08-06-10 10:31 AM
57 123
tools
    I was just curious as to why so many people seem so bent out of shape over the whole 'crooked' trackpad issue. I just got my Bold on Friday. While reading over the forums this weekend I found the threads about the crooked trackpad. Sure enough, looking at mine, it is indeed crooked/slanted. Honestly, I wouldnt have even noticed it if it were not for the threads here. Are those of you who are unhappy about this issue having any sort of functionality issues because of it? On mine, though its crooked, I dont have any issues what so ever. So, outside of it being a purely aesthetic issue for me, I'm not overly concerned about it.

Unfortunately in the sad realities of today, it seems more and more products come out with minor aesthetic issues or bigger functionality issues. Is it right for manufacturers to put product out the door like that? No, it isnt. Is it going to change anytime soon? No, it wont. The market for anything these days is so competitive that there is more emphasis on getting product out the door rather then making it "solid".
    07-19-10 11:57 AM
    Not a big deal with me either. Mine is slightly tilted, and I would have never noticed it until someone here posted a thread with a picture. Trackpads on 9700 are much worse, I've seen them completely sunken into the menu/back buttons.
    07-19-10 11:59 AM
    people love to complain about everything. nothing rim can do will make these people happy..just go look at the OS6.0 forum. I just wish they just go get the iphone or droid already and just leave.
    07-19-10 12:04 PM
    Mine is slightly slanted. It's not a big deal to me. It works perfectly.
    07-19-10 12:13 PM
    A bunch of the BB habitual complainers moved the the OS6 forum from the new & rumors forum...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 12:27 PM
    Mine is also slanted, and like plkcable said, I would have never even noticed it if it had not been mentioned in the forums. What is more concerning to me is the problems that so many people have had with their keypads with paint "chipping" off of the keys. The only problem that I've had in this regard is that the bump on my D key has worn off so that there is a tiny pin ***** of light that comes through it that can be seen when the keypad is lit up in a dark room. I started to get worried about this but I had the same thing happen to my Tour and I never noticed until I once again read these forums. My Bold has been a great phone and a great productivity tool for me...So, I'm extremely happy with my phone.
    07-19-10 12:34 PM
    Mine is slightly higher on the left, just slightly. I'm right handed so it actually fits my thumb perfectly. If it was even it actually might be more of a problem for me. I like the ergonomic style that mine has. It fits my hand perfectly.
    07-19-10 12:47 PM
    O.
    C.
    D.

Mine's a little off but I don't care.
    07-19-10 01:46 PM
    Agreed. Non issue for me. I'd love to see a pic of the habitual returners' trackpad. Maybe it's hugely off. Most likely not. My "eX" used to complain about the slightest thing. Drove me nuts, never happy. No wonder she's the ex.

07-19-10 02:18 PM
    Too bad VZW is handing them back and saying: "It works, enjoy, have a nice day."
    07-19-10 02:20 PM
    i have a slightly tilted trackpad as well and wouldn't really have noticed until i started reading other people had this as well. it hasn't caused any issues so far, hopefully it won't in the future. i don't see having to return it over a minor issue. my phone works fine and i'm a happy camper!

i think the reason people are making complaints is the fact they want what they pay for and i understand that. when you're buying something, you're expecting it to be in top form and build. what's wrong with expecting that when you purchase a blackberry there shouldn't be any aesthetic issues such as crooked trackpads, peeling letters, etc. the company should really keep quality control in check and make sure that the products that are being released are all coming out in top shape. if there are issues, fix it right away.

ok, don't want to ramble or start a debate, just my two cents!
    07-19-10 02:30 PM
    Mine is slightly slanted - BUT - I have seen them much worse. Like sharply jutting up on the left side and all the way below the back button on the right. If mine was like that out of the box I would have asked for a different one.

Mine's so minor I don't care - but if it sinks to the point of losing functionality I have a 1 year warranty to correct the issue.
    07-19-10 03:00 PM
    I've been wondering the same thing for some time now.

Same for me as many others here, I would have never noticed it had I not seen a post on the subject.

I think if I worked in a wireless retail store and someone came in complaining about this, I'd start looking around for the hidden camera.

07-19-10 03:39 PM
    Too bad VZW is handing them back and saying: "It works, enjoy, have a nice day."
    I like so many am getting tired of the slanted TP threads. Sure, mine has a slight slant to it but who cares. The phone works and the slant does not iterfere.

I feel that my battery issues are a bigger problem, did a swap and I'm not getting much better battery life so now I just carry a spare battery with me, as a motter of fact I just popped out a battery and put a charged one in my phone as I was down to 21% and dropping at like 8%/hr.

But the fact is that the phone works very well and I can live with some minor inconveniences.
    07-19-10 03:42 PM
    my d letter bump has worn off as well. no big deal though.

Mine is also slanted, and like plkcable said, I would have never even noticed it if it had not been mentioned in the forums. What is more concerning to me is the problems that so many people have had with their keypads with paint "chipping" off of the keys. The only problem that I've had in this regard is that the bump on my D key has worn off so that there is a tiny pin ***** of light that comes through it that can be seen when the keypad is lit up in a dark room. I started to get worried about this but I had the same thing happen to my Tour and I never noticed until I once again read these forums. My Bold has been a great phone and a great productivity tool for me...So, I'm extremely happy with my phone.
    07-19-10 04:02 PM
    Use a bit of black nail polish or a sharpie on the dot, whatever works best.
    07-19-10 04:15 PM
    I am waiting for replacement number 7 and some are barely slanted with I agree is not that big of a deal, but some are really really crooked so much that a bunch of light shines through on one side. I think those are the people complaining and I don't blame them.
    07-19-10 04:38 PM
    because we have to look at it everytime we use phone and i've had friends or coworkers look at my phone and tell me its crooked. its not only crooked but feels loose sometimes and feels very flimsy. this is my 3rd 9650 and all have been same way. i didnt exchange them for this issue
    07-19-10 04:56 PM
    i've had friends or coworkers look at my phone and tell me its crooked.
    Again, if it works...... as for the friends/co-workers...who cares?
    07-19-10 05:17 PM
    i've been fighting for week with people who have been
    taking their phone apart to fix the track pad. however,
    SERIOUSLY Rim needs to make the phone right...If the pad
    bother you keep sending the device back. Its just not acceptable
    and it s a joke that this company doesn' give a ****. Where the
    the Q/C with all these companies. these are $500 devices,,
    do not throw in the towel.............don't fix them on your own ,,,
    make them eat them
    07-19-10 06:28 PM
    Same here mi trackpad on the side where the bb key is it is raised and on the side where the back key is it is flush with it. So I find my self geting it confused with the back key all the time cause I don't have to look at my keyboad to type. So I find myself using the side that is raised cause it is easier to find. Point is I like it and if it was completely flush it would probably be a problem.

07-19-10 07:11 PM
    Not a big deal what so ever to me either, but some people are just really particular about that, I think that's what it comes down to
    07-19-10 07:16 PM
    I (unlike many who have replied to this thread) did notice my trackpad being slanted before ever reading a thread on here. Honestly, this is the first thread I have seen so I have to say, I am happy to know it isn't just mine! With that being said, my phone functions fine and it isn't an issue. I am somewhat of a perfectionist and when I first saw this I was upset and wished RIM had it right. But oh well...
    07-19-10 07:51 PM
    Mine is slanted. I likely wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't read about the issue prior to buying the phone. It doesn't degrade the functionality of the trackpad or the phone. It feels tilted, sure, but it isn't keeping me up at night, personally.

Honestly, I think (some) people just need something to whine about. Are there instances of the trackpad being horribly off-kilter and negatively affecting the user experience? I'm sure. But most people are just super picky. And yes, to a point, we should expect better build quality, but these are mass produced electronic devices and it's hard to achieve perfection.
    07-20-10 02:04 AM
    Why are people making such a big deal about it??? Are you serious? If the 9650 cost $50 before rebate and was free with a 2 year contract then I would say thats acceptable. Now for a device that costs people $200 of their hard earned money now that is 100% unacceptable in my opinion. If I'm going to pay $200 for something like a phone then I want it to be at 100% condition. just my $.02
    07-20-10 05:18 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD