so had the iphone since it first came out and got bored of it..went to the at&t store and the salesperson there was raving about his bold 9700 so me being the sucker that i am decided to buy one. this is my first blackberry EVER! now is there any definite dos and donts with a blackberry?i see everyone posting themes on this webpage, how do i get them on my phone?what is the best browser for my phone and where can i download it?any and all help will be greatly appreciated HAPPY HOLIDAYS
    12-24-09 09:06 AM
    jersey... themes....there are three ways for themes to be installed on your device. most theme builders put a ota, over the air, download. that means on the devices browser your navigate to the web page with the theme and download and install from that web page by clicking on the ota link located on the web page. the second way is to download it to your laptop/desktop from the theme builders web site. and than install to your device through the blackberry desktop manager. in this case you need to install the cd that came with your phone, blackberry desktop manager. download the theme. go to applications icon on bbdm, and you will be able to upload the theme to your phone. the third way is through blackberry app world on the phone itself. the themes are slowly but surely popping up to be downloaded directly to the phone. now once a theme is installed you will need to go to options>themes> and select your new instlaled theme to be able to use it. hope this helps. cheers and happy holidays
    12-24-09 09:12 AM
    Check out the Blackberry 101 lessons here on CB... there is a link in my signature, plus there is always a link under "Blackberry Help" at the top of every forum page.

There is a theme forum, that has the theme broken down into individual device themes under it... go out the main forum area and find the themes forum.

Personally I prefer the Blackberry Browser... others like Bolt or Opera Mini.
    12-24-09 09:13 AM
    oh yea and in regards to browser alot of people are using bolt or opera browsers. i personally use opera mini, its fast and effecient. i just tried the new bolt beta browser and it was too glitchy for me.
    12-24-09 09:14 AM
    One of the first things you should know is that when you are done using any app, press menu, close. Do not just hit the end button or back out of apps when you are done. This will ensure better battery life, and prevent sluggishness.

I prefer the blackberry browser to all others.

familiarize your self with the tons of shortcuts a BB offers. Quicklaunch is a great app for shortcuts in addition to the native shortcuts.

Buy screen protector.

With the 9700 you really should not have to but a battery pull (while device is on, pull the battery out to reset) will solve Tons of issues you may run into so always do that first, use the search function on CB second, and then just ask in a new thread if any issue is not resolved.

Bookmark search, it is your friend
    http://forums.crackberry.com/search.php?do=process

Back up your data using Desktop manager. Cannot stress that enough.

You will see "OTA" with some links. That stands for over the air, meaning that you download that link directly from your device as opposed to your PC. Thats how most themes are downloaded- OTA.

Download blackberry app world.
    12-24-09 09:18 AM
    You're a good man Teek

Also familiarize yourself with your carriers BIS Login Site...create a user name and password...this will be very helpful when you get down the road and become a regular CB addict and start wanting to update OS's, swap devices and such or if you are ever having issues and simply need to redend your Service Books...sounds like you are on ATT so just google "ATT BIS LOGIN" and go from there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 09:32 AM
    wow thanks alot guys for the quick responses
    12-24-09 09:40 AM
    Jersey,

QuickLaunch (as the other guys have mentioned) is a great app - you can get it at the Crackberry AppStore. I use this app EVERY day.

I love Smart Guard. It backs up my data every night automatically - just that feature makes it worth it. There is an ongoing fee/subscription to use this. (Either way - remember to back up your contacts/messages/emails etc - whichever method you choose - DM is free of course).

Because a lot of my friends are spread out through the US and the UK - I use the FaceBook application - you can use Facebook Mobile via the BB Browser, but the application is a little nice.

When driving, I use Vlingo - this allows me to 'speak' my SMS and reply to emails with my voice - rather than typing. The application 'learns' the longer you have it - so it gets better.

Viigo - is a RSS/News reader app - I used to use it on my Storm, but it is very bloated. Some people swear by it - guys let me know if this app is 'slimmer' now!!

The Crackberry shortcut - this is an icon that launches Crackberry within your web-browser.

BerryBuzz - I LOVE this app - no I don't want to marry it!! It allows you to assign different colours to each of your emails/PIN's/SMS.

CallBlocker Professional - Block phone calls from specific phone numbers and/or area codes. For example 877, 800 etc.

I bank with Bank of America - so I use their Mobile App (this launches their mobile website).

Google Sync - to sync my Google Calendar and Contacts - this is nice as my work calendar is synched to my Google Calendar.

Kisses - this is a kind of 'Task Manager' for BB.

That's all I can think of right now - I like the games: Civilization and Addictive TOwer Defence!

Have Fun!
    12-24-09 09:47 AM
    Wait!!! Crackberry shortcut?!?!? WHERE?!?!?!
    12-24-09 11:05 AM
    CrackBerry.com Website Launcher - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

Wait!!! Crackberry shortcut?!?!? WHERE?!?!?!
    12-24-09 12:46 PM
    Usually themes have a ota link for downloading

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-09 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD