Hi!

I'm moving somewhere rural where Verizon is the most reliable carrier. I'm currently on AT&T using a Bold 9780. I know GSM phones used not to work on CDMA networks, but the internet is telling me conflicting things about compatibility since the advent of 4G, e.g. that using an unlocked AT&T phone on Verizon is now possible. But that may only be for 4G phones, or it may be completely untrue.

Will a GSM 3G phone now work on Verizon? If not, what was the CDMA equivalent to the 9780? The 9650?
    04-08-19 04:00 PM
    Will a GSM 3G phone now work on Verizon?
    No.

If not, what was the CDMA equivalent to the 9780? The 9650?
    Close enough.
    04-08-19 05:32 PM
    Hi!

I'm moving somewhere rural where Verizon is the most reliable carrier. I'm currently on AT&T using a Bold 9780. I know GSM phones used not to work on CDMA networks, but the internet is telling me conflicting things about compatibility since the advent of 4G, e.g. that using an unlocked AT&T phone on Verizon is now possible. But that may only be for 4G phones, or it may be completely untrue.

Will a GSM 3G phone now work on Verizon? If not, what was the CDMA equivalent to the 9780? The 9650?
    I read somewhere, if I remember correctly, that Verizon will no longer permit you to activate a new (to you) 3G phone on your account. I think @idssteve is on Verizon and could verify.
    04-08-19 10:26 PM
    @Shuswap is right about that, Verizon has been refusing to activate "new" cdma-3g stuff for quite a few months, now. Existing activations are still functioning fine (till year end??) but my company has tried to replace damaged 9930s and 9650s with "new" replacements and no-go.
    Personally, I tried, in a fit of rush, to activate a temporary replacement for this 9930 after damage, some months back... Something I've done on-line so many times it's almost embedded in muscle memory. Lol. VZW refused to activate the "new" 9930 replacement. And allowed that had I successfully de-activated existing, it would no longer re-activate. This old friend (Agent99) got a new KB and display and battery cover and she's now well dressed for her final months... As a pre-existing activation.

Another personal experience with my elderly father's beloved 9650. As he puts it, he's "too old and shaky to be in the same room with touchscreens...". Haha. His 9650 was un-repairable and identical replacement was refused activation on VZW. He's now bemoaning an awful flip phone of some sort. 9650 was about the last of non-touch qwerty. Had his choice of quite a few "dumb phones" but NO non-touch qwerty... What are "shaky" folks supposed to do? Lol.

IDK how VZW would treat 4G ATT devices at this point...??? Interesting to ponder if my 4G ATT Passport, for example, might now be "made" to work on VZW??? IDK... I did hear about a 4Glte-3G CDMA Classic that a coworker had de-activated and then it was refused activation but don't know ANY details so... fwiw.

I'd historically ask my "smart guys" about such things but they've got their hands full directing teams of their own, these days. Expansion, ya know... Lol. If ATT coverage could challenge VZW in locales we frequent, we'd already be on ATT. VZW has repeatedly been heavy handed AND too tight lipped. A frustrating combo when working to serve our clients. In the end, tho, coverage carries the day...

Last edited by idssteve; 04-09-19 at 06:31 AM.
    04-09-19 05:36 AM

9650 is what I last used in the BBOS line, the 9930 was the updated version that ran BBOS7. But I really loved the 9650 size and keyboard better.

But as others have stated, it's a moot point now.... If you really need a keyboard, I'd suggest that you skip the BB10 options (they have their own upcoming issues) and go straight to a KEY2 LE.
    04-09-19 08:07 AM
    Hi again,

Thanks very much, all. I figured it wasn't going to work, but now at least I know not even to try a "new" old Bold replacement.

I never upgraded beyond the 9780 because of the size and great keyboard combined. It was perfectly sized and I don't watch videos or really do anything that requires a big display. As for alternatives, am I understanding correctly that any unlocked 4G phone will work with Verizon now?
    04-09-19 02:02 PM
    As for alternatives, am I understanding correctly that any unlocked 4G phone will work with Verizon now?
    No. It must be an approved by Verizon and compatible device. They will NOT activate just any phone.
    04-09-19 02:10 PM
    So I pick some potentials and check with Verizon for compatibility? Or I'm limited to what they directly offer? Whenever the 9780 was originally released--that's the last time I bought a phone, and I've only ever been with TMobile and AT&T so switching was painless. I'm really not up on the process. Thanks.
    04-09-19 02:20 PM
    So I pick some potentials and check with Verizon for compatibility? Or I'm limited to what they directly offer?
    Pick a device, then you can check here - https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=GtdrFcML Effectively, nothing has really changed with VZW since your 9780 days in that Verizon still has specific requirements that not all GSM devices offer, and you have to seek out a Verizon compatible device.
    04-09-19 02:24 PM
    Okay. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
    04-09-19 02:59 PM
    So I pick some potentials and check with Verizon for compatibility? Or I'm limited to what they directly offer? Whenever the 9780 was originally released--that's the last time I bought a phone, and I've only ever been with TMobile and AT&T so switching was painless. I'm really not up on the process. Thanks.
    Your far better off getting what Verizon offers... if you want painless.

BYOD is doable with Verizon, but full functionality and ease of support aren't part of the package.
    04-09-19 03:41 PM
    Your far better off getting what Verizon offers... if you want painless.

BYOD is doable with Verizon, but full functionality and ease of support aren't part of the package.
    Yep, Verizon gonna Verizon.
    04-10-19 01:54 PM