So while sifting through the many themes here on Crackberry today I've noticed that people tend to make up their own words when describing their creations. While individuality is great it makes trying to find a theme difficult because users often have to download several themes they're never going to use to figure out weather or not its even what they wanted.

Listed below are the original and common names for types of themes that I am hoping future builders will stick to.

Zen (aka bottom dock): Standard theme. No hidden or today pop ups, just the regular icons on the bottom dock and that's it. The point is to change the background, menus colors, lock screen and so forth. All other themes are based on Zen themes just with more added on.

Today (originally call precision): Often shows messages emails and calendar on the home screen but may show only one of these or a different combination. These are permanently there, they do not move or hide.

Hidden Today: Very similar to a Today theme, the only difference being you have to scroll over an app for example the Calendar to see the items on the home screen.

Non Hidden Today: There's No Such Thing!! Either its Non Hidden which would be Today or Non Today which would make it Zen.

Icon: Shows all icons in grid layout similar to the menu screen. No "home screen".

Static: I've seen this around lately and am not sure what its supposed to mean. Spent an hour googleing it and came up blank....

A side note items like with hidden docks and "transitions" are not types of themes (even the "L theme" which is just where the icons sit in an l shape). It is a Today theme with hidden docks and so forth.

Did I miss any???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 11:19 AM
    Ummmm.... Theme developers can call their custom themes whatever they want. Every theme I've ever seen has a good description of it's features and what it does, and about 99% of them have screenshots. I'm not sure what the problem is... I've downloaded some themes I didn't like, but it's been because I didn't like the way they work or my phone just didn't like them. Never have I downloaded a theme that wasn't what I expected to be...

12-13-10 11:39 AM
    I didn't mean it to be rude or anything, I just think it would help people in general if it had one specific name. The 9630 is also called the tour. If every sprint store in the US had a different name for the 9630 weather it was the tour, the bold, the one with the sim slot, the one with the silver on it or whatever else it would be difficult to be sure you bought the 9630 until you had it and played with it and found out for yourself. That could be a real pain for consumers. All I'm saying is that using the correct type or name of a theme in a title can really help consumers find what they want.

12-13-10 01:26 PM

Static: I've seen this around lately and am not sure what its supposed to mean. Spent an hour googleing it and came up blank....
    I've used "Static" when refering to a dock that doesn't move or hide but I guess the actual term to use would be "Stationary". The reference "static" is commonly used in the IT world for describing how a computer or device handles an ip number. A static ip address never changes or is "permanate". In this case like the location of a dock that doesn't change, is permanate, is stationary or static.
    12-13-10 03:29 PM
    I didn't mean it to be rude or anything, I just think it would help people in general if it had one specific name. The 9630 is also called the tour. If every sprint store in the US had a different name for the 9630 weather it was the tour, the bold, the one with the sim slot, the one with the silver on it or whatever else it would be difficult to be sure you bought the 9630 until you had it and played with it and found out for yourself. That could be a real pain for consumers. All I'm saying is that using the correct type or name of a theme in a title can really help consumers find what they want.

If nothing else I thought this was great as a refresher for newbies who don't know the difference in themes.

12-26-10 02:59 PM
    So while sifting through the many themes here on Crackberry today I've noticed that people tend to make up their own words when describing their creations. While individuality is great it makes trying to find a theme difficult because users often have to download several themes they're never going to use to figure out weather or not its even what they wanted.

Listed below are the original and common names for types of themes that I am hoping future builders will stick to.

Zen (aka bottom dock): Standard theme. No hidden or today pop ups, just the regular icons on the bottom dock and that's it. The point is to change the background, menus colors, lock screen and so forth. All other themes are based on Zen themes just with more added on.

Today (originally call precision): Often shows messages emails and calendar on the home screen but may show only one of these or a different combination. These are permanently there, they do not move or hide.

Hidden Today: Very similar to a Today theme, the only difference being you have to scroll over an app for example the Calendar to see the items on the home screen.

Non Hidden Today: There's No Such Thing!! Either its Non Hidden which would be Today or Non Today which would make it Zen.

Icon: Shows all icons in grid layout similar to the menu screen. No "home screen".

A side note items like with hidden docks and "transitions" are not types of themes (even the "L theme" which is just where the icons sit in an l shape). It is a Today theme with hidden docks and so forth.

Did I miss any???

For cb purposes check out:

BlackBerry Themes ** Read This First: Theme Posting Guidelines updated 07/01/09 **

I usually have more than one variation for my themes, so what I do, is a title it: Free - Name of Theme - Model of phone - OS
    12-28-10 06:35 PM

Zen also includes the icons along the side.

Precision is actually the name of the style of icons, which can be found on 5.0+ devices.

This is a Today theme.

If a theme has static icons, that means that you could not change them. The builder would decide which icons were in the theme, and build it that way. Non user defined would be the proper term for this.

Did I miss any???
    Hidden docks, transitions, round docks, scrolling docks, etc. are all just add ons. Initially, the theme has to start as either Today, Zen or custom. So if you do a hidden dock with 6 icons at the bottom, it is just a Zen theme with a hidden dock.

As for missing one, there is one left out. That is Today Plus.

12-28-10 06:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD