View Poll Results: Should ALL themes be free and kept free! Especially on APP world

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 48.08%
  • No

27 51.92%
02-16-11 11:19 PM
27 12
tools
    Should themes be free?

I see alot of themes especially on blackberry app world, yet they dont look that great, the free themes look and work better. Why should someone pay more than 0.99 or $0.99 for a theme!
    There are people on this site that create fantastic themes for FREE yet some people are charging for it. The free themes sometimes have the option to donate, thats great and some people will donate because the appriate the theme. But why pay for a theme you dont know if its for you!

I think we should abolish the cost of themes and make them free or cheaper! There arent any trials on themes as it wont work, you spend so much for a theme then you realise its crap! and you wasted money.

I dunno how the poll works, but put a yes or no with reason.

For me its a YES!

Say YES to FREE THEMES and NO to paid!
    ayeshasi likes this.
    02-15-11 04:40 PM
    This is an old argument that has it's merits but as long as there are those that are willing to pay for a great theme there will be a price. I agree that some free themes are superior to many premium themes and this is where you draw the line, if you do not want to pay then don't. - Simple.
    02-15-11 04:44 PM
    Do you work for free?

I'm no theme maker, but if I spent hours of my time working something I'd want to be compensated for it.

Nobody is forcing to buy a theme. There's loads of free ones available like you said, so if you don't think spending money on a theme is a good idea, then don't do it. They best way to express your opinion is with your wallet.

I have never purchased a theme, and never will because of the reasons you listed. Sometimes a theme looks good on the computer, but then you hate it when it gets installed. I only use free themes, and then donate to the ones I like.

Themes should be priced at whatever the developer wants...
    02-15-11 04:47 PM
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Themes take time and experience to learn how to write. Coding an svg file is a real art.

Theme writers have bills to pay and some of them have paid for very expensive educations and now have massive debts resulting from that education. These are the people who are likely to produce carefully coded, bug free tightly coded small and efficient svg files.

Anyone, you and me included can write a theme I have done so and I found it hard to do.

If I were doing this for more than 30 minutes a day then I would want tobe paid for my time since I place a value upon my time, education and experience not to mention personal worth.

In my opinion, peoiple who want themes for nothing are just spongers stealing from otheh people's talents.

Therefore wholst I acknowloege the palce in themebuolding for free themes, I am firmly in the camp of themes being payable.

Therefore I vote

NO!
    ridesno159 and Pete6#WP like this.
    02-15-11 04:51 PM
    Do you work for free?

I'm no theme maker, but if I spent hours of my time working something I'd want to be compensated for it.

Nobody is forcing to buy a theme. There's loads of free ones available like you said, so if you don't think spending money on a theme is a good idea, then don't do it. They best way to express your opinion is with your wallet.

I have never purchased a theme, and never will because of the reasons you listed. Sometimes a theme looks good on the computer, but then you hate it when it gets installed. I only use free themes, and then donate to the ones I like.Themes should be priced at whatever the developer wants...
    This is exactly what I would have typed, if I had typed something. :P
    02-15-11 04:54 PM
    You're welcome to make and give away free themes if you choose too. Not sure why everyone should have to...
    02-15-11 05:07 PM
    Does anyone else find it odd that there are 4 votes for "Yes" but the only one who has given a reason for it is the OP?
    02-15-11 05:16 PM
    I will never charge for any theme that I make. I will ask for a small donation for a custom version of it, but never an initial charge. It does take a long time to make them, and it is quite a bit of work, but it is something that I enjoy doing.

I appreciate free stuff, like apps, themes, etc.
    02-15-11 05:29 PM
    I'm not a theme maker but I hear it takes time making a theme. So nothing wrong with charging for the work. I don't mind paying for a great theme. However If I don't like it, I just don't buy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-11 06:47 PM
    Does anyone else find it odd that there are 4 votes for "Yes" but the only one who has given a reason for it is the OP?
    I don;t find it odd at all, although if I were not a confirmed cynic, perhaps I should.

There are always going to be people who want a free ride. They want free themes too. Maybe they want free phone calls and free plane rides as well.

These people are simply takers who contribute little or nothing to our community - I won't go further.
    02-15-11 06:55 PM
    I will never charge for any theme that I make. I will ask for a small donation for a custom version of it, but never an initial charge. It does take a long time to make them, and it is quite a bit of work, but it is something that I enjoy doing.

I appreciate free stuff, like apps, themes, etc.
    Yours is a nice attitude and it is much appreciated. The donation method is highly worthwhile and possibly brings greater satisfaction to the theme writer than a straight up sale becase each individual donation is a personal thank you from each and every donor.

I do not know if you feel this way but I know that I got immense satifaction from the donations I received for CrackMem.

Oh Yes, I have a number of free apps on my phone and the theme I am currently using is a free one but I asked the theme writer (tattooz) to modify it form me and I donated to him specifically for the modifications.
    02-15-11 07:00 PM
    I say no cause alot of people put a lot of hard work into making cool themes. But I myself always go with free themes since I change me theme very often. I also appreciate all the very nice developers that put there themes up for free.
    02-15-11 07:55 PM
    Would you work for free? Think of it that way.

As people have mentioned above, developers work hard on making the best themes they can. Compensation is 100% acceptable,

Next time you're at work, making money..... Imagine how you would feel if your boss came up and says 'I think you should work for free'

02-15-11 08:49 PM
    There are exceptions, but in general, you get what you pay for.

02-15-11 08:49 PM
    Great topic. Good to hear everyone's views. I just started building themes. I do not charge but a little donation for my hard work is appreciated but not required. I actually enjoy making them and look at it as a hobby, not a job. Just my 2 cents.
    02-15-11 08:58 PM
    They're providing a service, they deserve to charge. And if the themes are no good anyway, as you claim, don't buy them, its as simple as that.
    02-15-11 09:35 PM
    Should themes be free?

I see alot of themes especially on blackberry app world, yet they dont look that great, the free themes look and work better. Why should someone pay more than 0.99 or $0.99 for a theme!
    There are people on this site that create fantastic themes for FREE yet some people are charging for it. The free themes sometimes have the option to donate, thats great and some people will donate because the appriate the theme. But why pay for a theme you dont know if its for you!

I think we should abolish the cost of themes and make them free or cheaper! There arent any trials on themes as it wont work, you spend so much for a theme then you realise its crap! and you wasted money.

I dunno how the poll works, but put a yes or no with reason.

For me its a YES!

Say YES to FREE THEMES and NO to paid!
    Of course the theme maker should have a choice. I made a couple of themes that were slight tweaks and orientation changes and those each took more than a day to finish. If you see the quality of themes out there, I can only imagine how hard and long it is. Yes there are free themes that trump the quality of many premium themes, but that's the theme maker's choice, not yours.

02-15-11 09:54 PM
    Well to be honest.... i've been putting out free themes and only 1 premium until now. I do certainly enjoy the fact that people use my theme and do at least drop me a "thank you" to show me that they do appreciate what I do.

I spend a lot of time in making my themes... I can tell you that the amount of time I spend making a theme increases after each theme I release. However, very little people values your time and then you soon realize that those who do bother to say "thank you" are usually the same people and that can be rather discouraging.

I am not taking theming as a job and it's a hobby for me as well.... but when you spend over a month on a theme... I believe it's reasonable to put a price on it because not much people actually sends you a donation... at least that is in my case.... so I put a price tag on the themes that I DO feel like I should be compensated for.

I too believed that all themes should be free before I started theming... but the more I learn about theming, the more I feel a themer deserves to be compensated for the time they invest in theming.
    02-15-11 09:57 PM
    I'm an attorney. My standard rate is $200/hour.

I've got at least 40 hours invested in my leebo theme for OS6, along with all the variations of it.

And I'm still developing and improving it.

I have not recovered my standard fees through donations.

I have always given my themes away. Usually that's because I make them for myself. Plain and simple. If I decide to share them with others, well, that's just being part of a community like crackberry.

With all the requests for variations (and, honestly, after five people asked me if I had a link for donations) I finally decided that I would offer folks a way to show their appreciation.

I don't ask for cash for my themes. But if folks really like my work and want to show their gratitude, then so be it.

I think I may have paid for one theme, long ago. But I'd rather learn more and make exactly what *I* want. It's far more satisfying to me.
    02-15-11 10:29 PM
    I can't work for free. I need to eat, pay rent and buy gas.

Some themes are made for fun and other for sale. To each his/her own.

If I made a theme, I would give it away until I had confidence to sell it. After that, I'd ask for donations.

Anyone who wants all themes toatally free is unrealistic and my advise to them is, write your own if you can and see how you feel about giving your time and creativity away for free.
    02-15-11 10:34 PM
    CrackBerry is a totally different world then compared to XDA, where just about everything is free, and freely shared within the community. It is night and day in comparison, and there are people over there putting out absolutely stunning works of arts for themes, icons, meters, etc.

I wish that it were a little more open here, like it is there, but I don't see that happening.
    02-15-11 10:36 PM
    Before I began to make themes a few years ago, I thought they should be free. But it takes time, from the best themes to the worst ones. Like someone stated, if it's a premium pay if you want it, if not, move on. Some do it as a pastime, but others put a lot of effort and pride into their work. Personally whenever I do themes they are for myself anyway, and when I decide to post, whoever wants can get.
    02-15-11 11:13 PM
    Would you work for free? Think of it that way.

As people have mentioned above, developers work hard on making the best themes they can. Compensation is 100% acceptable,

Next time you're at work, making money..... Imagine how you would feel if your boss came up and says 'I think you should work for free'

Well said

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-16-11 07:37 AM
    CrackBerry is a totally different world then compared to XDA, where just about everything is free, and freely shared within the community. It is night and day in comparison, and there are people over there putting out absolutely stunning works of arts for themes, icons, meters, etc.

I wish that it were a little more open here, like it is there, but I don't see that happening.
    It will take folks like you and I (and many others) who are willing to share freely to bring that kind of spirit to the crackberry community.

I came from the Palm platform (years and years ago) and I always appreciated the relatively free sharing of apps and ideas among developers.

At the time I landed in BlackBerry land, I got the sense that most users were business folks and professionals and therefore, developers saw them as a demographic more likely to plop down cash for anything - no matter how poorly written.

Obviously RIM has now focused on a more casual demographic...I'm hoping devs recognize that and start sharing more freely. Of course, the inclusion of in-app payment methods in AppWorld doesn't exactly bode well for the free exchange of ideas, etc.
    02-16-11 12:15 PM
    While on the topic of free or premium, I'll toss in my two cents. First, I'll bet theme sales are down everywhere. Many of us continued to BUY OS5 themes because we were given no forewarning by Verizon when they would drop OS6 to the general public. Then the very end of January came and OS5 was on the way out. For the most part, many who paid for their themes lost their money. Yes, some theme developers are struggling with Beta software to remodel their themes for use on OS6, but some developers seem to have simply disappeared, or have not acknowledged in the forums that they will be addressing OS6 as soon as they can.

Theme stores are still unclear in their theme advertising. Terms like OS6 ICONS on the ads continue to confuse potential buyers, so they don't buy. The forum is the best source of information right now.

I have seen quite a few outstanding "free" themes. I download and test-drive them. If they are good, I DONATE. If not, I delete them. Unfortunately, too many developers who go the "Donate" route discover that they don't make much money. That's sad. They should be compensated for their efforts if we are going to benefit by those efforts.

In the meantime, it would be nice if the theme stores would sub-divide their themes and apps into OS5 and OS6 offerings to help eliminate confusion. And I applaud the developers who keep us informed of new offerings on these forums.
    02-16-11 05:04 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD