09-18-09 03:18 PM
343 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    i used an 8520 and absolutely loved the trackpad. i concur on your thoughts on it. it's very easy to get used to it. and precise i might add.
    i cant wait to get my hands on the onyx and to try the trackpad.
    08-13-09 09:31 PM
    awesome info
    08-13-09 09:41 PM
    Very informative, thanks.
    08-13-09 09:42 PM
    The edges around the trackpad are awfully thin ...pardon my rant, I just had that part cracked on my 8900
    08-14-09 12:28 AM
    I would love to try this bad boy out!!!! I can't wait for this to drop. I really hope its sooner than later!!!!
    08-14-09 01:36 PM
    Nice to here. I'm looking forward to it coming out. IMO more memory is always a plus, but if rim wants to expand its app world its going to have to start putting in more memory.
    08-15-09 12:22 AM
    I was always saying I would never own a BB. This one has changed my mind for some reason.
    08-15-09 10:45 AM
    The edges around the trackpad are awfully thin ...pardon my rant, I just had that part cracked on my 8900
    Well since you're not going to be applying any major pressure to physically scroll a trackball, it should be okay here.

I just wish they went with a round trackpad instead so that it looks more in line with its past brethren.
    08-15-09 11:48 AM
    Rumor is there is a HW problem with the devices and a new firmware is expected to fix this next week.

The NDAs do not allow people to be specific about the problem or the nature of it, but could I ask those who are at present testing and observing the issue to post a brief "HW issue fixed/not fixed" when the update is pushed out?

A general question just to know whether or not the launch will be delayed..

Thank you
    08-15-09 04:19 PM
    I can't wait for it's release. :O
    08-15-09 05:04 PM
    I now have a purpose in life...gonna save my cash and wait for my beautiful onyx to come out..almost bought a bold today....but for some reason i just could not take the credit card out of my wallet..that was a sign....and now i know why....lol...
    08-15-09 06:33 PM
    Wow this thread got out of hand fast. I guess that's what I get for posting details and pictures...

So a couple of questions that have been generally directed at me.
    The band around the edge is similar to the bold but it is not as shiny and is more charcoal in color. It looks brighter in the pics than it actually is because I took the pictures outside.

The camera is 3.2mp and I don't know if it has autofocus but I will say that it did capture some action shots at the fair (my kids on a moving roller coaster) better.

Phone on the dash, yes while driving I put the phone on the dash, especially right now since no one makes a cradle for this phone yet.

How do you become a tester. Well first at&t doesn't out source this function. It is made up of employees who work as RF engineers, network engineers, network managers, etc who do this on a volunteer basis. Trust me it is not nearly as glamorous as you think. The list of checks and tests we have to go through is very long and for every "cool" device you get to test you usually get 10 of the most boring devices on the planet that you have to test as well...

Lastly anyone can PM me with specific questions but please make sure you've read through the thread and even others areas of the forum as well because odds are it has been answered already...

Thanks,

PG
    lol, this thread is slightly out of hand...oh well. no one seems to have discussed physical weight of the device or battery.

The Bold 9000 used the M-S1 battery while the 8900, 95XX, and 9630 used the D-X1 battery. Does this use either of those?

How does it feel in terms of weight and density? i thought the Bold was an average weight but spread it out over it's large dimensions. The Storm is annoyingly heavy to me. while nearly the same dimensions the Tour is lighter than the Storm but definitely feels dense. I personally like how light the 8900 is but i know some people think it feels awkward and too light.

so, what can we expect for weight? will it wipe around in dress pants or shorts pocket or feel more like a wallet? just curious. probably not a deciding factor but a point of interest while we wait for release, and possibly prepare our spare batteries
    08-15-09 06:57 PM
    If the firmware issue is serious or other bugs arise from it, push back the release and get it right. I don't mind spending the money for a great device.
    08-15-09 07:06 PM
    My Story: So I've been rocking an LG Vu now for over a year now which has completely gone to crap (phone unresponsive to touch screen unless i press insanely hard AND phone every now and then rejects the sim card). So now I 'm going to be able to upgrade my phone on October 14 at AT&T...So it's all about the BlackBerry Onyx for me. I've been able to get over my interest in the iPhone (kinda ironic since i was employed by At&t to be the "product pro" for the iphone 3g back in '08) To me it's just a toy that could break easily, plus i have the iPod touch. I am in love with the Onyx from pre-release images, the features, and everything a smartphone should have. My only issue of the Onyx is the back cover, I'm not excited about it. My reasons:

1. Why is the flash so far away from the camera lens? (does that even matter?...idk but i noticed that the bold and the tour have everything close)

2. The etched BOLD in the back....really? (im sure i'll get over it lol)

3. Charcoal...maybe it'll look better in person, but I'm not freaking out over it.

kinda hoping the back looks like this:
    BlackBerry Onyx 9020 Spotted With A Leather Battery Door! | BlackBerry Rocks!

This will be my first blackberry and I' m very excited for the release. This thread has been VERY helpful in my decision making. Thanks Everyone!!
    08-15-09 09:11 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I heard about this phone. Is it coming out on Verizon or is it AT&T only? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I was looking over the entire forum on this phone and I don't see anything mentioning Verizon so am I correct in assuming it's not coming to Verizon?
    08-15-09 09:31 PM
    storm 2 is in your future verizon customers because you already got the tour.
    08-15-09 09:35 PM
    Ok, thanks.

I have the storm right now and out of the newer ones that RIM has been developing I was looking at this one the most. Guess I'll have to decide between Storm 2 and Tour.

Thanks again.
    08-15-09 09:36 PM
    GSM only from what I can tell. That is one thing about RIM, in their placement of products exclusive to certain carriers. I wish the Tour was on AT&T if only for the fact that I would have the opportunity to get it.
    08-15-09 09:53 PM

1. Why is the flash so far away from the camera lens? (does that even matter?...idk but i noticed that the bold and the tour have everything close)
    I can't talk to the Blackberry standpoint, but from a camera standpoint, the farther your flash is from the lens, the better off you are. One of the reasons most of the compact digital cameras all give so much red-eye is that they have their flash so close to the lens. That's why all the pros with the SLR's had those side extension brackets and flashes attached way off with a sync cable.
    08-15-09 10:20 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I heard about this phone. Is it coming out on Verizon or is it AT&T only? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I was looking over the entire forum on this phone and I don't see anything mentioning Verizon so am I correct in assuming it's not coming to Verizon?
    Verizon just released the Tour, that is your version as far as I know.

The Onyx/Driftwood is a GSM variant.
    08-15-09 10:38 PM
    If the firmware issue is serious or other bugs arise from it, push back the release and get it right. I don't mind spending the money for a great device.
    AT&T is going to release this thing right. The 9000 is a prime example of the process AT&T puts handsets through.
    08-16-09 02:43 AM
    I have no doubt that AT&T will bring a well-tested product to market. There is always pressure to have the next great device on the market and some phones are rushed out. I would rather BB put fewer models out and simply upgrade current models.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 04:47 AM
    we need more pictures!! lol
    08-16-09 12:15 PM
    From what I can tell, the two metal pieces towards the bottom of the phone (on the sides) are the charging ports.
    Ok. Thanks for clarifying.
    08-16-09 12:50 PM
    PG any new updates that you can share with us about the onyx? Anything you have heard from another tester?
    08-17-09 11:48 AM
343 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD