maintaining the screen you desire on this OS on the 9780 or 9700, then I think it might be more about you than the phone.
    12-26-10 01:35 AM
    This is an internet forum about cell phones... What did you anticipate online discussion about a product would entail? Only praise, acceptance, and understanding?
    I have no problem with a discussion about how RIM and their phones can improve, but complaining about something that you knew about before purchasing the phone is something I have a problem with. That's shortsightedness to a tee.

Yes, because playing with something in the store gives you the full experience and scope of understanding of something you purchase. Again, are you implying that if we researched these issues in advance, we wouldn't have purchased these phones? That's absolutely not the case....
    I never said it did, in fact, I said, "it don't" I also stated that doing some research on it would give you a better understanding of it. I don't doubt that you would have still purchased it, but maybe you wouldn't be complaining about it then.

Oh no, a contract! I like my carrier, love my monthly plan rate, and have enjoyed my past 2 Blackberry devices (flaws & all)... What was I thinking posting a complaint?
    I have no idea why you posted a complaint when you knew full well about it before purchasing it, maybe it needs to be one of those flaws to enjoy. You're forgoing any future upgrades by doing that though. What happens when something better comes along? Oh and a little known fact for you, RIM is slow at releasing and updating their products.

Does that explain the shortsightedness?
    Huh? I gave you your only option on how to fix/alleviate your complaint, and you called it "dumb." Is that the shortsightedness you're talking about? It seems you need to go to college and open your mind a little, work on your reading comprehension too.

It's bad if you value the quality and taste of the beer you consume.... There's a reason you can pick up a 6-pack for $2.99. When you're out of college and have more money to explore better beer offerings, you will understand how low the budget beers rank in terms of quality and why.
    Are you really trying to argue with me about beer now? Talk about dumb posts. This is a cell phone forum dude...
    12-26-10 01:50 AM
    Why its always we (bb users) to make make sacrifies,
    RIM has done s@*# job of porting OS6 on non touch device

RIM must take care about what we like, not their designers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-10 04:37 AM
    I don't know what you do and I am not trying to insult you. I'm just saying, in my opinion, if you are struggling with maintaining the screen you desire on this OS on the 9780 or 9700, then I think it might be more about you than the phone.
    Are you kidding me? Or do you just enjoy stating the obvious and thinking you've cracked a code? Of course it's more about me than the phone. If I'm having a problem with the phone you aren't, then the cause is most likely something specific to me (unless my device is defective of course). But that is exactly the point. WHY is it a problem for me? It's because I use the device mostly for sending messages (amongst other things) FAST, often with one hand. That's been my biggest selling point on the Curve/Bold, and that's why I've had this form factor for several years now. I usually have a few seconds between tasks to read/reply to messages, and these BB's have been perfect for this kind of job. However, when I try to operate with that kind of speed and in that context on the 9780's OS6 stock theme... FAIL. Of course, you can argue that just because >I< have this problem doesn't mean that anything about the phone is problematic. However, when you factor in that THIS is probably the biggest selling point of the Bold over other BB's or even other trade names, you got a problem. Isn't usability the reason most Bold/Curve owners give when they justify why they stick to this form factor over a Torch or an iPhone? Aren't almost half of the 9780 owners complaining about the trays? From what I've seen, it's some significant fraction of them, to say the least. It all depends on what the users are looking for in the phone, and with this particular feature, the Bold is letting ITS kind of users down. Is it the user's fault? NO. Is it the device's fault? Also NO. It's RIM's fault. I don't care how long it takes to write a program, there should've at least been beta support for the 9780 in OS6's themebuilder by now, fullstop.
    12-26-10 10:23 AM
    Yea those trays annoy the **** outa me.
    When you are in a hurry and go over to far its a big **** off......

Ps .
    Phaggots

iphone here i come
    12-26-10 12:29 PM
    Can't stand the trays.

Need theme.

Please RIM, get that TB 6 out.
    12-26-10 12:55 PM
    There are themers waiting to pounce on it. We will have themes soon enough!
    12-26-10 02:38 PM
    Edit: I just want to add that if you do overshoot the icon you're wanting to go to you're obviously doing it wrong. If the trackpad sensitivity is set correctly you won't ever go past that icon. Or just think about what you're doing instead of flailing your finger around on the phone.
    It has nothing to do with doing it wrong, or trackpad sensitivity. I put my 2 most used icons in the top row, one on the left and one on the right. I often scroll to them without looking at my phone. I put my messages on the left and scroll over without worrying about precision or looking at my phone while I do it. At least I used to...now I can't anymore with the dumb extra menus. I can't imagine an instance where I would ever use those.

I also put 2 frequently used icons on the bottom row in each corner...so I can scroll to them without looking. I put Garmin Mobile in the bottom right...so I can scroll to it while driving without looking. At least I used to be able to do that. Yes I sometimes use my phone while I drive.
    12-26-10 02:44 PM
    It has nothing to do with doing it wrong, or trackpad sensitivity. I put my 2 most used icons in the top row, one on the left and one on the right. I often scroll to them without looking at my phone. I put my messages on the left and scroll over without worrying about precision or looking at my phone while I do it. At least I used to...now I can't anymore with the dumb extra menus. I can't imagine an instance where I would ever use those.

I also put 2 frequently used icons on the bottom row in each corner...so I can scroll to them without looking. I put Garmin Mobile in the bottom right...so I can scroll to it while driving without looking. At least I used to be able to do that. Yes I sometimes use my phone while I drive.
    Do you feel better now?

As I stated before, here are your options:

1. Return phone
    2. Wait for RIM to release Theme Builder and/or updated OS
    3. Complain about it
    4. Follow my directions in my "dumbest post of the year" post

Your choice...
    12-26-10 02:58 PM
    Do you feel better now?

As I stated before, here are your options:

1. Return phone
    2. Wait for RIM to release Theme Builder and/or updated OS
    3. Complain about it
    4. Follow my directions in my "dumbest post of the year" post

Your choice...
    You have options too, you know:

1- Continue defending the device/OS against legit criticism of something that's bothering most owners (and will probably be the first thing to go once TB6 comes out)

2- Let people say what they think without enriching them with condescending remarks about how it's all their fault.

Just say'in.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    12-26-10 05:40 PM
    You have options too, you know:

1- Continue defending the device/OS against legit criticism of something that's bothering most owners (and will probably be the first thing to go once TB6 comes out)

2- Let people say what they think without enriching them with condescending remarks about how it's all their fault.

Just say'in.
    Hahah, exactly....
    12-26-10 05:49 PM
    Are those my only options?

Here's the thing, I suggested an option at the beginning of this thread to help alleviate the issue of the OP right now. All it required was adjusting a simple setting, no waiting for RIM to release anything, no returning an otherwise perfect phone.

And what did I get for it? Nominated for "dumbest post of the year" by a few people. I'm sorry for trying to help, it's not my fault if you don't approve of my suggestion. I defended myself from others condensending remarks, I couldn't care less about what you think of RIM and it's products.

The whole issue of trays pisses me off too, but I'm smart enough to not b*tch and moan about it because I knew of the issue before hand and knew that it will take time to fix.

12-26-10 06:22 PM
    Also, can you truthfully tell me that it's not "operator error" to failing to adjust a setting to help alleviate/fix an issue you're having? The OP asked for a setting to remove the trays, well there isn't one yet, so I provided the next best thing.

12-26-10 06:33 PM
    Are those my only options?

Here's the thing, I suggested an option at the beginning of this thread to help alleviate the issue of the OP right now. All it required was adjusting a simple setting, no waiting for RIM to release anything, no returning an otherwise perfect phone.

And what did I get for it? Nominated for "dumbest post of the year" by a few people. I'm sorry for trying to help, it's not my fault if you don't approve of my suggestion. I defended myself from others condensending remarks, I couldn't care less about what you think of RIM and it's products.

The whole issue of trays pisses me off too, but I'm smart enough to not b*tch and moan about it because I knew of the issue before hand and knew that it will take time to fix.

Sure sounds harsh. I wonder why people reacted negatively to such positive contribution from your side. Maybe because you prefaced it with, oidunno, "operator error"? Yeah, most people tend to not appreciate being condescended to, especially on a matter with which they've had some degree of personal experience.

Also, can you truthfully tell me that it's not "operator error" to failing to adjust a setting to help alleviate/fix an issue you're having? The OP asked for a setting to remove the trays, well there isn't one yet, so I provided the next best thing.

Decreasing the sensitivity does mitigate (not alleviate) the sideway scrolling problem, but it also comes at a cost of increased scroll requirement. So it's a trade off, not a solution. With such a trivial matter, most people want a real solution, not a trade off patch-up. Either delay the release of the phone, or speed up the release of TB6 support. But doing the first and slacking on the second is bound to create some dissatisfied customers, tray nuisance notwithstanding. People are annoyed and they want to voice it out, so if you have something helpful, tell it and you will be thanked for it. But telling them it's their fault isn't going to go over well, as you just experienced first hand. I'm sure that in many cases, an argument can be made that the users are being overly whiny or too demanding, but when almost everyone I know with a 9780 has the same complaint, you have to start suspecting that it's not strictly their fault.
    12-26-10 06:34 PM
    But it is their fault for failing to adjust a setting to alleviate the problem. I told it how it is, I have no say in how you take my advice.

Also, I'm not sure what you think the definition of alleviate is but the first definition on Dictionary.com is:

al�le�vi�ate
    [uh-lee-vee-eyt]

-v.t.,
    1. to make easier to endure; lessen; mitigate: to alleviate sorrow; to alleviate pain.

12-26-10 06:46 PM
    But it is their fault for failing to adjust a setting to alleviate the problem. I told it how it is, I have no say in how you take my advice.

Also, I'm not sure what you think the definition of alleviate is but the first definition on Dictionary.com is:

al�le�vi�ate
    [uh-lee-vee-eyt]

-v.t.,
    1. to make easier to endure; lessen; mitigate: to alleviate sorrow; to alleviate pain.

You seem to be intentionally missing the key point here, so I'm going to stop trying to explain it to you.

As for the linguistic bit, you were using "alleviate" interchangeably with "fix", so my point was that it's not a binary thing, and your "fix" isn't a true fix. It's a small improvement which some feel wasn't remarkable, and certainly not worth you telling them it's their fault.

Anyway, good luck.
    12-26-10 07:02 PM
    Finally you give in like wolfgaze so smart-fully did...

Yes, I get your point about that this shouldn't even be an issue, that RIM should have thought about this in advance, looking at RIM's track record you'd be foolish to think that though, but what good does it do to complain about it to a computer and a bunch of people you don't know?

Yea, it probably makes you feel a little better inside, but why not actively do something about it. Help alleviate/mitigate/patch/fix, whatever you want to call it, the problem until something better comes along. Not doing that is user error, doesn't matter how you look at it.

I'm not really sure what you're wishing me luck for, I have zero need for any, I've got it figured out (adjusted my horizontal sensitivity for the time being). I'm not sure how "a small improvement which some feel wasn't remarkable" qualifies as "the dumbest post of the year" though... A small improvement is a whole lot better than nothing for the time being, isn't it?

So good luck to you in your fight against ignorance and lack of common sense, it seems you need some help in that department...
    12-26-10 07:18 PM
    LOL. Ok...

Seems like stranger99 had it right...
    ridesno159 likes this.
    12-26-10 07:23 PM
    I logged on tonight specifically b/c I was being annoyed all to **** by these OS6 themes - and I find this silly thread.

They annoy the **** out of me. I'll go back to my 9700 on OS5 if themes don't start to flow soon.
    12-26-10 09:51 PM
    Finally you give in like wolfgaze so smart-fully did...

Yes, I get your point about that this shouldn't even be an issue, that RIM should have thought about this in advance, looking at RIM's track record you'd be foolish to think that though, but what good does it do to complain about it to a computer and a bunch of people you don't know?

Yea, it probably makes you feel a little better inside, but why not actively do something about it. Help alleviate/mitigate/patch/fix, whatever you want to call it, the problem until something better comes along. Not doing that is user error, doesn't matter how you look at it.

I'm not really sure what you're wishing me luck for, I have zero need for any, I've got it figured out (adjusted my horizontal sensitivity for the time being). I'm not sure how "a small improvement which some feel wasn't remarkable" qualifies as "the dumbest post of the year" though... A small improvement is a whole lot better than nothing for the time being, isn't it?

So good luck to you in your fight against ignorance and lack of common sense, it seems you need some help in that department...
    Give in? What more is there to say on this subject matter? RIM hasn't fixed this yet or given us themes that address it. Sorry I don't believe in holding never-ending internet discussion forum grudges. But since you're still in college you probably have a lot of time for that.
    12-26-10 10:11 PM
    Right. So anyway, they are annoying because every time you try to reach an icon that's on the rightmost or leftmost position, there's a fair chance that you will accidentally slide out into the nearby tray. And when your icon is within a folder under the "All" tray, you need to scroll back to the All tray, click back on the folder you were in, and then scroll towards your icon. That's three extra corrective moves every time this happens. If you use your BB as much as I do, it can get pretty tedious FAST. I really like my Bold, but I think my experience will be 100% improved when I get rid of all the trays.

Unfortunately, all we can do for now is sit and wait it out meanwhile RIM gets off its *** with theme builder 6.

Did you try reducing the trackpad sensitivty? Im running it at 70, and I don't have a problem sliding into the neighboring trays unless I want to.
    12-26-10 10:16 PM
    another option-
    Smash the piece of junk.
    I too cant stand the trays>
    forgot that option Capt obvious
    12-26-10 11:41 PM
    I logged on tonight specifically b/c I was being annoyed all to **** by these OS6 themes - and I find this silly thread.

They annoy the **** out of me. I'll go back to my 9700 on OS5 if themes don't start to flow soon.

With all my respect alex, this is not a SILLY Thread as you mentioned, I was just trying to seek help from this forum.
    12-27-10 10:06 AM
    With all my respect alex, this is not a SILLY Thread as you mentioned, I was just trying to seek help from this forum.
    This thread certainly wasn't 'silly' when you started it sherif... but unfortunately thanks to certain members, that's the way it's ended

12-27-10 10:37 AM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD