And how is it different from a free theme? Just wondering...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-10 09:30 AM
    And how is it different from a free theme? Just wondering...

This is in from section me lovey.

Anyway, i personally wouldnt buy a theme.

No im not tight fisted. Any skint person isnt tight fisted haha.

Just im very changy' if i download a theme within a hour it will be back to my default. I dont know why i do it i just do.

Although alot of credit to those creaters who make the themes.

Dont quote me on this, but i see a lot of premium themes on here, that have taken months. With peoper teasers and sometimes even beta testing just to make sure the theme is in good working order for the phone.

~Joe
    01-26-10 09:37 AM
    nothing, just time and effort that's it. I once hosted like 9 free themes but i pulled em all a while ago for my own reasons.

01-26-10 09:37 AM
    I'm a theme freak. I'm not sure if there is a tecchie response to your question - what I find is that the "premium themes" that I've bought in the past have had animation and much richer graphics. Some even comes with tones.

Is that helpful at all?
    01-26-10 09:39 AM
    I'm a theme freak. I'm not sure if there is a tecchie response to your question - what I find is that the "premium themes" that I've bought in the past have had animation and much richer graphics. Some even comes with tones.

Is that helpful at all?
    it is helpful thanks! I am a theme freak myself. I have bought 2 themes, the rest were free. The ones I paid for are nice but some of my free ones I like so much better.

01-26-10 09:47 AM
    I see no sense in buying a theme. I would much rather donate to a theme maker than pay $6+ for a theme. That's just ridiculous.
    01-26-10 09:48 AM
    I got one for the holidays from App World that I still have - some cute little snowmen. Then I went nuts and got a really glitzy butterfly, a heart for Valentines and a girly girl type of theme and I loved all three.
    They were all from App World and about $5ish each. Not a big deal.

Oh, they all have animation.
    01-26-10 09:49 AM
    I see no sense in buying a theme. I would much rather donate to a theme maker than pay $6+ for a theme. That's just ridiculous.
    What do you mean a theme maker?
    01-26-10 09:50 AM
    People who make themes to be creative and for fun. Blackberry has a theme studio you can download to your computer.
    I would make my own themes but my computer sucks and won't download the program.

01-26-10 09:57 AM
    Sorry I should have said donate to THE theme creator instead of A theme maker
    01-26-10 10:13 AM
    There are PLENTY of free themes. NOTHING makes a theme "Premium"... NO... Not going to get in to THAT discussion again.....

Free or Pay themes are made with the same software, same standards. There are Free themers and there are Themers who sell their theme. The Blackberry Theme Builder is a free program ANYONE can down load and use to make their own themes to sell or share for free. Check the Theme section of the Forums, there are plenty of Free themes there. I still hopefully think that there is going to be a change in the theme forum soon that will separate Free and Pay themes. I forget weather the site Mods and Site owner are also going to replace the word "Premium" with Pay or not... But in the term "Premium" only means you PAY for the theme. There are also many free theme sites across the web. Cheap Plug... Try BerryFreeThemes.com My Free Windows 7 theme is Crackberry's Free non touchscreen Theme of the Week! Also, if you do have a touchscreen device, also do check out the touch screen theme of the week, Sophisticate!
    01-26-10 10:15 AM
    There are PLENTY of free themes. NOTHING makes a theme "Premium"... NO... Not going to get in to THAT discussion again.....

Free or Pay themes are made with the same software, same standards. There are Free themers and there are Themers who sell their theme. The Blackberry Theme Builder is a free program ANYONE can down load and use to make their own themes to sell or share for free. Check the Theme section of the Forums, there are plenty of Free themes there. I still hopefully think that there is going to be a change in the theme forum soon that will separate Free and Pay themes. I forget weather the site Mods and Site owner are also going to replace the word "Premium" with Pay or not... But in the term "Premium" only means you PAY for the theme. There are also many free theme sites across the web. Cheap Plug... Try BerryFreeThemes.com My Free Windows 7 theme is Crackberry's Free non touchscreen Theme of the Week! Also, if you do have a touchscreen device, also do check out the touch screen theme of the week, Sophisticate!
    I like the theme of the week plug at the end! lol
    01-26-10 10:20 AM
    I've noticed that several free ones have memory leaks and aren't quite as put together and have some small glitches. Usually premium ones are a little nicer if you buy from a good developer.
    01-26-10 10:22 AM
    allrightythen, mrtolles....sound like a hot topic.

Sorry - I buy something if I like it. Premium, regular, white, black, polka dotted....if it's there and someone is more creative than I am (which is easy considering my absolute failure as a creative person) I buy it.
    If someone can put together some nice graphics and put animation on it and make it fun to look at, I buy it. I know I can't do it myself!!!
    01-26-10 10:24 AM
    Sorry I should have said donate to THE theme creator instead of A theme maker

LOL!!! Yeah, I saw that. I sucked at it!
    01-26-10 10:25 AM
    allrightythen, mrtolles....sound like a hot topic.

Sorry - I buy something if I like it. Premium, regular, white, black, polka dotted....if it's there and someone is more creative than I am (which is easy considering my absolute failure as a creative person) I buy it.
    If someone can put together some nice graphics and put animation on it and make it fun to look at, I buy it. I know I can't do it myself!!!
    Good summary! It is all abot personal thingy.

Only you can tell whether it is worth your money or not.
    01-26-10 10:27 AM
    yup, yup, yup...example - when I buy a car I could care less about the rims, but I go nuts over sound equipment.
    It's all relative.
    01-26-10 10:29 AM
    I've noticed that several free ones have memory leaks and aren't quite as put together and have some small glitches. Usually premium ones are a little nicer if you buy from a good developer.
    I can see what you are saying, but it goes both ways. There are plenty of good developers on BOTH sides and plenty of bad ones as well. There is NO standard for selling a theme. Many pay themes are made for a vast array of devices and are not often tested as well as they should on ALL devices. Free themers however, usually stick to their own device and therefore in MY opinion, have less bugs all in all for the theme set. There is nothing wrong with buying a theme but the Pay theme makers really do want you to think they offer more, and they can, but not always. I make quality free themes.
    01-26-10 10:30 AM
    yup, yup, yup...example - when I buy a car I could care less about the rims, but I go nuts over sound equipment.
    It's all relative.
    Would you buy a car if you could get the same thing for free?

Or lets be more practical. Would you pay for a subscription App that offered no more then the Free version? The Pandora App, offers 2 versions. The Free one and the Subscription one. The Subscription one offers MORE then the pay one. Now yes, with themes you have different developers, but a good free theme and and good pay theme offer nothing extra for you paying for your theme. But really, there are pay themes that may offer the look with this feature and if that's the theme you want, pay for a theme. But, don;t only PAY for a theme because you THINK it is of better quality. That stance is false.
    01-26-10 10:35 AM
    Well, if someone tries to give me a Hummer for free I'd take it and go get myself two Accords. Because I prefer the Accord. So if someone wants to give me several free themes I will take them if I like them, but in the end, if I like a premium or pay theme, I will buy it.
    On the apps, if they're exactly the same, then no, I wouldn't buy one if I can get it free. But I'm thinking.....developers are probably on to that, so it is likely not to happen.

I don't care if it's pay or free - if I like it, I get it. I don't buy it because I think it's better quality, I buy it because it has animation or colors or graphics or whatever that I happen to like - little snowmen that move, or little butterflies that glitter and move.....silly little things. They make me happy. They make me smile. If at this point in my life I can't afford $5 for a glittery butterfly, all those thousands of dollars at university were a huge waste cash and for me a huge waste of time and my Da would be very unhappy.

If I have a couple of coins and I like something, I get it. If I can't pay my bill, I don't buy it. Really, quite simple.
    01-26-10 10:47 AM
    Would you buy a car if you could get the same thing for free?

Or lets be more practical. Would you pay for a subscription App that offered no more then the Free version? The Pandora App, offers 2 versions. The Free one and the Subscription one. The Subscription one offers MORE then the pay one. Now yes, with themes you have different developers, but a good free theme and and good pay theme offer nothing extra for you paying for your theme. But really, there are pay themes that may offer the look with this feature and if that's the theme you want, pay for a theme. But, don;t only PAY for a theme because you THINK it is of better quality. That stance is false.
    I agree. Because themes are all created using the same set of tools it's hard to imagine that themes that cost money are somehow superior to themes that are free. I'm currently using a free theme that FOR ME is better than basically all other free or pay themes. But that is only because it is what I was looking for in a theme.

It all comes down to preference. If you are comfortable paying for a theme, obviously you will. If you, obviously you won't.
    Last edited by TheComebackKidd; 01-26-10 at 10:52 AM.
    01-26-10 10:49 AM
    Well, if someone tries to give me a Hummer for free I'd take it and go get myself two Accords. Because I prefer the Accord. So if someone wants to give me several free themes I will take them if I like them, but in the end, if I like a premium or pay theme, I will buy it.
    On the apps, if they're exactly the same, then no, I wouldn't buy one if I can get it free. But I'm thinking.....developers are probably on to that, so it is likely not to happen.

I don't care if it's pay or free - if I like it, I get it. I don't buy it because I think it's better quality, I buy it because it has animation or colors or graphics or whatever that I happen to like - little snowmen that move, or little butterflies that glitter and move.....silly little things. They make me happy. They make me smile. If at this point in my life I can't afford $5 for a glittery butterfly, all those thousands of dollars at university were a huge waste cash and for me a huge waste of time and my Da would be very unhappy.

If I have a couple of coins and I like something, I get it. If I can't pay my bill, I don't buy it. Really, quite simple.

that's not the point mrT is getting at...

for example there is a Windows 7 theme that is 100% free and works flawlessly on my 9700. but there is a paid vesion. that is exactly the same as the free.

So why would i pay 5.00 for the prem-o when i can get the free one for $0.00

01-26-10 10:51 AM
    You wouldn't. And neither would I.
    No sense in paying for something if you don't need to.
    I've downloaded free themes from this site. And I've bought others from App World.

***wait, I think I lied. I've downloaded free backgrounds from this site. Two Fall backgrounds. I don't recall if I've bought themes.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 01-26-10 at 10:57 AM.
    01-26-10 10:54 AM
    You wouldn't. And neither would I.
    No sense in paying for something if you don't need to.
    I've downloaded free themes from this site. And I've bought others from App World.
    You missing the entire point of our stance.

themes are made using one product : Blackberry's theme creator

Themes are made using the same four tools : 1) Keyboard 2) mouse 3) computer 4) hand

so why do some people feel the need to charge for their themes when other can copy and give them out for free?

01-26-10 10:56 AM
    I bought a theme once and that was it. I was not happy with it. The only way I would buy another one would be to have a test run first. Alot of times what looks nice on the computer isn't nice on a berry.

Just my thoughts.
    01-26-10 11:00 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD