What exactly will my IT department have access to on my BB if I allow them to connect me to their BES server. I would love to get my email and calender items; however, I do not want them to have access to my personal mail and/or my texts and so on.

The BES server feature is great; but RIM really needs to have a way to basically partition your device. To allow you to link with one phone to your work and have all of your personal items; yet keep them separate so if you leave the company and they wipe your device they only wipe the company side. Not all of your personal data.

If anyone has any information on this... that'd be great.

Thanks.
    04-07-10 10:11 AM
    while i can't speak to what personal items they will have access to see, i can tell you they will have the ability to do a remote wipe on your device. (which can be good and bad)
    04-07-10 10:19 AM
    I wouldn't recommend it, but you can do a work around. As for me I have my bb on BIS, but have my company emails sent to my BB as well as calendar events. If you are wanting to see if it works for you give this a try. On your BB, goto setup email. Login and add your company email address (ex: firstname.lastname@company.com) and put in your password. It will try to connect and it will either say connected or cannot connect... Mine connected and pulled in all emails, and calendar entries!!! So it is not connected to the BES, due to the company provides a OWA site to access emails..
    04-07-10 10:23 AM
    What exactly will my IT department have access to on my BB if I allow them to connect me to their BES server. I would love to get my email and calender items; however, I do not want them to have access to my personal mail and/or my texts and so on.
    I am a BES Admin at work but not an expert (ask in the BES forum on here for detailed info), these are the things I can do to our BES Berry users, as far as I know I cannot 'view' stuff on their handsets.

04-07-10 10:35 AM
    If I put your personal BB on BES I can log every text, email, and other types of communication you send. Every dirty text you send your mistress, I will have it.

They really beefed up logging capabilities in BES. I can see everything.

Be careful...
    04-07-10 10:49 AM
    I am a BES Admin at work but not an expert (ask in the BES forum on here for detailed info), these are the things I can do to our BES Berry users, as far as I know I cannot 'view' stuff on their handsets.

Uh, check your logs chief.
    04-07-10 10:50 AM
    It is almost never a good idea to put your personal device on the company BES. You are giving up control and privacy for the convenience of having all your email on one device.

Can a BES administrator read my PIN and/or SMS messages and see my phone call logs?
    Yes, if the BES is version 4.1 or newer and the device is o/s code 4.1 or later.
    • Starting with BES 4.1, the BES admin can log all PIN and SMS messages to the BES server, including the content of those messages.
    • BlackBerry Messenger messages and conversations can also be audited by the BES administrator.
    • In addition, the administrator can view all phone calls made/received to the device including date/time, number dialed, and the name of the person you are calling or who called you if that name is listed in your contact list.

Source: BES Users FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ

See also this link, courtesy of member Motorcycle Momma: What does BES see? What can be tracked?
    04-07-10 10:53 AM
    Uh, check your logs chief.
    Thanks very much for the tip, only been using it a few weeks so still finding my way around the software....its Blackberry Software Express with so far only 8 users.....(sorry to the OP for taking this a little off topic )
    04-07-10 10:59 AM
    I would recommend using the Redirector in DM. It will allow you to get work emails, as if you were on a BES, without giving up the privacy that you get with a BIS account.

Two problems with that though.

1- you computer would need to be on all the time. EDIT: I forgot to add logged in. Now this poses security concerns with most net admins, so tread lightly.
    2- It will only wirelessly sync you email. Any calendar entries or address book changes, you will have to wire up to sync.
    Last edited by DarkPhoenix; 04-07-10 at 11:22 AM.
    04-07-10 11:18 AM
    If you hook up to a BES, they will be able to see anything that is on your phone. They can even put restrictions on it that will prevent you from downloading 3rd party apps, texting, ect. It will all depend on how strick the company you work for is.... I guess an easy way to put it is, they will have 100% control of your phone.
    04-07-10 12:12 PM
    The BES admin can see all your personal emails? The sender and content of the email? This is the first time I ever heard of this. I am very shocked. I just want to be able to see company emails.
    04-07-10 12:36 PM
    OK ... then my suggestion to RIM is to create a partitioned BB. So you can have your work and personal all on one device. I do NOT want 2 devices but I'd like my work data and totally understand their need to keep that information secure. However, they have no right to my personal data. I'd MUCH rather have this kind of feature than a stupid touch screen.

Also -- I did try adding my email via the mail setup and it didn't connect.

So... this basically sucks.. lol

Any other suggestions to get my work eMail and Calendar on my BB without going to the BES??? (I have a laptop and can't leave it on and logged in all the time... so that doesn't work either...)
    04-07-10 12:46 PM
    If I put your personal BB on BES I can log every text, email, and other types of communication you send. Every dirty text you send your mistress, I will have it.

They really beefed up logging capabilities in BES. I can see everything.

Be careful...
    Oh geez.... that must be FUN for an admin who can read the "bosses" messages... lmao!!! Like the CEO and such. I can just imagine the stuff being logged... lol lol
    04-07-10 12:51 PM
    The BES admin can see all your personal emails? The sender and content of the email? This is the first time I ever heard of this. I am very shocked. I just want to be able to see company emails.
    Yes the BES admin can see anything that is on the phone....

Usually if your BB is synced to a BES it is usually owned by the company, or the company pays your wireless bill, therfore they can always argue that they have the right to know what is on the phone as well as what it is being used for. A lot of time BES admins dont waste there time going through everyones personal emails, but there is an option in the BES that you can set key words and anytime it shows up in an email someone sends, or recieves, it will flag the BES admin and he will usually look into it (whether its a work email, or personal) and then will send it to his supervisor.....

The company i manage doesnt allow its employees to have personal email on their bb's.. But our company supplies our employees with a bb, so technically its only theirs while they are working for the company...

I also want to mention that before anyone starts work they sign a contract with us infroming them of our protocol on cell phones, computers, ect, as well as what they can and cannot do with the supplied devices... This covers us legally.
    Last edited by JR750; 04-07-10 at 01:15 PM.
    04-07-10 01:08 PM
    Any other suggestions to get my work eMail and Calendar on my BB without going to the BES??? (I have a laptop and can't leave it on and logged in all the time... so that doesn't work either...)
    Only other suggestion would be to hook you work email up through BIS or forward work emails to the acct on you BB. As for the calendar, just a wired sync, unless you go with a Google solution, like Google Sync. That will sync all of your data that is synced with a Google acct and then sync it with your mobile device.
    04-07-10 01:09 PM
    OK ... then my suggestion to RIM is to create a partitioned BB. So you can have your work and personal all on one device. I do NOT want 2 devices but I'd like my work data and totally understand their need to keep that information secure. However, they have no right to my personal data. I'd MUCH rather have this kind of feature than a stupid touch screen.
    That really defeats a lot of the purposes of what BES is for. If your employer believes there is value in having a BB so you can get synced up on the road they should provide you with one, not have to use your personal one. So having 2 devices is the best option. Sandboxing the "personal" side of a BES enabled device defeats the security of it. Many companies have strict policies of what the device can and cannot be used for. If there is sensitive information on the device that can pose a security risk if leaked. Policies such as locking down the media card or blocking 3rd party apps, and monitoring are all legitimate ways for a company to protect their property and data.

But you're right your company has no right to your personal data. So keep your personal data on a different device.
    04-07-10 01:16 PM
    ^^ +1

My company gave me the option of using my Android device for company email and such, and giving me $40 towards my bill. I wanted to keep work life separate from personal life, so I asked for a Blackberry, and here i go again, back on the CRACK!
    04-07-10 01:23 PM
    If you are on BES, you are being watched most likely.

Last edited by lazerus; 04-07-10 at 02:08 PM.
    04-07-10 01:42 PM
    That really defeats a lot of the purposes of what BES is for. If your employer believes there is value in having a BB so you can get synced up on the road they should provide you with one, not have to use your personal one. So having 2 devices is the best option. Sandboxing the "personal" side of a BES enabled device defeats the security of it. Many companies have strict policies of what the device can and cannot be used for. If there is sensitive information on the device that can pose a security risk if leaked. Policies such as locking down the media card or blocking 3rd party apps, and monitoring are all legitimate ways for a company to protect their property and data.

But you're right your company has no right to your personal data. So keep your personal data on a different device.

I agree that IF a company is going to buy you a device and pay for the device as well as service then they get full control. HOWEVER, in these economic times companies are not buying devices but want you to have access to your work email so you are still their "slave" -- SO... in those cases the 'sandboxing' is very valid. And as time goes on I think more companies will look to do this as providing devices and service is very costly.
    04-07-10 03:14 PM
    If you don't have a blackberry issued from your employer its probably not all too necessary that you receive time sensitive, mobile company emails

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-10 04:02 PM
    Only other suggestion would be to hook you work email up through BIS or forward work emails to the acct on you BB. As for the calendar, just a wired sync, unless you go with a Google solution, like Google Sync. That will sync all of your data that is synced with a Google acct and then sync it with your mobile device.
    I can vouch too that this works fine if your company is using Active Directory/Exchange Server. Just get a tech guy to setup your home/BIS email addy in the Directory as a contact (and hide it from the Exchange GAL), then he can set an auto forward on your company Exchange account to CC everything sent to your Outlook account to your BIS addy. Sync your calendar using DM and this is an ok compromise. You keep your privacy but get visibility of corporate emails. Their IT policy might clash with this though
    04-08-10 02:45 AM
    Very helpful thread. Thanks.
    06-14-10 03:48 PM
    My company recently got off the BIS, and now I can't get my work email. Iphones and Androids can get them, but BBs cannot! Is there a work around to get my work email on my phone?
    06-22-10 09:43 AM
    We have the BES option on our Exchange server, but I tell our users that have personal BlackBerry devices to just use IMAP to add their work account at the BIS portal. (I have to provide them with the info).

This gives them access to their work exchange account in a separate mailbox from their personal and gives me no access to their device.

I will tell you, IMAP is not the best, but for this situation, it works fine.

For myself, I just access the OWA portal using Bolt Browser for my work related emails on my non-work BB.

Just my .02 on the matter.
    06-22-10 09:53 AM
    I can vouch too that this works fine if your company is using Active Directory/Exchange Server. Just get a tech guy to setup your home/BIS email addy in the Directory as a contact (and hide it from the Exchange GAL), then he can set an auto forward on your company Exchange account to CC everything sent to your Outlook account to your BIS addy. Sync your calendar using DM and this is an ok compromise. You keep your privacy but get visibility of corporate emails. Their IT policy might clash with this though
    I wish this was an option for us, but we are on a HOSTED exchange and have limited options.

The IMAP, as Messy as it is works best for us. Sad, huh?
    06-22-10 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD