Hi everyone! I have stock meters for the BB Bold 9700. I use PS and I was wondering how to color the meters (i.e. batter, signal, wlan). I want the battery meter to have a different color on each square but everytime I use the paint bucket tool, it colors everything. Is there a different way of doing this? Thanks!
    01-26-10 12:26 PM
    the easiest method would be to use the marquee square tool and draw a box around the bar you want colored so that when you use the brush/paint bucket, it'll stay within that box.

as with icons with no right angles, you can just use one of the selection tools.
    01-26-10 02:16 PM
    the easiest method would be to use the marquee square tool and draw a box around the bar you want colored so that when you use the brush/paint bucket, it'll stay within that box.

as with icons with no right angles, you can just use one of the selection tools.
    Oh wowww! Thats a really kool tip! Thanks so much!
    01-26-10 02:28 PM

In photoshop go to Image > Adjustments > Replace Color. The top box will be the color you're replacing, and the bottom color box is the color you are replacing it with. I find this to sometimes be the easiest way to change colors, without doing actual pixel by pixel work.
    01-26-10 03:02 PM
    In photoshop go to Image > Adjustments > Replace Color. The top box will be the color you're replacing, and the bottom color box is the color you are replacing it with. I find this to sometimes be the easiest way to change colors, without doing actual pixel by pixel work.
    Hi! I was able to change color of the squares in the battery meter to what I wanted with the Replace Color option. But when I try to change the color of the outline of the battery, it won't do it. It just changes it to a shade of grey. Did I do something wrong?
    01-26-10 03:31 PM
    Hi! I was able to change color of the squares in the battery meter to what I wanted with the Replace Color option. But when I try to change the color of the outline of the battery, it won't do it. It just changes it to a shade of grey. Did I do something wrong?
    i'm not sure but one thing is to make sure you're in the right mode (RGB mode, for example).
    01-26-10 06:02 PM
    i'm not sure but one thing is to make sure you're in the right mode (RGB mode, for example).
    Yea, I just tried everything with the Replace Color option and no matter what color I choose to change to, the image just changes from light grey to dark grey. No pink, yellow, blue, etc..
    01-26-10 09:24 PM
    Yea, I just tried everything with the Replace Color option and no matter what color I choose to change to, the image just changes from light grey to dark grey. No pink, yellow, blue, etc..
    Are you selecting the color you want changed in the top box, and the color to change it to in the bottom box?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Also make sure the color pallete in your tool bar has black as one color and white as the other. I've gotten weird shades from leaving those swatches different colors.
    02-02-10 01:06 PM
    Yea the right color mode would definitely matter. Although I've never had really mess with it... never had any issues with color replacement. Might also make sure you're working with a .png file with a transparent background.

I've done a ton of icons... and your only other option is the paint bucket or pixel by pixel. Even with color replacement... you'll still have to do some pixel by pixel if you want the icons absolutely perfect.
    02-02-10 01:10 PM
    Are you selecting the color you want changed in the top box, and the color to change it to in the bottom box?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. Also make sure the color pallete in your tool bar has black as one color and white as the other. I've gotten weird shades from leaving those swatches different colors.
    Yes, I changed the colors of the boxes, and I had the swatches black and white, but it still only changes to light grey to dark grey. What do I select "Image" or "Selection"?
    02-02-10 01:18 PM
    Yes, I changed the colors of the boxes, and I had the swatches black and white, but it still only changes to light grey to dark grey. What do I select "Image" or "Selection"?
    Okay, then open the icon you're changing. Go up and select Image > adjustments. In here depends on what your icon is looking like to begin with. It's just the stock white icons go to color balance and experiment in there till you get the color you want. Notice the highlight, shadow and 1 other at the bottom... play with those individually or together. If you have a green icon and you want to make it say red... then go to adjustments > saturation and take the saturation slider all the way to the left. This will remove any color, then you can go back to color balance and add in the color you would prefer. I'm trying to just give you the easiest methods to change the overall color of an image.
    02-03-10 01:42 AM
    Okay, then open the icon you're changing. Go up and select Image > adjustments. In here depends on what your icon is looking like to begin with. It's just the stock white icons go to color balance and experiment in there till you get the color you want. Notice the highlight, shadow and 1 other at the bottom... play with those individually or together. If you have a green icon and you want to make it say red... then go to adjustments > saturation and take the saturation slider all the way to the left. This will remove any color, then you can go back to color balance and add in the color you would prefer. I'm trying to just give you the easiest methods to change the overall color of an image.
    Ok thanx! I'll give that method a try!! I appreciate all your help.
    02-03-10 02:25 AM
    Ok thanx! I'll give that method a try!! I appreciate all your help.
    No problem at all. You're welcome!
    02-03-10 05:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD