Let me preface this by stating that this is my first post on this site. I could not find a thread to the specific issue that I'm having, so I decided that I needed to create one.

I have the new BlackBerry 9700 Bold. I've have it for about 2 weeks now and I must say that it's really an improvement to the 8700g that I was previously using. Note: I've had a pearl and a curve before as well.

Here's my issue: I can see my pictures in my pictures folder (and in many cases there's deplicates of each photo). When click on the picture to view, I get a black screen with a little white box in the center (in the white box is a picture of a white line mountain top and a white line sun). <---kindda a default icon. When I click on the photo (or where the photo should be-and this icon is instead), it says this "unable to display file-/device memory/home/user/pictures/(photo name).jpg.

For some reason it doesn't do this to all pictures, merely some of them. And as mentioned above, it shows duplicate of some photos. When I select to delete a duplicate picture (one of them) it says "the selected file is read only. Are you sure you wish to delete this file?"

I make sure that my software is updated daily. This includes the Roxio Blackberry software that the Desktop Manager installed. It's up to date too. I've copied pictures from my phone, to my computer. I've copied pictures from my computer to my phone. I've also taken each picture that's in my phone and copied a duplicate to my media card in my Blackberry, in hopes that this might solve the issue (thinking that maybe it attempts to reference the media card to view photo, and there's nothing there).

When I go into my phones pictures in the Roxio software. Not only does it clearly show all the pictures (which again are visable on the pictures screen, simply not when you click each one to view blown up or on the screen alone), but it doesn't show any duplicates either. This is really STRESSING ME OUT guys, because I feel like I'm losing photos, although I did back them up on my computer. I'm not having access to them on my phone, but it's showing in it.

Also, I've had some problems sending select photos (not all) to people, when the file sizes aren't too large.

Listen, I'm reaching out to get all of your guys knowledge because I'm sure this is probably a simple fix that I simply don't know of...

Also, I keep accidently deleted long texts (while writing) by accidently hitting the alt button and then the delete button (when capitalizing characters, etc). This is annoying.

Also, why am I unable to play videos on the web (like youtube, etc?), when I thought that this was one of the great features offered by the phone? Do I need to install something?

ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry for the long for post guys...a little well needed venting there...
    12-10-09 11:45 AM
    Anyone...?
    12-10-09 02:15 PM
    Sorry, have not had this issue while loading pictures. I have loaded pictures from my camera, wallpapers from the net without any issues. Perhaps these pictures you are trying to load are somehow corrupt? There is an option that pops up when you copy a picture to the 9700 are you using the right option?

The alt delete button is puzzling to me since the alt button is on the opposite side of the keyboard...

I have browsed youtube without any problems thus far without doing anything special. Perhaps carrier specific?
    12-10-09 02:38 PM
    Sorry, have not had this issue while loading pictures. I have loaded pictures from my camera, wallpapers from the net without any issues. Perhaps these pictures you are trying to load are somehow corrupt? There is an option that pops up when you copy a picture to the 9700 are you using the right option?

The alt delete button is puzzling to me since the alt button is on the opposite side of the keyboard...

I have browsed youtube without any problems thus far without doing anything special. Perhaps carrier specific?
    Rumble, thanks for the attempt. I don't know how they would be corrupt...I mean these are pictures I actually take on the 9700 too. Yes there's an option on the uploading, etc on the software, however, I select the "best option" one and like I said, it's only on "some" of the photos.

The alt IS on the other side, but when you're using it to type in numbers, etc, and then hit the delete key, it'll clear the whole text.

I can't watch any videos on the internet. It may be provider specific, but they really pushed this feature while selling it. Also, on the phone comes a sample video, so it obviously has the technology.

Thanks for reply.

Another having the picture problem?
    12-10-09 02:58 PM
    While connected to your PC, enable mass storage mode.
    Browse to your pictures folder and look for a file called bbthumbs.dat - simply delete this file from your phone and once you disconnect from your PC and open the folder from the phone, it will re-index the images in the folder. This also applies to video folders.

In some cases, a battery pull will help as well.
    12-10-09 03:33 PM
    Are they all the same file type for pictures?I would try making them all jpg and see if they work.As far as videos go, try going to m.youtube.com,not all videos will work but a lot should.Good luck.
    12-10-09 03:40 PM
    While connected to your PC, enable mass storage mode.
    Browse to your pictures folder and look for a file called bbthumbs.dat - simply delete this file from your phone and once you disconnect from your PC and open the folder from the phone, it will re-index the images in the folder. This also applies to video folders.

In some cases, a battery pull will help as well.
    Oddly enough, while on my lunch break my phone shut itself down and froze (1st time this has happened). So I did the battery pull, and when I hooked it back up to my computer (for charge) it asked about the mass storage option. I choose to cancel and not answer it. Then I read this. I went to the pictures and all now seem viewable, but in order to prevent from happening in the future, I reconnected it and selected "yes" on the mass storage option. It actually pulled some photos that I hadn't seen in a few days. And since I copied pictures to both my card and my device, I have duplicates again and chose to delete the extra pics of each one. But when I delete the image didn't go away. So I'm currently doing another battery pull. Note: Don't see a file that says "bbthumbs.dat". I'm going to try once the battery is back in, to find this file in my Blackberry Desktop manager and delete if there. But I see progress being made her. Will update soon...

Are they all the same file type for pictures?I would try making them all jpg and see if they work.As far as videos go, try going to m.youtube.com,not all videos will work but a lot should.Good luck.
    Yes, all are jpg. I will try m.youtube.com, but I tried a couple of days ago and none worked. Maybe this "fix" will help with both issues...?

^Thanks guys, will update in a few...^^
    12-10-09 03:56 PM
    did you have the memory card in a previous blackberry the files could be encrypted and not be readable on your new berry
    12-10-09 04:00 PM
    did you have the memory card in a previous blackberry the files could be encrypted and not be readable on your new berry
    I did not. However, the pics were from my computer and not my previous phone.

Actually, everything seems to be working fine after that battery pull guys.

I've just downloaded a bunch of ringtones, and a wallpaper. Let's see how this works out.

Thank you all for your advice/help. I will update if situation gets worse, etc.
    12-10-09 04:59 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm also having problems uploading photos from my BlackBerry Curve 8310 to my PC. They're all jpg files, but they just show up as blank grey boxes. However, on one pic, it seems to have loaded a quarter of the photo. I've never had any problems putting photos onto my PC using my digital camera or other devices.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any ideas.

Thanx

Ryla
    12-20-09 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD