I know I'm pretty weird to still have a phone from 2009 but if it ain't broke don't fix it! I LOVE my Bold 9700. It does everything I want, is stunningly resilient, and I can write huge emails without looking down. But on the 19th November while in Paris I suddenly wasn't getting emails. Emerging from the chunnel, I expected them to flood in, but nothing. I have restarted, battery out, sim out, I have changed the network and changed back, I have re-sent books, I have re-installed Yahoo mail (yeah I am old school) I have done everything. I walked from one Vodafone shop (my network since 2001) to another and they all laughed at me, 10% from delighted nostalgia, and 90% from disbelief that anyone like me would walk around in the present day fully upright. Needless to say, they would not help me. They offered me expensive phones for a two year contract to pay them off, they said that a Key1 or Key2 would also cost, and furthermore are rubbish. (Folks, avoid Vodafone, they are rude) So basically, my phone displays "EDGE" and never 3G. I can go on the internet to check my emails like it's a dollshouse-sized laptop, and I can search online as much as I ever could, but no emails come. Nary a one. When I'm signed in to WiFi, up comes a little tiny blackberry logo under the EDGE. That is all. Any help/advice gratefully received!
    Jason Page likes this.
    11-24-18 03:25 AM
    My carrier in the US retired their old tower equipment two years ago. My ability to function effectively and efficiently has been my downfall as a result of these tower upgrades and no BlackBerry BBOS model to support the new tower tech. And also BIS maybe EOL, at least in the US unless you depend on BES with your company work.

I know a lot of folks will say stuff like "get on with the times already," however there is much to the simplicity and utilitarism that is lost to the bloat of today's mainstream touch screen glamour such as the Android and iOS systems.

BlackBerry once shined bright as being the alternative business orientated smarts.

I am sick of being in the pool of little to no choices. BlackBerry is working with a phone company in Switzerland that maybe a compromise....it is a feature phone that does email and sorts with excellent battery life. BB has it listed as available phones on their website.
    11-24-18 09:04 AM
    My carrier in the US retired their old tower equipment two years ago. My ability to function effectively and efficiently has been my downfall as a result of these tower upgrades and no BlackBerry BBOS model to support the new tower tech. And also BIS maybe EOL, at least in the US unless you depend on BES with your company work.

I know a lot of folks will say stuff like "get on with the times already," however there is much to the simplicity and utilitarism that is lost to the bloat of today's mainstream touch screen glamour such as the Android and iOS systems.

BlackBerry once shined bright as being the alternative business orientated smarts.

I am sick of being in the pool of little to no choices. BlackBerry is working with a phone company in Switzerland that maybe a compromise....it is a feature phone that does email and sorts with excellent battery life. BB has it listed as available phones on their website.
    Let me save both of you some trouble. Old technology is being phased out at the carrier level. Carriers are refarming the spectrum for LTE and 5G coverage.

Get a tablet with a KB or a PKB device ala KEYx. Some have suggested the use of a Surface Tablet with PKB attachment. Then, purchase a dumb phone.
    11-24-18 09:57 AM
    I am managing with the KeyOne right now and waiting for a qwerty version of the Punkt that also does email and has an app depository, I just imagine it maybe in the works for the mp03, here is the link to the mp02, it is loaded with and supported by BlackBerry's Security software.

https://www.punkt.ch/en/products/mp02-4g-mobile-phone/
    11-24-18 11:56 AM
    I am managing with the KeyOne right now and waiting for a qwerty version of the Punkt that also does email and has an app depository, I just imagine it maybe in the works for the mp03, here is the link to the mp02, it is loaded with and supported by BlackBerry's Security software.

https://www.punkt.ch/en/products/mp02-4g-mobile-phone/
    I’m curious about the future of the Punkt line. I don’t think anyone really knows what to expect with Microsoft looking to move things along on Surface front but not really phones.
    11-24-18 07:00 PM
    Some carriers are phasing out certain technologies, could that be the problem. Check the following to see if so, GL :

Will My Phone Work?
    https://willmyphonework.net/
    11-25-18 05:34 PM
    The only alternative OS that is on horizon that has any design resemblince to the BBOS is KaiOS.

Phones supporting this here:
    https://www.kaiostech.com/meet-the-d...ered-by-kaios/
    11-25-18 06:07 PM
    Spectrums are limited and there is no business sense to keep something like CDMA or Edge for a few clients when those spectrum can be reallocated to everyone else.

It’s like saying that a few should force everyone to compromise
    11-25-18 06:29 PM
    No one argues against that. Although there is market demand untapped for modern devices that work more like the BBOS design. Seems to me a lot of market potential to if BB would license out it's BBOS source to who ever wants to tap in that demand. BB spent a lot on it in R&D to be just left for dust.
    11-25-18 09:15 PM
    No one argues against that. Although there is market demand untapped for modern devices that work more like the BBOS design. Seems to me a lot of market potential to if BB would license out it's BBOS source to who ever wants to tap in that demand. BB spent a lot on it in R&D to be just left for dust.
    The carriers don’t want to continue support because carriers don’t want to share data revenue and want to increase data usage not decrease.
    11-25-18 11:06 PM
    The carriers don’t want to continue support because carriers don’t want to share data revenue and want to increase data usage not decrease.
    And this is where commercial market forces destroy function practicality! Won't go political on this other than to just flat out say: I agree however this is wrong!
    PatriciaBold likes this.
    11-25-18 11:23 PM
    Yeah maybe there is a market. Just like there’s a market for cassette players. But the problem is that it doesn’t cost much to develop a cassette player... but it would cost billions to develop for BBOS
    11-26-18 09:39 AM
    Discussion moved here.
    12-16-18 09:22 PM