I have a 9650 from Verizon and I am thinking about unlocking it and using it on AT&T...I just wonder who else is doing that, and how is the performance of it? I love the form factor and would like to use it every now and then without buying a 9700 for AT&T..just looking for opinions..I've never unlocked a phone before from a different carrier and used on another.
    12-13-11 10:20 PM
    You won't get 3G and getting internet on the phone will be a hassle.

I'd recommend selling the 9650 or trading to get the 9700.
    12-13-11 10:23 PM
    I would recommend also selling it, and getting the 9700. The performance simply is not worth it, unless you are completely strapped for a phone, and do not have the funds or the means to use another device until you can find a 9700.
    12-13-11 10:31 PM
    If you will unlock your Blackberry Bold 9650 it will be sim free and you will be able to use it with other carrier by using gsm sim card.
    But you will get only EDGE connection with At&t sim card and i would join the others and suggest you to get a GSM Blackberry Bold device such as the Blackberry Bold 9700 (or, Bold 9780 if you have the budget).

But unlocking can also be a good idea if you are going to sell it because it will worth more and it will be much more easy to sell unlocked Blackberry Bold 9650 device. you will also reach more clients as for it can be used with gsm carriers worldwide when unlocked.
    12-16-11 11:43 PM
    Thanks for the info. I do realize that it will be slower since it will only be on EDGE...I have used a Curve 8900 for a couple of years on AT&T and of course it only had edge, and I did okay with it, would you compare the 9650 to run about the same way on edge as my 8900 did? I still have my Atrix 4g to fall back on, but I'm really missing BB lately lol.
    12-26-11 12:34 PM
    Yes the same download speed for browsing. Email and BBM will be the same.
    12-26-11 02:24 PM
    Oh okay..that's good to know atleast I know that will still workout ok for me when I want to use my 9650. Anyone know if there is a way to send MMS through text? Or is that just something that can't happen?
    12-26-11 02:58 PM
    There's a tutorial on here to make the MMS working on At&T . You'll need to input AT&T apn setting first..
    12-26-11 08:52 PM
    Ok so I called At&T to get switched back over to a blackberry data plan and they asked for my imei so I gave that to them and told them it's unlocked..etc..I have the sim in the 9650 and I can make calls, text, but unable to use any data unless on Wi-Fi...and the edge is lower case. For some reason they are not able to add that sim with a bb data plan....so they had to open up a case and I should expect a resolution in a week...that's crazy.they said they can't explain it. Any ideas for others who have done this? I've used it before on a bb data plan when I had an att bb with no problem...so I don't know why there is a problem now....frustrating
    12-27-11 12:35 PM
    Is the PIN on the 9650 clear? That could be the issue.
    12-27-11 04:13 PM
    Ok, got everything working now. At&t were able to add it and now everything works..except MMS, but the rep I talked to he tried to walk me through steps to configure it, but was unable to find it. He did give me a code to put in if I find out where to put it, does this sound familiar to anyone?
    12-29-11 06:50 PM
    There's a tutorial on here to make the MMS working on At&T . You'll need to input AT&T apn setting first.
    Ok, got everything working now. At&t were able to add it and now everything works..except MMS, but the rep I talked to he tried to walk me through steps to configure it, but was unable to find it. He did give me a code to put in if I find out where to put it, does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Most likely they are the APN settings.
    12-29-11 07:03 PM
    Oh I see. Do you know what those settings should be? I'm amazed at how fast this 9650 is even though it's only capable of EDGE on AT&T. I mean it's of course not fast like my Atrix, but just as fast it seems as my 9800 I used to have.
    12-29-11 07:08 PM
    Try this:

Step 1: On your BlackBerry, go to Options - device - advanced -
    Step 2: Find the TCP/IP option
    Step 3: Enter “wap.cingular” in the APN field
    Step 4: Enter “wap@cingulargprs.com” in the Username field
    Step 5: Enter “CINGULAR1″ in the Password field
    Step 6: Save and exit the TCP/IP screen and find the Host Routing Tables screen
    Step 7: In the options, choose Register Now. You will receive a “message sent” notification.
    Step 8: If you do not receive an instant email saying your device was registered, contact AT&T and ask them to provision your phone onto their network.
    12-29-11 08:58 PM
    I can now send MMS! Thanks to using the crackutil app and loading at&t service books...works even better now, no flaws at all. Thanks you all for the help/advice!
    12-30-11 08:34 PM
    Your welcome.
    12-31-11 07:32 AM
    Try this:

Step 1: On your BlackBerry, go to Options - device - advanced -
    Step 3: Enter wap.cingular in the APN field
    Step 4: Enter wap@cingulargprs.com in the Username field
    Step 5: Enter CINGULAR1? in the Password field
    Step 6: Save and exit the TCP/IP screen and find the Host Routing Tables screen
    Step 7: In the options, choose Register Now. You will receive a message sent notification.
    Step 8: If you do not receive an instant email saying your device was registered, contact AT&T and ask them to provision your phone onto their network.
    I have the same problem but With T Mobile Do you have the information to Write in for the APN ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-12 09:03 PM
    T-MOBILE USA APN SETTINGS:

Step 1: On your BlackBerry, go to Options -(Device on OS 6/7) Advanced -
    Step 3: Enter “epc.tmobile.com” in the APN field – do not check the authentication box
    Step 4: Save and exit the TCP/IP screen and find the Host Routing Tables screen
    Step 5: In the options, choose Register Now. You will receive a “message sent” notification.
    Step 6: If you do not receive an instant email saying your device was registered, contact T-Mobile and ask them to provision your phone onto their network.
    01-15-12 10:27 AM
    I'm having the same problem. could you please tell me how you solved it in details? Thank you very much
    02-13-12 10:01 PM
    i have the blackberry 9650 as well and im wondering what the att apn would be I called att but the agent I got wasn't sure
    04-21-15 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD