My mother has a Bold 9000. Her device is running OS 4.6, which looks like this:
    http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile...847_3550_n.jpg

When an icon is hovered, it becomes outlined. The icons have a black transparent shading behind them, but it is around the individual icons, not a full bar/rectangle like on my 9700.

http://nelleytimes.files.wordpress.c...-bold-9700.jpg

Is this difference in the theme or the OS? We're both on AT&T, although she is connected to her company's BES, whereas I am on BIS.

Here is another photo showing the difference.
    http://regmedia.co.uk/2009/10/22/bla...bold_9700a.jpg

See how the Bold 9000 on the right doesn't highlight the icons in blue? That's what I want, on my 9700.
    06-18-10 05:20 PM
    No doubt- it belongs to the theme! The higher/newer OS just allows more gimmickry like transitions etc. but if you own a red Porsche, it will look different to a silver one, independent from the engine!
    ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 06:47 AM
    So when shots of the 9700 are shown with the black and white highlighted icons, it's running an older OS? Well, more likely, it's photoshopped.

Is there a way to copy the theme from an old OS?
    06-19-10 06:53 AM
    If you are a theme-developer, you can create and install every layout you want, also the scheme of "old school" themes... Its a question of taste! But its extremly wasteful to 'copy' the theme of an older os with its interface to a newer os. The tendency is vice versa: you can install the scheme of the os6 to your bold9700 with its os5! Its also a question of marketing: a new generation has to be detected as a new one... There is no technical need for changing the layout or scheme... But the market wants it! ;-)

06-19-10 07:08 AM
    By the way...it makes a difference if you are BES or BIS...

06-19-10 07:09 AM
    I understand the point of wanting to have the look of the latest... it's just that the blue highlight sometimes looks out of place with certain wallpapers. I'm probably just weird.

Why does BES/BIS come into play?
    06-19-10 07:13 AM
    BlackBerry offers different OS and Solutions for BES-User...its a question of the administration... I can't explain it to you, cause I'm not deep in this point...
    I agree with you- the blue highlight of selected icons disturbs sometimes... If you want the 'classic' 4.6 scheme for your 9700, contact a theme-developer in this forum. I love (for example) Yuki of YukiDesignz... Its a lovely person with competence and her heart on the right place. Actually she offers a free theme calling tempa9700 in her own thread. Contact her by pm an I'm sure, she will create the os4.6 scheme for your 9700 for a donation! :-)

06-19-10 07:42 AM
    BES / BIS will actually have nothing to do with the appearance of your theme. BES is just a different way for the data to be handled where an admin has privileges to turn on / off features of your device.

As stated above - you'd be best to contact a developer, or check out the TON's of themes already posted, and see if anything else fits your preferences a little better.
    06-19-10 07:55 AM
    Okay- I could be mistaken... I just assume it, cause a colleague of me uses exactly the same device like me, uses BES of my employer and the scheme looks different... I will ask him to get a little more smarter...:-)

06-19-10 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD