hey should i swich my setting to 1xev or leave on global? i'm live in the states and dont leave the country.does it matter or not? thanks in advance
    05-22-10 12:38 PM
    ALWAYS leave it on 1XEV, unless you go out of the country
    05-22-10 12:40 PM
    Honestly, it doesn't really matter one way or the other.
    05-22-10 01:06 PM
    Putting it on 1XEV prevents your phone from searching for GSM bands which can have a slight effect on battery life. The difference on battery is minimal to no difference at all. Other that that, like above poster said, doesn't matter what you leave it on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-10 06:07 PM
    Ok after a 20min search I found the thread lol..... I would really like to know what is really different between global and 1XEV. My phone searches for a cdma network when its set to 1XEV anyway so is it killing my batt. I notice when its set to global I don't even lose signal nor did I ever see it search for a cdma network I'm confused. I posed this in the tour section because I found that thread first so please don't flame on me......lol

06-26-10 12:30 AM
    I had posted this question in the Carriers/ Sprint section (GSM Roaming?). What I found was in Global mode the phone will try to connect to either CDMA or GSM formats (1XEV is CDMA). Best I can figure out, and what others said was Sprint strictly uses CDMA in the US, even if roaming. So I reset from Global to 1XEV, and it has seemed to help battery life.
    Last edited by berryaddictnoza; 06-26-10 at 01:13 AM.
    06-26-10 12:50 AM
    I had posted this question in the Carriers/ Sprint section (GSM Roaming?). What I found was in Global mode the phone will try to connect to either CDMA or GSM formats (1XEV is CDMA). Best I can figure out, and what others said was Sprint strictly uses CDMA in the US, even if roaming. So I reset from Global to 1XEV, and it has seemed to help battery life.
    That's why I'm confused cause I have it set to 1XEV home only and it always lose signal and searches for a cdma network so isn't that killing my batt ?

06-26-10 01:24 AM
    That's why I'm confused cause I have it set to 1XEV home only and it always lose signal and searches for a cdma network so isn't that killing my batt ?
    Hmmm, wierd. I know that when a phone is searching for a network it's using max power and draining the battery. I see you're on Sprint, so if you are in Global, does it show that you are roaming? (a triangular icon on the top of the screen)
    06-26-10 01:33 AM
    Hmmm, wierd. I know that when a phone is searching for a network it's using max power and draining the battery. I see you're on Sprint, so if you are in Global, does it show that you are roaming? (a triangular icon on the top of the screen)
    Nope. I'm not roaming or anything. I had called sprint about this the other day and was told the tower which isn't to far from where I live was not working good or whatever excuse they made up. Batt life is important to me and I guess I'm gonna half to see which option is better. I've had it set to global for like 3hrs and it didn't search for a cdma network or lose signal it holds a steady 2-3 bars in my house but when I'm set to 1XEV my signal is in and out searching sometimes I have 1x x ...... Thanks for the quick feed back....

06-26-10 01:48 AM
    Maybe try changing the Network Selection Mode from Home Only to Automatic while in 1XEV.
    06-26-10 02:06 AM
    Maybe try changing the Network Selection Mode from Home Only to Automatic while in 1XEV.
    Yeah I'll give that a shot. I always set it to home only cause every time I went to sprint and complained about it that's what they set it to even with my tours.....

06-26-10 02:24 AM
    I just returned from an overseas trip. When I landed my phone only locked on to SOS only. After about 10 min I went in and changed from global to 1XEV. It searched for CDMA, locked on and was OK. But then it received about 100 emails, locked up and needed a battery pull to recover.
    06-26-10 01:36 PM
    I understood that 'home only' means that the device will only hit Sprint towers or towers that belong to other carriers in which Sprint has collaborated with; and 'automatic' allows the device to hit not only Sprint's towers, but foreign towers as well. The foreign towers are the towers that we 'roam' on. Now, if this is correct, it only stands to reason that if you're set to 'home only' and you start to move away from Sprint's service area, instead of the device hitting whatever tower that's available (pushing you into roaming status) your device will 'search' until it receives a 'Sprint' signal. This incessant searching is what causes battery drain. This same principal applies to 1XEV vs. global. My personal default is 1XEV and automatic, and I have no battery complaints.
    06-26-10 11:41 PM
    I've used it both ways, both in the US and abroad, on both my 8830 and 9630 (I didn't get my 9650 until I got back to the US), and speaking from experience, it doesn't make a difference one way or the other which way you have it set. You have to actually call Sprint to activate GSM roaming, and they have no roaming agreements with GSM carriers in the US, so it's not going to look for a GSM signal at all while stateside. I always leave mine set to Global, so that I don't have to remember to switch it to GSM when I go to Europe, and back to 1XEV when I return to the US. I guess it all boils down to personal preference.

07-10-10 10:10 PM
    In my case, the Global setting caused problems reconnecting to the network after leaving an area with no service. After setting networks to LTE/CDMA about a week ago, I haven't had the problem.

I wish I could stop the annoying popup asking me to switch to Global, though. Happens every time I enter an area with no service. Anyone know how to disable that?
    09-27-15 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD